Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

moon eye damage

jason.p

I remember when I first got my scope that I was warned not to observe the moon without a filter. I must admit, I had an unfiltered peep the other night, and I was temporarily blinded. It was almost as bad as looking at my favourite street light across the road.

Do you think the moon could cause any permanent damage, and should warnings be posted on any relevant threads?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember when I first got my scope that I was warned not to observe the moon without a filter. I must admit, I had an unfiltered peep the other night, and I was temporarily blinded. It was almost as bad as looking at my favourite street light across the road.

Do you think the moon could cause any permanent damage, and should warnings be posted on any relevant threads?

There is no chance of eye damage from the moon, it is not bright enough. Worst case it will dazzle you for a while so no need to worry :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, you won't be blinded. The moon only reflects the sun light.

Looking at the moon is the same as looking at concrete lighted by the sun.

Even less probably as concrete is usually whitish and the Moon is generally blackish, be different if it was a mirror :)

Dave

I guess there must be an aperture that would gather enough light to cause damage, but I don't think it would be in the realm of amateur scopes.

No

The moons surface brightness doesn't change regardless of aperture. Its no brighter through my 20" Dob than it is when i look up at it with my unaided eye.  

I thought the Moon was about as black as asphalt. If so, that bright ball in the sky has a surface no brighter than a stretch of asphalt road during a sunny day.

Yes, almost but , :) :)

, just like looking at any sunliht scene with any binocular or telescope as various have said,,

but with slightly less atmospheric absorption,

not sure how much difference that would make, not a lot though else there would be a lot of blind amateur astronomers :)

Oh, hang on, I think I may have mis-counted my atmospheres ! :) :)

Dont dawdle on the tarmac, I think it'll be a bit tacky ?

Oh gosh, how time flies when you're having fun, I cant edit my post to add :-

Another way of looking at it (pun intended) is to photograph the full moon (or portion of the illuminated bit) and consider what f/ratio, shutter and ISO you used to get a good exposure.

Then look at exifs of typical snaps sent home by earthlings on their annual hols in Alicante :)

..........try removing the small aperture cap on the OTA dust cover, but leave the OTA cover in-place,  not only will this reduce the aperture somewhat, it WILL reduce the brightness of the Moon. Wearing Sunglasses  also helps, also looking at the Moon through thin cloud layer s helps reduce the dazzle. 

You may suffer Night blindness when looking at the Moon, but this is not permanent, and short  lived. No different to  a bright torch or car headlights  be shone  at the eyes.

..........try removing the small aperture cap on the OTA dust cover, but leave the OTA cover in-place,  not only will this reduce the aperture somewhat, it WILL reduce the brightness of the Moon.

That is cos it ALSO changes the f/ratio, not just the aperture.

........true, about f/20 on an Explorer,  f/24 on my Skyliner,  but as the Moon is so close  and bright, its not an issue  I worry about  for viewing. I just admire the reduction of brightness.

Absolutly, couldnt agree more

and it usually more matches the aperture to our usual atmospheric cell size in the UK,

The reduction of effective aperture does lead to a reduction in resolvable detail too. My 12" dob will show some very fine detail on the lunar surface but those are lost when the scope is stopped down to a smaller aperture.

Archived