Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hello stargazers!

silios

Good evening ladies & gents,

I am quite new to astronomy altogether but SGL was one of the first resources for the countless questions I had /have.
Too cut a long story short, on 4 of May I went with my DSLR to take a few pictures of M31 with a flimsy tripod.
I was of course shooting some 180 degrees away from the target, as I discovered in the "Dark room" struggling with DSS, but got fascinated at the night sky photography.

Reading some books and on the internet I figured I needed some kind of tracking in order to expose more than 1.8 secs that my lens - DSLR set-up allowed :-)
After some research I went to buy an astrotrac or something equivalent to mount the DSLR. 3 hours later, walked out of the local store with a HEQ5 PRO, an ED80 Black diamond and a Nikon T-ring!
Not exactly as planned budget wise but life is short and the joys of night skies plenty here in Greece.
Since then I have gone through the usual newbie struggle (I guess) fiddling with polar alignment, balancing, guiding, exposure times, stacking,
editing, dew problems etc etc, and two weeks ago got extra "troubles" in the setup eg. CCD mono, filterwheel, Narrowband + LRGB filters and so on :)
That sums up my short foray into astrophotography - astronomy.

Nice to read you all and looking forward partaking in the forum!

Especially those DIY threads, love the amount of time and effort people have put in there, and hope to contribute some :)

Clear skies

p.s : I hope my mumblings above make some sense, because my English are not that great nowadays!

Regards,
Silios

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Silios and welcome to SGL - Glad that you found us, this is a great forum with masses of information to assist you with any problem you have. There's one or two folks that know a thing or two about imaging as well :D

Look forward to seeing you around :

Hi Silios and welcome to SGL. It sounds like you could do with a little assistance with your AP and that comes in the form of one of the most popular books written on the subject, used by most of our imagers on the forum and that is "Making Every Photon Count" by Steve Richards. see FLO top of page for availability. enjoy your Photography :)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived