Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

hoping to buy new house

nightfisher

Just out of interest what is a "sealed bid"?

Everyone interested submits their best offer for the property, usually in writing, completely blind as regards what others might be offering.  The highest bid (usually) wins.

James

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Everyone interested submits their best offer for the property, usually in writing, completely blind as regards what others might be offering.  The highest bid (usually) wins.

James

As you said-not always the highest bid......cash is king! Someone with no house to sell will often get in at much less if the owners/reposessing bank are eager for the money.

James

This is what normally happens in Scotland, but they also do things slightly differently in that the contract is at the start of the process, rather that at the end such as it is in England where you can be gazumped

Ian

The last one looks very nice - Internally too. In retrospect, I spent so much time / dosh

improving the outside for "Astronomy", the inside now looks thoroughly depressing. :o

I find myself pining (sic?) for the semblance of a PROPERLY fitted kitchen or bathroom.

Rather than the DIY "installed by idiot" messes I have. Worthwhile checking these?  :p

• 4 months later...

I have just made the last payment on the house.

25 years is a long time. I live on my own now.

I thought I was going to loose it @ one time,

when I had to buy out, my ex. I am 65, & 

retiring in a couple of months. At least

I can stay here now, till  they put me in the

box. :p  Bit of a worry @ one time. Got there

in the end. I can see Y people rent now.

Steve.

• 3 weeks later...

I sort of pulled out of this purchase today   :eek:   i told the estate agent that they should tell the vendor that they wont be buying there new house, funny how busy my phone has been asking me to reconsider, so we are exchanging contracts tomorrow and i get the keys monday.......................some times you have to play the ace card to get the game won

Good on ya!

I was caught in the middle of a chain with a buyer who suddenly didn't have all the money to hand and had to dig the rest out of another account, or so the story went. Frantic behind-the-scenes phone calls up and down the chain between solicitors and estate agents and to my removals company. 

They say you don't need estate agents to sell your house which might be true until things go pear-shaped (Do they never go pear-shapes?) when a good agent will really earn his fee.

Buying and selling houses can be such an utter [removed word] of an experience and some people just don't seem to give a monkeys about how their idiotic mucking about can screw up other peoples' lives.  Sadly Jules sometimes you do just have to get medieval on their donkey until they do the right thing.  Which, in the end, is really not the way it should have to happen :(

Last time we sold a house we turned down a last minute offer of £20k more than the price at which we'd already agreed to sell to someone else (and this was getting on for fifteen years ago), largely because I'd rather be a decent human being.  Numerous times since I've thought I could have used that extra money, but I'm still happy with the decision.

James

Hi Jules, its real **** when you have to take the reigns like that, it just feels like climbing a mountain every day. A few years ago we came very close to getting badly "stung". What do we pay solicitors for? Good luck with it all and lets hope the rest of it is easier.

I had exchange and completion happening simultaneously while I was sat in the car with all my worldly goods in store, apart from what I had in the car.

Oh, and just for the final slap round the face, just after picking up the keys from the estate agent, a van was impatient at the lights and took part of my rear bumper off. Cue 50 mins on my mobile to a premium-rate line sorting out the claim. :mad:

Our recent purchase was a right mess mainly because the sellers never took any responsibility for their actions until it was too late and during the process one of the sellers passed away, but that wasn't the main hold up.

They hired an lady to act on their behalf who despite running a seemingly busy conveyancing(in no way licensed in Spain) service who spoke little to no Spanish and did as best as I can tell, nothing but hold the process up via her inaction.

None of the certificates they needed to actually sell the property were in place so that required an architect to approve the house again but because the pool wasn't built legally it required a second architect to approve that. On day 1 we said sort the pool out but no, two days before the notary she told us she hadn't even filed the paperwork with the land registry like she should of done weeks earlier because she just figured it could be signed at the notary on the day of the sale and then file it at the land registry despite the contract saying clearly otherwise.

So after 3 months of waiting we had to give another months extension, which was needed because then the land registry said they wouldn't file it due to new inheritance laws which don't actually come into place until later in the year.

Thankfully our lawyer made one phone call and sorted it straight away, our lawyer has been a complete champ.

Now we have our first home and it's totally worth it, OK there is a lot of work we want to do like plaster the horrid gotalay walls, repaint and put new floors in and we have been told we have to be out at the end of the month here so things will be a complete rush but the fact it's finally ours and we are doing what we want is worth all the hassle.

I can almost forgive the blighter who stole our garden hose after we left it outside one night. Almost.

busy moving in, but gonna have a job getting rid of the cat  smell of cat pee from the out building!!

another shot of the view from the back garden to the south west

post-8850-0-63817800-1436299186_thumb.jp

That's a promising outlook Jules, hope you get some clear sky's to take advantage off it..

Enjoy the first night in the new house, obligatory take away eaten whilst sat on top of boxes?

Ta

Fozzie

Got some weeding to do mate :grin:  :grin:

Glad your getting sorted

all the weeds are on a farmers field edge but will clear some of it, more important things to do in mean time

Archived