Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Fireworks Galaxy Widefield

iksose7

Another final process i done the other night. Had the data for a couple weeks now and have had many different versions but this one i enjoy the most.

I was able to pull out some of the nice the galactic cirrus dust in this area using new techniques involving luminance layers which i have never used before. Without them i wasnt able to bring any of the IFN to the surface! I cant actually find an image that shows more of the flux nebula than i have here but if anybody knows of one i would be interested in seeing it just to compare. 

The Fireworks Galaxy Widefield

Exposure Details:
70* 300 seconds, f7, ISO 800, calibration frames, 805mm
Scope: Altair Astro 115EDT
Camera: Canon 600Da
Mount: NEQ6

I should add that the darker area around the galaxy that appears to be void of dust is an accurate representation as far as i can tell. At first i though i was creating it during processing but after looking at other images it seems that it is actually there. Also the galaxy appears to have a veil of dust over it which i have a feeling is part of the galaxy itself and not the IFN, but this is only the 'feel' i got during processing. I also refrained from using Gradient Exterminator as i found it was endangering to the faint IFN data.

Thanks for looking guys!

Thanks for the feedback Sara, i agree. I uploaded the image to Facebook last night and it seemed to drop the reds a little which made me realise how strong they looked on here and flickr. I'll have to sort that out at some point!

I should add that the darker area around the galaxy that appears to be void of dust is an accurate representation as far as i can tell. At first i though i was creating it during processing but after looking at other images it seems that it is actually there. Also the galaxy appears to have a veil of dust over it which i have a feeling is part of the galaxy itself and not the IFN, but this is only the 'feel' i got during processing. I also refrained from using Gradient Exterminator as i found it was endangering to the faint IFN data.

I must say that I was suspicious of that dark well around the galaxy. People do tend to use the same techniques so seeing it in other images doesn't confirm it is genuine, though it may be! I think the best test would be to do a log stretch of the luminance data, cut back a little on the black point and then measure the brightnesses in that otherwise unprocessed data. The drop in brightness around the galaxy is so pronounced that, if it is genuine, it should show in these measurements.

It's a great image. I didn't realize that there was IFN to be had around here.

Olly

Hi Olly, i knew there was IFN in the area but had no idea there was quite so much. I'm tempted to image the area at 200mm to see what area the IFN covers.

As for the dark ring, i did what you suggested and the darkness does appear to be there. Bit of a coincidence that it would create a little window for us to get a better look at the galaxy! 

I take on board what you said about not relying 100% on others images to confirm something, i agree. But i did just find a image of the area including IFN, which also shows the dark patches in the exact same place: http://www.karelteuwen.be/photo_page.php?img=267&album=14

Although i cant say with absolute certainty that the void is really there, my gut is telling me it is.

Hi Olly, i knew there was IFN in the area but had no idea there was quite so much. I'm tempted to image the area at 200mm to see what area the IFN covers.

As for the dark ring, i did what you suggested and the darkness does appear to be there. Bit of a coincidence that it would create a little window for us to get a better look at the galaxy! 

I take on board what you said about not relying 100% on others images to confirm something, i agree. But i did just find a image of the area including IFN, which also shows the dark patches in the exact same place: http://www.karelteuwen.be/photo_page.php?img=267&album=14

Although i cant say with absolute certainty that the void is really there, my gut is telling me it is.

Yes, I think you are probably right. I know Karel, whose robotic setup is quite near to my place, and he's a very expert and very rigorous imager. Interesting stuff.

Olly

Really enjoyed the image. Lovely at a glance and more there if you look closely.

For the non asto comunity, you could consider cropping from the top to improve the overall composition.

Stupid question for the visual only guy - what is IFN?

Paul

Cheers Stuart and Elio.

Heres a version with the magenta's dropped a bit, and a touch more in the galaxy. Unfortunately i seem to have lost my TIFF file so i had to make the adjustment on the JPEG

gallery_26473_2818_80416.jpg

Archived