Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Show us your Frac

3 minutes ago, iPeace said:

Oh, very well...

tmp_21454-DSC_0237-759827226.JPG

How do you get on with the Starbeam finder? I found mine a bit awkward, never really took to it but I know people do really like them.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Stu said:

How do you get on with the Starbeam finder? I found mine a bit awkward, never really took to it but I know people do really like them.

For bright targets it is the bee's knees. That's when the right-angle mirror is most useful. When things get a bit more faint one has to do straight alignment, which can involve some gymnastics... I still have my RACI but I am trying life without it, so to speak... I like the Rigel even more, but I have only used it on the ED 70. Got some stick here on SGL for it being so ugly, so it will have to be a very dark night on which I try that finder on this scope

:icon_biggrin:

31 minutes ago, iPeace said:

Meaningful details...

tmp_21454-DSC_0240-900298875.JPG

Nice, I have the T2 version ?

This is my somewhat ugly solution to fitting a Rigel to the standard dovetail on the Tak whilst still fitting the standard Rigel plate on other scopes...

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stu said:

Nice, I have the T2 version ?

This is my somewhat ugly solution to fitting a Rigel to the standard dovetail on the Tak whilst still fitting the standard Rigel plate on other scopes...

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

What part is that you use? Looks promising.

Just as an update, here are my two in solar observing guise. Tak FC-100D with Wedge and binoviewers. Burgess Optical 91mm triplet with Solar film and let's not forget my lovely little finder, also with it's own filter ?. Mounted on the Ercole and Meade Giant tripod. Solid!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, Stu said:

Just as an update, here are my two in solar observing guise. Tak FC-100D with Wedge and binoviewers. Burgess Optical 91mm triplet with Solar film and let's not forget my lovely little finder, also with it's own filter ?. Mounted on the Ercole and Meade Giant tripod. Solid!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Is that another great DIY pillar, or a commercially-available option?

Just now, iPeace said:

Is that another great DIY pillar, or a commercially-available option?

No, that a commercially available on me. The 16" Skywatcher version. I think I changed the plates around a bit to make everything fit and removed the North peg but it works very well.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-mounts/skywatcher-eq5heq5-extension-tube.html

• Like 1

Really nice Stu!

How do you compare the Tak FC-100D and the Burgess Optical 91mm triplet generally? Do they work best on different targets? Or one is more for rich field or portable? 

Edited by Piero

25 minutes ago, Piero said:

Really nice Stu!

How do you compare the Tak FC-100D and the Burgess Optical 91mm triplet generally? Do they work best on different targets? Or one is more for rich field or portable? 

If I'm brutally honest Piero, the Tak blows the Burgess into the weeds really, just so much sharper, less scatter and more contrast. It cools much faster too.

The Burgess is nice and compact though, particularly with the rear section removed and is nice for widefield stuff as it has the shorter focal length. I sort of use it as a mega finder when the are both on the Ercole too. It's well built, more rugged and much cheaper so I would take it places where I may not take the Tak.

I also have a Megrez 72 - the scope I have held onto the longest!

But this gave me some nice views of Jupiter the other night - despite the seeing.

I actually bought it for the Polaris mount - which might be up for sale depending on how i get on with the Giro Mini I am hoping to get soonish.

The scope is an 1970s/80s APL 80mm. As far as I could find out it was made by Vixen and is pretty identical to the old A80mf. F/11.4. 

P1030479.JPG

P1040803.jpg

The tube is actually a bit scratched in places and I was thinking of either re-painting it white or doing a carbon fibre vinyl wrap job on it - any thoughts?

Edited by surfindogg
  • Like 6

Here's a picture of my new TS 130mm F/7 scope on my new iOptron 45 Pro Goto mount. I didn't put the weights on just for the photo!  Here's my ES AR152 on my CGEM mount. Don't have a picture of my ES 102 APO.

ME & ES AR152-3.jpg

TS 130mm iEQ45 Pro.jpg

Edited by gunfighter48
  • Like 10

18 hours ago, gunfighter48 said:

Here's a picture of my new TS 130mm F/7 scope on my new iOptron 45 Pro Goto mount. I didn't put the weights on just for the photo!  Here's my ES AR152 on my CGEM mount. Don't have a picture of my ES 102 APO.

ME & ES AR152-3.jpg

TS 130mm iEQ45 Pro.jpg

Go on, give us a smile ??, it's a great piece of kit you should be happy with it ??

• Like 4

On 3 May 2016 at 10:31, surfindogg said:

I also have a Megrez 72 - the scope I have held onto the longest!

But this gave me some nice views of Jupiter the other night - despite the seeing.

I actually bought it for the Polaris mount - which might be up for sale depending on how i get on with the Giro Mini I am hoping to get soonish.

The scope is an 1970s/80s APL 80mm. As far as I could find out it was made by Vixen and is pretty identical to the old A80mf. F/11.4. 

P1030479.JPG

P1040803.jpg

The tube is actually a bit scratched in places and I was thinking of either re-painting it white or doing a carbon fibre vinyl wrap job on it - any thoughts?

Lovely looking piece of kit. With the older scopes I tend to be of the view that they should be kept as original as possible. I would either live with the scratches or respray in a similar colour.

I'm not against carbon wrapping scopes but tend to think it's more appropriate on more modern kit which has got a bit battered, or is a colour you don't like eg the old skywatcher blue perhaps.

• Like 3

On 05/03/2016 at 11:31, surfindogg said:

The scope has earned those scratches. Be proud!

It certainly looks the biz...

:icon_biggrin:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Go on, give us a smile ??, it's a great piece of kit you should be happy with it ??

I was sick with an infection at the time and wasn't feeling to well. That was about two years ago. I need to take another picture for my avatar.:icon_biggrin:

• Like 4

Just now, gunfighter48 said:

I was sick with an infection at the time and wasn't feeling to well. That was about two years ago. I need to take another picture for my avatar.:icon_biggrin:

I'm sorry, no offense meant, was just being cheeky ??

• Like 2

1 minute ago, gunfighter48 said:

I was sick with an infection at the time and wasn't feeling to well. That was about two years ago. I need to take another picture for my avatar.

As long as you're smiling now... :happy11:

• Like 3