Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Your Favorite 3 Telescopes ???

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

An interesting question this one as it also raises the question of why some telescopes did not hit the mark.  My top three favourites are

• Celestron Comet Catcher - an unusual 5.5 inch schmidt newtonian from the mid eighties.  It was the first telescope I took to dark skies and finally saw what I had been missing.  Sadly sold - let me know if you have one you would part with!
  • Homemade (except for Hinds optics) 12 inch dobsonian.  Another eighties creation that had a square plywood tube.  I did not see much from my town location, but really enjoyed using it.
  • My current Fullerscopes 10 inch newtonian on a dobsonian mount.

I have ordered my scopes in the reverse order of what I would sell if it came down to it (i.e. I'd sell 1 last). The results might surprise some!:

1. PST (shortly to be combined with a Tal 100 for a PST mod) - I use this and number 2 the most of any of my scopes. The PST converts to the stage 1 and stage 2 mods as well as being usable as a 40mm white light scope with the Lunt wedge.
  2. Skywatcher 120mm f5 (pretty much a dedicated white light scope with a Lunt Herschel wedge)
  3. OOUK 6" f11 dobsonian - this would be very hard to replace and cost me very little. wonderful on moon and doubles.
  4. (OOUK 12" f4 dobsonian - my most used 'night scope')
  5. (80mm F11 Vixen achromat - lovely as a lunar scope and not so tight doubles)
  6. (OOUK 16" f4 dobsonian - whilst this is possibly my best visual night time scope, it is only used for dark site sojourns these days which are scarce and usually rained off!)

All that said, I have no intention of selling any of them!

I have ordered my scopes in the reverse order of what I would sell if it came down to it (i.e. I'd sell 1 last). The results might surprise some!:

1. PST (shortly to be combined with a Tal 100 for a PST mod) - I use this and number 2 the most of any of my scopes. The PST converts to the stage 1 and stage 2 mods as well as being usable as a 40mm white light scope with the Lunt wedge.
  2. Skywatcher 120mm f5 (pretty much a dedicated white light scope with a Lunt Herschel wedge)
  3. OOUK 6" f11 dobsonian - this would be very hard to replace and cost me very little. wonderful on moon and doubles.
  4. (OOUK 12" f4 dobsonian - my most used 'night scope')
  5. (80mm F11 Vixen achromat - lovely as a lunar scope and not so tight doubles)
  6. (OOUK 16" f4 dobsonian - whilst this is possibly my best visual night time scope, it is only used for dark site sojourns these days which are scarce and usually rained off!)

All that said, I have no intention of selling any of them!

Our 'best scope' might also be defined as the on we use most? No good having a superb instrument that is too much of a faff to set up.

One the reasons my 12" F4 is the 'permanent' obsy scope is that it needs to be winched into place. Needless to say I don't de-mount it often, but it did mean my other scopes got used less. I purposely built an external pier for using the other scopes.

All time favorites and current scopes:

#1 - My TEC-140

#2 - My Tak FSQ-106 EDX III

#3 - My Skywatcher 190MN

Other scopes that have passed by and are no longer in my possession are:

A Skywatcher Explorer 250P

A William Optics Megrez 90

A William Optics FLT-98 w Feathertouch

A Celestron EdgeHD 9.25

/per

Our 'best scope' might also be defined as the on we use most? No good having a superb instrument that is too much of a faff to set up.

One the reasons my 12" F4 is the 'permanent' obsy scope is that it needs to be winched into place. Needless to say I don't de-mount it often, but it did mean my other scopes got used less. I purposely built an external pier for using the other scopes.

Jock, how do you rate the build quality of the GSO newts? i sort of fancy getting the 150 f6

• 4 weeks later...

Wow! When you've been through as many scopes as I have it's a really tough question...

In no particular order:

TS 90mm ED Triplet f6.6 Apo (completely PERFECT textbook optics)

Equinox 120ED

TeleVue 85 or Skywatcher DS 100ED Pro.

But seriously... only THREE?!?!

Can I give honorary mentions to my Orion Optics 150mm f8 planetary Newtonian and super-pimped GSO680 8" f6 Dob? Please?

Ant ;)

Thankfully I have all three of my fave's still.

1) Equinox 120 - nearly sold this one! It was so nearly sold, the upgraded focuser and the focal reducer had already been sold! I then realised it might be quite good for solar white light. It's now my fave scope for solar imaging in white light with a Herschel wedge, or in h-alpha with a Daystar Quark. I also like using it for lunar, though my fave scope for lunar is an Edge 8. It is not my most used scope, but it is the scope I like to use the most, so this is the last one I would be without. Here's one of my pictures taken with the 120 and Quark:

14777106901_84c1ccab5f.jpg

2) Tele Vue 60 - gets the most use, as solar is my favourite thing and it's my grab and go for solar white light and h-alpha. Very compact and a nice thing to take on hols, it doesn't draw much attention to itself, a lady on hols asked why I was pointing my camera at the Sun! Also use it for a quick view at the night sky and I have been surprised to find planets are still pleasing even with just 60mm of aperture. Of course, it is not going to match a bigger scope for resolution. Sometimes it's just nice to see the objects, have fun, it's not always about the very best view. I managed to grab the monster spot in white light on hols with the little 60:

15481698688_1dfb3d59d1.jpg

3) Skywatcher 16 inch dob - haha, it gets beaten by a titchy 60mm scope, because although a 16 inch dob is very nice indeed for DSO observing, it doesn't work with a Daystar Quark and Herschel wedge for solar. Which just goes to show, all scopes have their plus and minus points, and the best scope depends a lot on your needs and preferences.

Your solar images are amazing. 

My three favorite scopes haven't arrived in my life yet I think.

I am limited in my choices. As a non driver and unable to use my garden due to lp mine have to be very portable so my favourite scope is a c5 its the biggest scope i can carry comfortably, then my 80 x 480 its done me well as a grab and go and hopefully will be good when i eventually get imaging.  my third, well thats any large scope I can blag a look through at a star party.

1)   My old and long gone 60mm Dixons own brand refractor from the late 70's I discovered the Universe with that.

2)  Ye Olde Fullerscopes 6" Newtonian from about 1984/5. Still have it. It was a childhood dream to own something like that one day.

3)   My most recent acquisition. SkyWatcher 10" Newt on NEQ 6. I don't think we have fully bonded yet. Need some clear sky for that!

Archived