Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Christmas light pollution

baggywrinkle

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, we've a few "chavtastic" houses around here, lit up like Christmas trees. With all the cloud the light pollution isn't something to get hot under the collar about. The weather's hot enough for that!

Yeah!, Come on, let's not take the joy out of Christmas.

I can concede that some are way over the top with their creations, but that is

Down to snobby one-upmanship. I like to see the seasonal lighting in moderation.

Unfortunately, many areas of my City are not in the mood for this festive time, due to the devastating floods that have murdered their Christmas.

I would love to see their homes deluged in lights, rather than the unsightly heaps of belongings outside their homes, awaiting removal to destruction.

So, have thought to just how lucky you are, not to be going through what they are.

Just enjoy your trouble free season, and give a care for those who are suffering torment, not just here, but many other places too.

Nothing like some Christmas spirit from SGL!

I like it when people light up their homes. Our kids love it and it certainly makes for a fun walk around the village.

If astronomers cannot let other people have some fun then I don't know what the world is coming to. I appreciate these threads may be started in good humour but I do sometimes think people forget that not everyone is in anyway interested in astronomy, and fair enough too,

If people want to light their houses up then good. For a few weeks every year I say the brighter the better.

And then there are those flaming meteors from the direction of Gemini adding to the light pollution and putting more dust in the atmosphere so degrading the seeing. :grin: :grin: :grin:

Yes, Christmas is alive and well in the UK. :icon_rendeer: :icon_rendeer:

Anyone for a reindeer burger? :ohmy:

Got a few lights up in the house but nothing outside ( too much work)

I don't think it's going to make much difference.

Rubbish weather forecast for the next week then full moon for Christmas.

Not so much bah humbug as "sigh another week with no astro possible".

When will it end?

Gareth

Yep - I'm passionate about avoiding light pollution but 50% of houses in our street have have lights including me! But at least they all disappear on 12th Night and low down unlike the Guy Faukes sky show that goes on here for weeks and does ruin the night sky. Christmas lights have no effect on my obs from my cosy dome:-)

Nytecam

Archived