NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hello from across the way

Jim78154

I have been lurking here for several months now and finally my conscience has bothered me enough to actually register. I very much enjoy hearing different voices on the same subject. It is quite refreshing to get other perspectives on astronomy. Not only that, but I am anxious to see how you deal with the atrocious weather that seems to prevail in the U.K. So, hello all and I hope that you have a merry, happy and holy Christmas. S' novam godam! 

Hi Jim,

Welcome from across the pond !

Yeah the weather here in the UK is terrible, but the water is pure and the air is clean.

Astronomy wise, I sure do miss the clear skies of California's central coast though. :wink:

Edit: Oh yeah, I have other hobbies, as I consider Observing to be a hobby of opportunity.

If you're longing for that fine observing weather in the UK, you can save yourself some airfare by traveling to Seattle. In 3 days we'll be at a solid month since the last clear night (and the few we got in November were passable only, not great). That plus the smoke from massive forest fires in British Columbia this past summer have made for a whole lot of murky nights here ... and we're practically next door!

Welcome aboard!

Hi Jim and welcome to SGL, when it boils down to it, there will be times when you realise that Astronomy was probably not a good idea, especially in the UK with the continuous bouts of bad weather. Then on those lovely clear nights, all such thoughts will disappear. Those Astronomers who have passed through the initial stages and are pressing on with the hobby, can do nothing but put up with the bad times, however, for those who spend hours imaging, it must be especially frustrating.

I personally have a couple of photographic star Atlases, if you are not aware what these are, they have a photograph of the star field on one page and a printed black and white image of the same field on the other. It is surprising how you can become familiar with the star patterns around targets you want to observe, it becomes a little easier next time you are at the eye piece, enjoy the forum :)

Welcome to SGL,Jim. The cloud we get here in the UK actually keeps us sane and, crucially, employed and married - if it was Arizona-clear skies all the time we'd spend too much time outdoors away from our spouses and getting too tired for work the following day!

Hope you enjoy the chat on here. Some very knowledgeable and pleasant folk who are always more than willing to share their experience and expertise.

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

Archived