Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

hoping to buy new house

nightfisher

Thanks peeps, myself and Claire are discussing whether the second bedroom will be large enough, could be a deal breaker, or could just mean a bit of a de clutter 

That's why it is always good to take a few days to think and talk it through. It can really be the little things that throw a spanner in the works.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really feel for young people in the UK with the inflated property prices how can they hope to ever buy a place after spending all their wages on soaring rents.

I know of many young couples who return home to their parents from rented accommodation, to simply save for a deposit for a house. It's all going full circle.

The housing situation in Australia is just as or even more inflated. It was a large factor with us deciding to stay in Europe. It is far easier to get on the property ladder in Spain right now, we can have a mortgage paid off in little time and then have the freedom to return to Oz without being locked into a lifetime of repayments and work if that is what we end up deciding.

I know of many young couples who return home to their parents from rented accommodation, to simply save for a deposit for a house. It's all going full circle.

It's a complete mess as far as I can see.  House prices increase because of "undersupply", but building enough houses risks placing huge numbers of people in negative equity leading to all sorts of social and financial problems (and never mind the environmental impact of building so much housing).

So what do you do?  Pretending to be an ostrich seems to be the preferred approach at the moment.

James

I had these problems before I bought my house at the end of 2013.

I was buying alone and had to move back to my mams after separating from the then wife and had to fight a court battle to see my son. Moving back to the parents home at 39 was a tough call but it had to be done.

House hunting was a nightmare since prices were still quite high £110-140K for a single salary but I cleared off the debt the ex had built up, worked my spheroids off for the deposit and found a place close to the coast.

New girlfriend has since moved in with her son and we are about to move out to have it rewired and various other works done to it.

Luckily the north east of england house prices aren't as horrible as those in the south of the country and I got my home for £110K for a three bedroom house with a big, paved back garden (9.5 meters wide x 9 meters long) so thinking once the rewire is sorted I'm going to get a decent sized dob and then build a big shed for it to live in.

On the plus side the house I have is in a reasonably dark area and is very close to a local Astro society which I'm about to sign up to.

I have submitted an offer, not to far from the asking price, i should know tomorrow some time, keeping my fingers crossed but if they dont accept then wont lose to much sleep as other houses are available

Good luck Jules!

The one we had an offer on looks like it will fall through due to it's illegal status, something at least you don't have to worry about in the UK. We will turn our attentions back to the smaller property unless they can miraculously fix things fast.

Good luck, I know these things can get stressful

When I made my offer it had already gone to "best and final offers" as the house had just come back on to the market and there were two agents selling.

£127000 with dark sky and clear southern horizon.

http://www.propertypal.com/creeveoughter-rathmullan/253525/photo-2

Additionally, the property market in Ireland can now only go in one direction

This would have been in or around £350K only a decade ago!

Just saying

Great price (not that I could never afford even a 70k mortgage) but the running costs of such a large house needs to be factored in. Add to that healthcare.....beautiful place, though, even though the images are a little over exposed to enhance light  :D

So glad I've got a small house now, cheaper to keep warm!! :D

Come on troops, no one pays top dollar for energy bills in Ireland! The point is you can pick up a 2 Bed cottage, dark sky location for half the cost - £70'000 etc. with about 2 acres of land!

Or you can splash out £180000 for a 3 bed semi detached in the middle of Manchester with an overlooked back garden and no parking

Ps, I'm not in real estate but im focused!

An update, the property i am interested in is on the market at £85000, i offered £83500 and have been turned down, so looks like i will be getting it, but i will have to up my offer to close to asking, but its a nice house and worth doing, so all being well i will be getting it

Okay, the house we were putting an offer on has fallen through, the owner is being very greedy, however another property has just come up on the same road, looks nicer, has better garden and im trying to sort viewing first thing this morning, watch this space

Greedy so-and-so. When selling you can't always get the asking price. I just missed the peak of the market and ended up taking an offer £100k lower.

Hope the new prospect works out for you.

Archived