Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Nearly did some astro

nightfisher

Lot of scudding cloud but a tempting moon, a little experiment to try, so set up, in the few minutes it took to lob an EQ5 outside, i felt the first hint of rain.......it will pass i tell myself, put Mak on the mount and go indoors for the DSLR.....one quick peek as i centre the scope on the Luna disk, swap over to camera and full cloud plus rain, this is the first time i have had a chance to do astro in about 4 months........im finding it hard to stick with the plan to keep all the scopes, no wonder im always pratting on about just having one scope

rant over

Went out six o'clock. Clear skies. Opened shed roof. switched everything on. Started to rain. Shut roof. Rain stopped. Opened roof. Went into warm room. Funny noises on roof. Really heavy rain now. Closed roof again.

Half an hour later clear skies. Tried again. Mount working, camera working, guide cam working. Five minutes into first image computer crashes. Rebooted everything and finally by seven thirty I can start imaging.

I sometimes wonder why we bother!

Yes, only commented to my wife that I haven't really used the scope since summer, it seems. Was trying to decide had I lost the bug, not finding the time, or just bad weather/moon/commitments...

Barry

I think the complete reverse.

With the equipment I have built up the last year or 2, I'm only selling on what I don't need any more and will keep what I do / will use.

I don't sell my motor bike every winter where I can't use it for weeks on end!

My point is - a strong interest is always there, whatever the weather. There's always tomorrow and the stars will always be there.

Don't sell up due to the weather, you'll regret it.

Remember November was the cloudiest for 83 years, and December was essentially the same weather pattern.

These conditions are becoming more likely, but won't be every winter in future.

I'm also painfully aware that I have missed several opportunities for reasons from early meetings to apathy. I have to get up between 6 and 7 to put the dogs out and I have missed several clear mornings where getting up at 4-5:00pm would have rewarded me with good conditions.

Got off the settee, opened the curtains to see what's happening. Saw the moon. Closed the curtains and got back on the settee...

It's a hard life ;)

Pretty much what I did! Decided to spend the evening with the family instead, didnt seem right to be going out on xmas eve.

I think everyone feels the same way when things get in the way. I've found that having the scopes to hand, and having a grab'n'go scope really helps me to take advantage of ay time that I may get. It did help that I moved house from a place where I previously needed to cart an 8" and GEM up too many stairs, to a place where I can move my 12" Dob from the kitchen straight out into the garden. I had sold the 8", a 6" and the GEM to pay for the 12".

As it turns out, I've replaced the GEM and the 6" for video astronomy..

I seem to have pretty much given up on astronomy for the time being.  I had a go a few weeks back when we had some clear night sky but by the time I'd remembered what to do the clouds came back :(  I play with the odd astro project occasionally but soon get fed up.  Oh I expect I'll get interested again once the weather improves :)  Meanwhile I have many other projects some of which actually are astro related.

This is my first winter with a scope and there have hardly been any opportunities in months but looking on the bright side I'm glad to know it's not always this bad!

Looking on the dull side, we seem to be setting a new record for 'bad' every year...

ChrisH

I have had a think about selling some gear, partly because of how cloudy it's been and because I have another hobby that I love even more than astro now :shocked:

But I think I'll stay as-is. The views are incredible when they turn up :laugh: I just hope I get at least one decent view of the Orion nebula this winter!!

Clear skies!

I haven't used my scope since october. Terrible run of weather lately.

I'm always optimistic that the next opportunity will be just around the corner, so hopefully we'll get some crisp clear skies this january.

Surely there will be an opportunity or two to get out out before SGL11!

I will be keeping all my gear for the foreseeable...........the only scope i feel i can do with out is the TAL and i just dont want to get rid of it, i might sell my video cam and the bits that go with it as i have never used it..........hopefully some clear nights are not far off 

Archived