Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Show us your Frac

Lovely frac(s) kirkster :icon_biggrin:

Those flextube dobs still remind me of R2D2 when they are in the "down" configuration :grin:

I've not posted a pic of my LZOS 130 F/9.2 in this thread yet so yer tiz with the ED120 for scale:

tmb130ed12001.JPG

• Like 14

Didn't  think this Solar business was going to be so expensive oh well it's worth it here is the new Canon for use with the 

quark and wide field as the Bresser is great but can't use it with the quark so sadly it has to go and make room for this .

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 10

Hi John very good it is so smooth I had the skytee 2 before again nice mount loved  the slow motion controls but the sabre is just that bit smoother shame it doesn't have the slow motions but it handles this  and my 130 Apo with ease also great build and finish .

• Like 1

Here are my two Tak's.... something old (FS-128), and something new FC100DF, i have also owned the TOA 130, and the FSQ-85ED... and in my personal picture the TEC APO160EDFs128_FC100Df relative size comparison.jpg

Edited by klaatu2u
trying wothout success to rotate image...
  • Like 10

I've posted pictures of my Vixen ED103s doublet here before I think, but here she is on my new Porta II mount for quick grab and go sessions.

Very smooth and the manual slo mos are great, no backlash.

I've fitted 3 hardwood leg extensions which can increase height (not needed with this scope) and/or aid improved stability as the ali legs don't have to be extended so far.

The weather has been so lousy where I live this year, but this set up at least allows me to pick up the rig from the garage and move it 4 metres onto my drive with no effort whatsoever, no alignment with Polaris etc, just point and shoot!

Is pretty steady, damps down with a big ES eyepiece in 2-3 seconds maximum :-)

Dave

IMG_20160717_202849354_HDR.jpg

IMG_20160717_202754429.jpg

IMG_20160717_203049535_HDR.jpg

IMG_20160717_202834806_HDR.jpg

Edited by F15Rules
  • Like 11

46 minutes ago, F15Rules said:

I've posted pictures of my Vixen ED103s doublet here before I think, but here she is on my new Porta II mount for quick grab and go sessions.

Very smooth and the manual slo mos are great, no backlash.

I've fitted 3 hardwood leg extensions which can increase height (not needed with this scope) and/or aid improved stability as the ali legs don't have to be extended so far.

The weather has been so lousy where I live this year, but this set up at least allows me to pick up the rig from the garage and move it 4 metres onto my drive with no effort whatsoever, no alignment with Polaris etc, just point and shoot!

Is pretty steady, damps down with a big ES eyepiece in 2-3 seconds maximum :-)

Dave

IMG_20160717_202849354_HDR.jpg

IMG_20160717_202754429.jpg

IMG_20160717_203049535_HDR.jpg

IMG_20160717_202834806_HDR.jpg

I've never seen tha Vixen HAL tripod in the flesh... Does it come with the wooden inserts at the bottom of the legs or is that something you've done?  It's genius if it is!

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, CraigT82 said:

I've never seen tha Vixen HAL tripod in the flesh... Does it come with the wooden inserts at the bottom of the legs or is that something you've done?  It's genius if it is!

Thanks Craig :-).

Actually, I can't claim the credit for the wooden leg extensions: I bought an AZ4 mount some time back, and the seller had made these to fit the AZ4 tripod, which is a clone of the Vixen one. I didn't like the AZ4 much, so I moved it on, but I kept the leg extensions "just in case".. in fact, about a month ago, I very nearly took them to the tip with a load of declutter I was getting rid of!

When I bought the Porta very recently, I remembered these and thought I'd try to see if they fit - perfect fit! So I'm well pleased I kept them :-).

I'm just about to acquire a short focus 90mm F5.5 for true holidaying grab n go viewing, so will post up some pics once I have it (tomorrow, I hope!).

Dave

Edited by F15Rules

Thanks John :icon_biggrin:.

I'd have to agree...somewhat understated, but I like that. The build and finish is actually very good when you see it close up, with a nice lightweight tube that is easy to handle.

Not as solid as a Tak, but a cut above many of the mainstream brands. The oversize tube is nice and I really like the dual speed R&P focusser, no slippage whatsoever.

Dave

Really nice Dave, I like the full Vixen livery top to bottom and the hard wood inserts look like a great idea.

I keep meaning to PM you for a catch up, I should pull my finger out! :)

• Like 1

Well, my new (to me) holiday grab n go scope arrived:-).

It's a Phenix/Starsky 90mm F5.5 doublet with a sliding dewshield.I've mated it it with a nice Saito Japan 7x50 finder.

Only 1 quick peek so far but surprised by the low level of CA at x50 to x100 (Pentax XL 5.2mm).

Should be great in Norfolk when visiting family and rock solid on the Porta II..

Dave

IMG_20160724_205254422.jpg

IMG_20160724_205210392.jpg

IMG_20160724_205219723.jpg

IMG_20160724_205304661.jpg

• Like 6

Thought I'd share my latest acquisition ..... a very nice example of the Explore Scientific ED102 triplet ..... tested last night for a short while, views are very clean and crisp, looking forward to starting imaging with this .....

IMG_3194.jpg

IMG_3213.JPG

• Like 5