SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Recent Saturn images...

Kokatha man

Hi all - here's some recent Saturns...I haven't posted here on SGL for quite some time but I have dropped in to make a comment on folks' threads from time to time... :)

A couple of these images were taken with the new ASI120MM-S camera which although giving no added benefit on Saturn has enabled us to shoot Mars at nearly 400fps!

Pleased to be picking up some real surface details with Saturn which has been a difficult target for some reason this apparition! :(

post-3551-0-46793900-1401020421_thumb.pn

post-3551-0-32608300-1401020439_thumb.pn

post-3551-0-48794400-1401020455_thumb.pn

post-3551-0-00042400-1401020471_thumb.pn

post-3551-0-94784300-1401020483_thumb.pn

post-3551-0-85550300-1401020495_thumb.pn

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Staggering images Darryl - one day, when I grow up and can afford to fly south ;)   Will be interested to hear more on the USB3 ASI-120MM-S, the frame rates will be excellent - though pity my poor hard drive having to cope with all that extra data.    Perhaps time for a new lappie and some fast SSD dedicated for capture and stacking operations.    Should be great for Solar, Lunar, Mars, Jupiter and Venus.

Thanks also Wookie, Daniel NR, Mr S, Robbie, Angie, Jake & Simmo -  we (Pat & myself) appreciate your generous comments! :)

I'll post the Mars @ high fps later on in another thread along with the capture details.....we've only had one indoor test & one "real" capture session so far - the camera arrived just after we'd left for a 2 week bush trip so we really haven't had much time to play with it since we got home.....and it's been cloudy & rainy mostly since... :(

As for our laptop specs it is a plain 5400rpm mechanical hard drive.....nothing fancy but we try & keep it relatively uncluttered with data before we start capturing: captures aren't affected whatsoever even at the highest frame-rates over long timespans. :)

Thanks also to Chris, Richard, Andy, Peter, Paul, Mike, Chris & N/Canadian...you are all really a bit too kind! :)

Although the images in this thread & a few more earlier ones have been up to scratch the results in general this current apparition have been more disappointing than last year's.....this even though Saturn is now over 60° (higher than last year) & just as bright although a tad smaller in apparent size.

I guess the automatic thought there is that it is perhaps further away - in our activities this is one bit of info we haven't checked & could provide an explanation if correct.....but surface details in the form of dark or light spots etc really does challenge you, and mostly all in the seeing stakes!

At any rate I know we haven't had some of those really great nights of seeing like last year...I keep the avi's of the best seeing captures from last year on my laptop desktop just for comparison's sake when I want to compare with the onscreen feeds anytime.....and nothing has really come close this year so far! :(

Archived