Hi from Oshkosh, Wisconsin, USA

The Quiet One

Hi Everybody,

I have been casting about for an online astronomy community and seem to have landed here. I have been interested in astronomy and space exploration since I was a young child. One of my earliest memories is watching what must have been the last Project Mercury missions. I would have been just short of 4 years old. I finally got the scratch together to buy a telescope three years ago, an Orion SpaceProbe 130ST. A purchase I somewhat regret as I find the equatorial mount frustrating - especially after using a Dob at a star party. I think my winter project may be building a Dobsonian mount for my 'scope. Our sky is not particularly dark here in Oshkosh, but there are some fine areas not too far out of the city and it is really excellent not much more than an hour's drive north. I'm not the chattiest person on this Earth, so I'll probably mostly be lurking and learning. I though I should introduce myself nonetheless.

David

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to SGL David, 

Have a look at the DIY Astronomer section if you are thinking of building your own Dob, you should get plenty of advice there should you need it.

Think you are the third person from Wisconsin, there may be more but I think you are the third person to admit to it. :grin: :grin:

Building a dobsonian base sounds like a reasonable winter project.

It was mentioned that the first snow flurry occurred a few days back in your neck of the woods. :eek: :eek:

swamp thing, on 14 Oct 2014 - 11:23 AM, said:

Hi David and welcome to the stargazers lounge. 

Is that where those awesome Oshkosh trucks come from?  :cool:

Building a dob base is good fun matey.

Enjoy

It is indeed. As a matter of fact, I work there as a Senior Designer.

Archived