Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Anyone else truly happy with there EP collection?

Mike73

You can only really try and see. Alan's point is well made, he doesn't have a problem with floaters at this level of exit pupil but John and I do, we are all different.

I actually bought my 3.7mm Ethos SX not because of the fov, but because it seems to be bang on the money as a near maximum useful mag with most of my scopes, and gives 0.6mm exit pupil in quite a few of them.

baqu6e2a.jpg

To be able to see the whole disk of the moon at x186 with my 106 triplet is not a bad experience :-)

bu2a7epy.jpg

My only problem is my eyelashes getting in the way!!

Stu

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Poor Sarah said to me she wishes she could dislike my Ethos comment :eek:  Thanks all for the thoughts, I didn't realise about low exit pupil and floaters. I think what I am going to do is take my lovely 6mm Delos and pop it into the 2.5x Powermate, which I think should work out to about 2.5x. The Powermate is underused at the mo and the Delos does Barlow well.

I agree about the TS HR Planetary being very good. I use my TS HR 9mm a lot for solar and a bit on the Moon. As said, to my eyes it runs a Radian close - which for me is very impressive considering it costs about a quarter of the price!

I have used my 7mm Pentax with a 2.5x Televue Barlow for a 2.8mm effective focal length and that worked very well but looked like baseball bat sticking out of the focuser.

Poor Sarah said to me she wishes she could dislike my Ethos comment :eek: Thanks all for the thoughts, I didn't realise about low exit pupil and floaters. I think what I am going to do is take my lovely 6mm Delos and pop it into the 2.5x Powermate, which I think should work out to about 2.5x. The Powermate is underused at the mo and the Delos does Barlow well.

I agree about the TS HR Planetary being very good. I use my TS HR 9mm a lot for solar and a bit on the Moon. As said, to my eyes it runs a Radian close - which for me is very impressive considering it costs about a quarter of the price!

Surely she just needs to press the 'unlike' button? ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 4 months later...

I have now added a 6mm Delos and a 10mm Delos - thats me done - no more buying, just observing.

Congratulations to a very nice setup!

Recently I have become very interested in video astronomy but thats a whole new ball game.

Is it another door opening to a slippery road? :grin:

YKSE.

Is it another door opening to a slippery road? :grin:

It's starting to feel like that.

Doing a lot of research at the moment, who knows where it will lead to.

The weather hasn't been very good lately but did manage to get an image of the moon a few days ago during the day in a clear blue sky.

The image is unprocessed as I haven't a clue about video astronomy or processing at the moment but I am hoping to learn.

post-30866-0-14007200-1413755615_thumb.j

Avtar

So am I; baader zoom, 2naglers, illuminated reticle for polar aligning and me nifty envis and that's the lot. Did have the 28km UWAN but retired it as never got used.

It might be nice to have an ethos or two, but given that I want to see stuff under light pollution I don't need more. At the last starparty I was at the ethos got put back in the box after we got huntin for faint stuff.

I find the trouble comes when you cut out foam inserts for equipment cases... Never throw the spare bits of foam away, you WILL need them when you fiddle with your collection

Cheers

PeterW

• 3 weeks later...

Feeling reasonably happy with the scopes I have, and a possible bigger Dob in the future, with the EPs I have, I hope I can say the same as the OP, 'right thats it no more!'.

Here's the full line-up:

2" 70 degrees:

post-30887-0-28136700-1415828673_thumb.j

1.25" 70 degrees:

post-30887-0-36787400-1415828711_thumb.j

Zooms:

post-30887-0-83819100-1415828757_thumb.j

Bino pairs:

post-30887-0-02968300-1415828792_thumb.j

Light weights(<100 grams):

post-30887-0-99911000-1415828864_thumb.j

Barlows:

post-30887-0-78548500-1415828957_thumb.j

Since I have OCD about EP size and weight, this last comparo picture is compulsory :grin: :

Giant(520 grams) and dwarf(40 grams):

post-30887-0-56837600-1415828907_thumb.j

Not yet :p I'm still hungry for a lovely, low power 2" widefeld Nagler (something fitting for the 76 (26mm?) and 10" (20mm?)), a higher power Delos (6mm or 8mm), and a Quark eyepiece. And that's just my want list for eyepieces! Won't go into my want list for wooden tripods, tasty mounts and a 20" dob! Read some place it's good to have dreams :grin:

I have I think said yes before but now I am going to have a chance to reconsider my standing.

Firstly, I said I would never sell my 20mm Nagler and before the disemboweling knives are sharpened, I did hang on to it over a year after the 21mm Ethos was bought but I put my hand up to being a hypocrite.

I still would like to add the following to my cases. 8mm Delos, 4.7mm Ethos 27mm Panoptic and a 5mm Pentax XO, the latter being the most difficult to bag. Oh, and if the price of Zeiss ZO ll's suddenly fell through the floor I would grab a short one of those as well.

Alan

• 2 weeks later...

Well I have said yes before and still gone on to re-shuffle later on, but yes my current set of 5 meet my needs and interests really very well.

I'm sure we can do something about that! Mwahahaha!  :evil:

Whilst, I'm sure, what you have is lovely and meets most of your needs, don't you ever hanker after just a little more power, say, on the moon?!

Perhaps the TV 2x barlow and your 8mm radian to go cruising down some valleys or skimming the floor of a few craters? ;)

SHould get an SLV 5mm shortly. This is either going to be used on superb nights on Mars and the moon in the C8, or as part of a lighter travel set for planetary in the 80mm F/6. There was also a 25mm TV Plossl going so cheap I could not resist it. That should arrive at the end of the week. Should be good in a planned Daystar Quark purchase.

It is not that I was not satisfied with the EP collection. I just want to be a bit more satisfied with it :D

No where near happy enough, but I have a real blast with what I've got! Having looked into what's out there like the Ethos, the skies the limit on EPs. I have gaps at high power and the low end as well, but there's a rumor Santa's on his way.... :)

Very satisfied with my set of ES100's! I like them so much I actually worry about developing astigmatism in both eyes thus prevent me from using them! I currently only have it mild astigmatism in the right eye so its such a first world issue to worry about  :rolleyes:

I sometimes look at my 1.25" collection and think it might be better served converting into eyepiece pairs for binoviewing. it would be a painful process changing some of my wide bodied Maxvisions which I'm also rather fond of so its an idea on the back burner for now. 

At the start of last year I was in the unfortunate position of having to sell off 90% of my astro gear to raise some money, I had a pretty good selection of Delos and Naglers but they all went.

Its taken me a while to get back on my feet but I've eventually got what I think is my perfect EP collection back.

Today I received a 26mm T5 via Faulksy via Alan :) which completes my set of EP's to cover my 10" f/6.3 and 16" f/4.5.

Anyone else got to a point of buying EP's when they can actually say 'right thats it no more!'?

hahaha, love this question, like when can we have enough, EP's are like shoes and handbags/coats/hats/dresses/makeup- need I go on. So lets be truthful. We are all like Oliver Twist, please sir, can I have some more ?  :grin:

hahaha, love this question, like when can we have enough, EP's are like shoes and handbags/coats/hats/dresses/makeup- need I go on. So lets be truthful. We are all like Oliver Twist, please sir, can I have some more ? :grin:

whatever floats yer boat Steve :0)

Archived