Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

GRS and Europa shadow transit tonight - 3rd May

Stu

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Peco4321 said:

Absolutely no point in going out when the neighbours got her stupid art and craft light on, ruins many a night! ?

image.jpeg

A pain, but shouldn't stop you observing Jupiter. Also looks relatively easy to shield?

Just got back in, seeing was very good here.

It was nice looking looking through a scope again, it's been about a year and 4 months since I last looked through one.

A brief but very nice view for me. Went out at 9.25 and back in by 9.45pm! GRS very well positioned, shadow jet black and plenty of belt detail to be seen including the turbulence following GRS. Europa's disk showed up nicely as it approached the limb and I just saw it forming a 'pimple' before calling it a night.

I do like this EQ Platform, very quick and easy way to have a stable view, just a few minutes to set up and pack away.

Really enjoying the view from here and shadow only half way so hopefully more to see if cloud stays at bay. Better seeing than most recent nights. The shadow is very sharp and definitely more details on the planets disc than I've seen for a while. Got both scopes out tonight but not sure which view I prefer, the sharper detail of the frac or the colour in the newt? think I'll swap eyepieces over and see if that changes things.

Clouds getting worse here, can barely make out the main stars in Leo, still nice view GRS shadow and four moons now, won't stand any more magnification though.

Dave

Just had to come in after an hour. Ye old clouds have beat me but saying that. Think that's my best ever session with Big J ??

Skytee plus my Meade 127 - binoviewers - TV zooms and 2x Barlow. Played around with mags. Never worked out the numbers but lovely seeing.  GRS clear. Can I see colour or do my eyes deceive me ??  Probably. Detailed belts. Pinpoint shadow and then Europa popping into view. 

Grabbed my C9.25 for a few mins. Not a fair fight with my big frac. It lost on points as expected due to no cool down time. 

Chuffed to say the least. 

Hope everyone else had / having a good session. Looking at the other posts most have had a good butchers at Jove 

Regards. John 

25 minutes ago, Telescope40 said:

Just had to come in after an hour. Ye old clouds have beat me but saying that. Think that's my best ever session with Big J ??

Skytee plus my Meade 127 - binoviewers - TV zooms and 2x Barlow. Played around with mags. Never worked out the numbers but lovely seeing.  GRS clear. Can I see colour or do my eyes deceive me ??  Probably. Detailed belts. Pinpoint shadow and then Europa popping into view. 

Grabbed my C9.25 for a few mins. Not a fair fight with my big frac. It lost on points as expected due to no cool down time. 

Chuffed to say the least. 

Hope everyone else had / having a good session. Looking at the other posts most have had a good butchers at Jove 

Regards. John 

You certainly can see colour John. The GRS itself is looking darker than previous years, a kind of brick orange colour, various other shades of creams, browns and pinks are visible in the belts, all subtle but there. Festoons look a kind of grey blue colour to me.

Very enjoyable couple of hours on Jupiter, forecast is for the clouds to clear so will leave scope set up and have a look out around midnight to have a shot at Saturn.

Dave

Just seeing through the end of the GRS transit here. It's been a pleasant couple of hours. Sky not much good now for DSO's but I might explore some binaries.

Thanks again for the "heads up" Stu :icon_biggrin:

Best session for me with Jupiter. Called it a night at 10:20pm as seeing was getting worse, and I was getting too chilly. Warming up now with tea and biscuits. Sorry if I posted up too many comments, but just enjoyed the show tonight. :) 

5 minutes ago, Knighty2112 said:

Best session for me with Jupiter. Called it a night at 10:20pm as seeing was getting worse, and I was getting too chilly. Warming up now with tea and biscuits. Sorry if I posted up too many comments, but just enjoyed the show tonight. :) 

Please post as freely as you like, that's what the thread was for ??????. Glad to hear you had good views.

Managed a few decent views in between the clouds here. GRS was certainly looking good and a nice sharp moon shadow, but not much colour or details in the cloud bands. Eventually had to give up as the cloud thickened. In fact I just noticed that it has started to rain.

Archived