Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'sombrero galaxy'.
Found 3 results
Subframes: 70 x 200s luminance, 5 x 200s each for RGB 2 x 2 binned), 20 darks and bias frames, 20 flats for each channel (image stacking, hot pixel and gradient removal in Astroart, curves and colour composition in Paint Shop Pro). I had never attempted to image this galaxy before, and thought it might be a bit of a challenge for my Vixen ED114 given its low location in the sky. For me, objects this low down in the southern sky are badly obscured by light pollution from the Aurora Maidstonealis. In terms of imaging, I find that light pollution filters don't really offer any contrast boosting effect, and that image processing seems to be a better option to offset light sky backgrounds. What do others find, I wonder? Given that these were my first clear nights in nearly six weeks I couldn't really ignore the opportunity, even though the seeing wasn't great and the sky not truly dark (high haze, I think). On the plus side, the moon was new and caused no glare problems. Nevertheless, the conditions led to somewhat noisy sub-frames with gradients that I scrubbed up as best I could using the nifty Astroart gradient removal plug-in, plus noise flattening in PaintShop Pro (curves and edge preserving smooth). I don't normally bother with dark frames but it did seem to help with the background noise in this case. My ancient SXV-H9 camera is not set-point cooling regulated and so maybe the warmer weather is adding a dose of electronic noise to my subs. The output is never going to win any prizes of course, but in the end I was quite pleased with this effort, even if it only shows the Sombrero's dust lane and little else. Any comments or processing suggestions welcome, but I don't have Pixinsight or Photoshop CS. So if my fleem needs sprigomising or something like that, then alas, so be it...
Took this M104 aka the Sombrero Galaxy during my lest year visit to Namibia (April 2017). M104 is quite a small object for an F3.6 telescope but since it is very difficult to photo this object from my country I decided to take some photos. Hope you like it Photo details: 6 x 10Min Luminance in BIN1 = 1 Hour 25Min for each RGB in BIN2 = 75Min Total Expo: 2:15 Hours Hardware used: Telescope: ASA 12'' F3.6 Astrograph Mount: ASA DDM85 Mount Camera: FLI8300 with Astrodon filters You can also check my other versions of this Galaxy in my Flickr page: https://www.flickr.com/photos/101543943@N04/ Thanks for watching, Haim Huli
Hello All, This is one of the objects which data I’m going through which I captured during the last couple of months. This is an image of M104 which I captured across a few nights starting end of March and a couple of nights in April. This was imaged at 2032mm, the 8” SCT native focal length, 300s, 600s and 900s ISO800 subs. This didn’t come out as well as I hoped it would, no details in the edge shadow, but during those nights I was fighting slight haze… this is an object which I’ll have to image again in the future. 3 objects left to process. Clear skies, MG