NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Super sky to rubbish, which have you got ?

cotterless45

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep not much crime here, not that street lights really stop crime, they just make it easier for crooks to spot targets.

My nearest streetlight is about 100m away and not in line of sight but it's still obvious looking at the sky when they suddenly all turn off.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

thanks to the 4 streetlights shining into the back garden of my flat and the 25 within eyeshot, mine is about 15-16

my poor scope has been sat forlornly in my room since october :(

still, now have wheels of my own and just need to save for a big leisure battery

Street lights go out at your place after a certain time???

Very safe area huh?  :icon_neutral:

Crime levels usually goes down after 'part night lighting' schemes are introduced. The bulk of reported night time crime is either alcohol related, petty theft, vandalism/property damage or other antisocial behavoir. These type of people just move on to a well lit area when the lights go out. The career criminals operate in daylight a lot of the time anyway.

There's only been 1 burglary on my street since ive lived here. It happened on the same night that a family across the street returned from a three week stay in Canada over Christmas. The fog that night was the worst id ever seen. The burglar(s) were well hidden in the fog and simply broke a glass pane on the front door and went in and cleared out much of the electronics in the house. You honestly couldnt see more than 2-3 ft in front of yourself that night.

Crime levels usually goes down after 'part night lighting' schemes are introduced. The bulk of reported night time crime is either alcohol related, petty theft, vandalism/property damage or other antisocial behavoir. These type of people just move on to a well lit area when the lights go out. The career criminals operate in daylight a lot of the time anyway.

Oh, I see, there is a logic to it after all. :p

Oh, I see, there is a logic to it after all. :p

Figures released by Warwickshire Police last year showed reported night time crimes going down by up to 60% in some Part Night Lighting areas, while adjacent streets with lights remaining on all night, crime levels remained the same. Thus proving the people saying we'd all be 'murdered in our beds' totally wrong!

You know what? I'd be really happy with Bortle 3 or 4. Using the now-defuct Need-Less site it was really hard to find anything that low without going into the back-end of beyond. For example, looking at Dorset, the darkest it reported was NELM 5.7 and Bortle 5, that was on the coast near West Bexington.

Figures released by Warwickshire Police last year showed reported night time crimes going down by up to 60% in some Part Night Lighting areas, while adjacent streets with lights remaining on all night, crime levels remained the same. Thus proving the people saying we'd all be 'murdered in our beds' totally wrong!

Careful Jock, logic like that will get you exiled !

Where I live, near a town and some big roads, it is about 7 on average, and I've not seen it any better than 5.

I stopped in a layby on a dark country lane on the way home late one night recently to have a look and could see a huge number of stars compared to what can be seen from my garden.

Archived