NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Complementing scopes or just one scope ??

spaceboy

I hope these people with multiple scopes are'nt the ones that try and talk people out of getting large scopes with the "if it doesn't get used its a waste" line.......

If you have a large number of scopes they will gather dust too........ ;)

My policy. Observe with buddies. That way you get to look through loads of different scopes and have a good laugh doing it too. :)

This is kind of my dilemma. The 12" really is just gathering dust simply because I am put off by hauling the thing down the flight of stairs (live in 1st floor flat) to my garden. It doesn't fit the Rosetta in the FOV which is one of my favourite dark sky objects and I'm doubtful either sides of the veil are going to either. I have a 10" newt that is permanently set up in an obs which get's used when I get clear nights and could be mounted on my AZ mount for dark skies the 1 or 2 times a year I go.

The 12" dob was an impulse buy with the thoughts of it being the largest aperture I can manage for dark skies but I only see it as dead money at the moment. I didn't go in to buying it blind as I had seen a 12" dob previously so size wasn't an issue it is just I didn't think it would be so dam heavy which this only seems to be gravely emphasised when trying to find my footing on stairs.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I had to get my 12" dob down a flight of stairs each time I wanted to observe it would not get much use !

They seem to "grow" a lot between 10" and 12" aperture :rolleyes2:

I recall that even with the level and short lifting needed to get to my observing location (the patio) my 12" Meade Lightbridge did not get out much. That was a heavy beast !. If your 12" dob is of the same order of weight then I can see your problem.

Totally agree with this John. My now sold 12" f6 is a wonderful scope but a bit of a lump to pick up and carry down the garden. The 10" feels very different and under my skies the results are not so different. With darker skies and better seeing the 12" would be well worth it though.

I used to keep two of my previous scopes upstairs, a 12" flextube and 8" fork mounted SCT. I could manage each fine with care of course, the flextube's collapsed compactness was the justification for keeping it upstairs. My current scopes live down stairs, the VX8L would be no problem kept upstairs, I just got lazy, I would not consider attempting the VX14 upstairs, it focuses all my attention negotiating through doorways on the ground floor, similar weight to my former fextube though. 

This is right up my street, i keep coming to the idea of having just one scope and mount, to a point where i see next January as deciding time (big bonus from work) i feel a 120ED is all i really need, i fancy selling every thing and just have a 120 and EQ5, i dont have a lot of interest in DSO, but i dont want to get rid of the new mak so i guess i will umm and err and stay with what i have

For me, it has to be at least two scopes for every enthusiastic astronomer.  This is because no astronomer I know has such narrow interests that one scope  can possibly cover all bases.  Personally the only scope I will always have is a grab and go that does a lot of things very well and can be ready at a moments notice.  My scope in this category is an Equinox 80ED which I use for planetary and Lunar on the hoof, wide field observing, white light Solar, H Alpha Solar, spotting scope and telephoto lens - I couldn't be without it. 

This is kind of my dilemma. The 12" really is just gathering dust simply because I am put off by hauling the thing down the flight of stairs (live in 1st floor flat) to my garden. It doesn't fit the Rosetta in the FOV which is one of my favourite dark sky objects and I'm doubtful either sides of the veil are going to either. I have a 10" newt that is permanently set up in an obs which get's used when I get clear nights and could be mounted on my AZ mount for dark skies the 1 or 2 times a year I go.

The 12" dob was an impulse buy with the thoughts of it being the largest aperture I can manage for dark skies but I only see it as dead money at the moment. I didn't go in to buying it blind as I had seen a 12" dob previously so size wasn't an issue it is just I didn't think it would be so dam heavy which this only seems to be gravely emphasised when trying to find my footing on stairs.

I can get the rosette or either of the main veil sections in the FOV when using  my 10" dob and 31mm T5 Nagler.

That said, Is the view as good as through my 20" that cannot fit any of them in........ No, the 20" blows it away. For me it's not about fitting stuff in but seeing detail within them. 

I can get the rosette or either of the main veil sections in the FOV when using  my 10" dob and 31mm T5 Nagler.

That said, Is the view as good as through my 20" that cannot fit any of them in........ No, the 20" blows it away. For me it's not about fitting stuff in but seeing detail within them. 

Thats why I have more than one scope though. Sometimes I like to drill into the detail and other times I like the wider perspective.

The 12" shows far more detail in the Veil segments than the 4" can but they both provide a different and lovely perspective on this marvellous object.

Not surprising we all have different prorities and preferences though :smiley:

I've 2 scopes; did kinda promise to reduce to 1 scope; but would love a 3rd - a frac + quark for Ha! (won't happen for years... thereby justifying hanging onto the 10" for solar binoviewing with Baader film :) )

I also have a two scope system.

For solar work, I use a Lunt 60mm f8.3 & a TV 76 f6.3.

For the evenings, I use a Moonshane 10" f5 and/or the TV 76.

I also think a pair of binoculars are really handy and have recently upgraded to Canon's 10x30 IS.

The only downside to all this is that I have the Tal 4" f10 collecting dust. I've really tried to make it part of the team, but it no longer ticks any of the right boxes :smiley:

Great thread.

I have one scope.

One scope is not enough.

In a post earlier in the week I asked the assembled SGL masses for little Frac recommendations........

Turns out that I need a Big Dob (obviously), an every day Dob, a short ED Frac, a long Frac and a little Mac.......

So 5 is the magic number. Plus big, medium and little Binos....

And a PST.

In reality I'm heading for the first three. Budget may limit the speed of acquisition.

Paul

I have three scopes that complement each other.  I'd like to cut down to two but cant bear the thought of parting with any of them.

I have an 8" F5 reflector for DSO and general use, 7" Mak for planetary and general plus a 4" achro frac for grab and go and a general.  They all can overlap quite well but they each have their advantages.  Occasionally I muse over having some compromise but its so tough to choose what to keep.

I have two similar (in focal length) telescopes at the mo, each with its own merits. But ideally, I'd like four to get a good range of FL and speed (for imaging):

1) very short: 200mm F2.8 Canon L series (yes, I know its not a telescope but you get to a point where a lens is better)

2) Short: 130pds (no intro needed)

3) Medium-Long: 200pds

4) Long: 8 or 10" RC

That way, no matter what time of year it is - im covered. Its possible I will go into the autumn/winter season with at least two of those, but the RC is the ultimate goal.

As the OP suggested, it's primarily about focal length/field of view for me. You can't have large aperture and large field so I'd always like to have two scopes, plus bins. This applies even more so in imaging where you can't do all that much about the native focal length of the instrument while retaining a reasonable F ratio. For imaging, therefore, I'd like three focal lengths but, at the moment, only have two. (I'll have you in tears.)

Since I run an astro guest house I'm allowed more than the minimum for visual, though, and I do enjoy them all, each having its own charm. Three sizes of refractor, an SCT and a 20 inch.

Portability doesn't come into it in my case since we observe from home but, if it did, my travel scope would never have a long FL because my big scope would have that. I'd always go for a portable short FL scope because it can do something different. Besides, the planets (long FL scope) hold up well in LP and can be observed from many peoples' homes. Travel to a dark site would usually be for DS objects which are often extended.

Olly

I currently have six scopes that I tend to use in these pairings on a Giro III mount...

Solar: ED100 and Lunt 50Ha

Night: ED100 and TV Pronto

Night: ED100 and Polarex-Unitron 60mm

Night: Explorer 200P and StarTravel

...and I have two Giro III mounts so often have four out at the same time :rolleyes:

I'm currently searching for a long-ish 6" refractor and will re-join the Dob-squad at some point in the future.

• 4 weeks later...

After a lot of thought I decided to let the 12" flexi tube go as the weight and getting the base through door way was all too much of an issue for me. I plan on keeping an eye out for an orion optics 12" dob/ newt after feeling how light Johns was at SGLX. My 250PX will have to see me though until such a time one comes up but at least now I know I can fit the rosette and veil in.

I mostly use my 4" refractor / giro-type mount. It struggles a bit with my murky urban sky, but has the advantage of being really nice to set up and use.

The C11 / AZEQ6 gets an outing when I'm confident that the evening will repay the hassle of setting up. 

I'm pretty sure I could find a use for a fast-ish 8-12" Newt, as a dob for easy setup or on the AZEQ6 for things my refractor is too small to pull out of the orangeness.

• 9 months later...

Most I had were four at one time.

ETX125

Megrez 90

ZS66

Old White Tasco (not a good one)

Plus pocket bins and medium bins.

Currently have -

APL 80 (made by Vixen as far as I know)

Megrez 72

Stellarvue 50mm Finder (if you count it as a small frac ;-))

Pocket and medium bins.

Following a recent epiphany I am thinking about getting a Takahashi FC-100 DC and selling everything else! Except the bins ...... and maybe the Megrez 72. :-)

On 01/07/2015 at 21:21, paulastro said:

For me, it has to be at least two scopes for every enthusiastic astronomer.  This is because no astronomer I know has such narrow interests that one scope  can possibly cover all bases.  Personally the only scope I will always have is a grab and go that does a lot of things very well and can be ready at a moments notice.  My scope in this category is an Equinox 80ED which I use for planetary and Lunar on the hoof, wide field observing, white light Solar, H Alpha Solar, spotting scope and telephoto lens - I couldn't be without it. 

You know me Paul!  My brain goes on stand by if I have to decide between tea or coffee. Two scopes would cause complete overload. ?

Mike

I started with a carbon fibre TS INED 70 because it seemed a sensible, quality grab-and-go starter. I may put it up for sale, but it's not at all in the way and it's such a great, portable, useful thing so I may alternatively keep it.

Soon after, the TV-85 appeared in the classifieds and every single one of you flatly refused to buy it.

:happy11:

So that for me was the sign from the heavens that this scope was destined for the boy that I still mainly am.

Addiction established, I got the Canon 10x30 IS binos to keep me sane on holiday overseas.

And that's it, so far. I do ponder more aperture, but as much as I think a light bucket is cool, I find myself balking at the prospective bulk and faff. (This is with all due respect to the Dob Mob, I remain properly jealous of all your excellent kit.) A short, wide frac perhaps, just a cheap, fast achro for catching a bit more fuzzy stuff? Maybe. Worst case, it would be the ultimate finder on the Ercole opposite the TV-85...

In any case, the scope and mount I will have for life are well and truly sorted. More concerned with completing the eyepiece set and getting a classy wooden tripod...

:happy8:

Well, since this thread has been resurrected I'll chip in.

Currently I've been using either the Meg 90 with 0.8 FR for just under 500mm FL which can barely fit the Rosette onto my 694 sensor, or the 130P-DS which just fits the Orion + Running Man onto the same chip.

When I get the spacing sorted the 80mm f/4.4 will take over wide-field duties, and I'll think of a 900-920mm FL triplet apo with a choice of 1.0 or 0.75 correctors for something longer, giving say 680-700 or 900+ if I need a smaller field.

However that move will have to wait until I get a premium mount (DDM60?) for the bigger 'frac as my HEQ5 wouldn't have a chance (And you really wouldn't put a £4k+ 'scope on a £650 mount would you?). Plus I've a hankering after a Moravian G3 16200 camera with a decent sized sensor which will work with not-quite-insane 50mm dia filters.

At a later date I may go for a 185mm f/6.9 CFF triplet, but that will need a DDM85 which starts to get into serious money.

As soon as I do get a premium mount I'll be able to use the HEQ5 for visual duties with the Meg90 or my 180 Mak which has been languishing unused since my move. Thus I can be "doing astronomy" while the subs are coming in.

Skywatcher Explorer MN190 Pro for galaxies and small nebulae also white solar and moon.  Skywatcher Esprit 80 ED Pro plus 2x ST80 for most nebulae and other DSOs.  Camera lenses for widefield.

Archived