Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Super sky to rubbish, which have you got ?

cotterless45

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking at that table, and taking a good dose of reality I would now have to say 9. Bother, I had hoped it might make 8, but only three stars of UMi are visible, which puts it firmly at 9.

Maybe 7 ?? Not sure from the graph offered but a visual check gave me magnitude 5 stars the other night which is almost as good as it gets where I am. I seem to suffer with poor seeing conditions where I am so I doubt I'd be much better off even if the sky's were dark.

Definitely "rubbish" for me.  Using the table here: https://darkskydiary.wordpress.com/2012/01/20/naked-eye-limiting-magnitude-assessing-sky-brightness/ , my front garden (with its overabundance of streetlights) gets a 9, from the back I can get down to an 8.

Heigh-ho.

Going by the link and Umi then, I'm most definitely a 9...so much for '7 at best', lol.

I would say mine has improved recently to 3-4 especially on the southern horizon. I can'tscientifically connect the two but Harrogate (South) has adopted a lights off scheme in some areas after midnight. Unfortunately they have decided to light up Ripon Cathedral with those uplights all night thus spoiling the Northern view. I can easily get all the mag 5.5 stars naked eye in UMi unless it's a bit murky but that is usually straight up of course!

There is one plus point to having such rubbish skies, every time I get a hankering after something expensive from APM I just have to look at the sky and reality sets in. Does my bank balance a world of good!

There is one plus point to having such rubbish skies, every time I get a hankering after something expensive from APM I just have to look at the sky and reality sets in. Does my bank balance a world of good!

Until you start thinking how well a 2nm Ha filter would cut through that nasty LP :o

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Archived