Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

hoping to buy new house

nightfisher

Latest update...................i am really getting fed up with my daughter and my partner saying what criteria the new house has to have, latest one is to do with the darn cat, if i end up staying in this place then i will have ro rethink my astro! its such a pain having no garden

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Latest update...................i am really getting fed up with my daughter and my partner saying what criteria the new house has to have, latest one is to do with the darn cat, if i end up staying in this place then i will have ro rethink my astro! its such a pain having no garden

You should have the specific criteria prioritised.. in the end your daughter will leave at some point .. so you can prioritise your requirements further up ;)

Man needs mancave. 

I'm currently attempting to curb the desire by someone, that every space needs something put in it. I guarantee the next statement will be that the house is too small..

All the very best to you, Jules.

I have had to make some compromises on my current home (couple of street lights  :(, neighbours, etc. ) but I am happy.

You suddenly realise that the priorities we dream about fade in reality, when the vital elements for a good home are a good community and PEACE!!!  :)

I suppose the more money you have, the dream priorities are more achievable...  :D (Like a bit of change from the house sale to buy a monster scope...  :D)

Good luck Jules! 

I'm suffering from an urge to head for darker skies - living in the light-polluted borough of Lewisham means I get very poor views of the sky, and it's beginning to dawn on me (and on Mrs Ludd) that we don't necessarily have to stay in London for ever.  But will probably have to wait until the youngest Luddlet has finished school...

Good luck with the viewing Jules, we are still hunting out here and had a look at a place this morning. It's far too small of a place but the area is great so there are always going to be compromises.

Still thinking it through.

Oh ,to have enough money to live detached, peaceful and away from light pollution. Must check the annual lottery ticket,

Nick.

If the house is fixable and you like the area maybe a low offer taking into account what needs doing? It's tough because one is balancing the astronomy needs with all the other stuff you and your family may need. We toured most of the South west looking for a suitable place to buy - checking the light pollution along the way. I'd imagined way rural and very dark but in the end we hit a compromise. Great house right on the edge of Exmoor but not as dark as five miles in would have been. But the house and the town will give us stuff to do in the day too. I'd be a bit wary of buying a house just on the astronomy aspects. :)

We have  made an offer on a house just now, to be honest even if they don't accept it we will go up to their counter. It's not the small house mentioned before, on the contrary it's huge around 400msq although the land isn't as big as where we are renting now.

Astro wise well it's just around the corner from here so I expect to still just see the Milky Way and there may even be fewer street lights although one is definitely going to be invasive, the horizons wont be as good either but I guess if it really matters we could always butcher the roof for an obs or maybe even a raised one off the ground.

I can't get my hopes up just yet though, we have been here a few times before and the properties have fallen through at the legal checking stage. Still fingers crossed.

Viewing went rather well, myself, my partner Claire and my daughter would be living in this house and we all liked it, though the garden is a little smaller than i first thought, it is very private and has room for a pier if needed, i feel we will be making an offer on Monday close to asking price :grin:  

Well done, Jules, all the best with the purchase.

Best of luck to you too, Jarrod. I hope you both get what you want, with the minimum of hassle.  :)

Nerve wracking stuff; nowhere near as bad, but it was hell waiting for the answer from the landlord when I applied for the property I am now living in. (there was quite a bit of interest in it.....) Felt like winning the Lottery.  :)

Good luck! Always said I wanted to move somewhere remote...though that brings its own issues. I can't wait for a nice dark sky in the country though....if I can find one!

The couple I bought my last house from were literally going 'stir crazy' with the limited social contact of working from home.  When I asked why they were selling up and moving back into a small town their simple answer was 'people!'. I think being just the two of them in the house (no family) was also putting a strain on the relationship.

Unless you are of a certain mentality rural living can be very isolating, especially if you were used to a busy social existence. To other people it might be bliss!

Hi Jules, buying/selling your home is hugely stressful.  I think no matter what you decide on there is always that moment when you sign on the dotted line, you think - what have we done! But, if there is a feature(s) that you can get excited about (darker skies; viewing/observatory site?)  it certainly makes the pain more bearable. Good luck with it all.

The couple I bought my last house from were literally going 'stir crazy' with the limited social contact of working from home. When I asked why they were selling up and moving back into a small town their simple answer was 'people!'. I think being just the two of them in the house (no family) was also putting a strain on the relationship.

Unless you are of a certain mentality rural living can be very isolating, especially if you were used to a busy social existence. To other people it might be bliss!

Couldn't agree more with this.

We were offered a remote property last year - we couldn't take it for various reasons but I wanted it so badly because of the dark skies and no light pollution. No electric (generator only), water from well, satellite internet. I was really up for the challenge.

However, certain members of my family had their heads screwed on and we ended up living in a small community. :) We've got LP, but a short drive takes me somewhere a lot darker, if the motivation is there.

Frankly, you can get a bit strange if you live in a very remote area.... :D (still want to give it a go!). However, loneliness is no laughing matter. And most likely, having to drive everywhere (miles to a decent road surface) may lose its novelty....

Couldn't agree more with this.

Ditto.

I've worked on my own at home for about fifteen years now, the last ten of which have been in a fairly rural area where the population density is measured more in square miles per person rather than people per square mile.  I have in the past gone for quite some weeks without leaving the property and not even noticed.  It would certainly drive some other people nuts, but I love it.

It's entirely possible that I have already gone a bit strange, though the reasons for which people usually seem to think I am strange seem perfectly rational things to me :D

James

It's entirely possible that I have already gone a bit strange, though the reasons for which people usually seem to think I am strange seem perfectly rational things to me

Does getting annoyed by the occasional visitations of well meaning people count? Apart from my very welcome daughters I can go for weeks without physically speaking to anyone. Agreed, not for everyone, but I am never lonely and have never even considered myself to be so.

Regards the bedroom sizes, sometimes I don't get the importance, if my place was a lot smaller it would be so much easier to keep warm in winter. A great sprawing place is a joy to live in with enough room to do just about anything, but trying to heat it is a non starter. 12-13°C is a room temp average and my bedside glass of water has frozen on more than one occasion.

I really feel for young people in the UK with the inflated property prices how can they hope to ever buy a place after spending all their wages on soaring rents.

I hope it works out for you and the family, certainly not an easy time.

Aye, good luck Jules and I hope everything plans out as it should. It certainly is very stressful uprooting and moving on but so long as you and your partner keep chatting and going over all the pros and cons, things should be fine. Keep us posted on what happens :smiley:

Archived