SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Anyone else truly happy with there EP collection?

Mike73

At the moment, yes, I'm happy with my humble collection. The X-Cel LX's may not be premium eyepieces but I'm more than happy with them. Good price/performance. My new ES82 30mm however is quite a bit better as far as I can tell and has quickly become my favourite eyepiece. So sometime in the future, I might get tempted to add a few more of those to the collection.

post-22147-0-28954400-1401437848_thumb.j

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At the moment, yes, I'm happy with my humble collection. The X-Cel LX's may not be premium eyepieces but I'm more than happy with them. Good price/performance. My new ES82 30mm however is quite a bit better as far as I can tell and has quickly become my favourite eyepiece. So sometime in the future, I might get tempted to add a few more of those to the collection.

What you describe is what I call the Ratchet Effect: If one EP in a collection is slightly better than the others, you will be tempted to replace the others. As you are replacing them, you might get one which s even better than the one that started you on the slippery slope ;)

What you describe is what I call the Ratchet Effect: If one EP in a collection is slightly better than the others, you will be tempted to replace the others. As you are replacing them, you might get one which s even better than the one that started you on the slippery slope ;)

The opposite effect is called the Hatchet effect and sometimes follows after the Ratchet effect. You replace one eyepiece with a much cheaper one that is almost as good, and spend the funds on something awesome, like a solar h-alpha scope (hello, Shane!). Before you know it, after several iterations, you are back to your original unbranded 10mm and 25mm eyepieces and the circle is complete :D

LOL

I am at £724 saved and counting!!

Hi Shane,

I take it that offer did not tempt you. I think that may be because they did not advertise the apperture you are after was not listed - oh well, patience certainly has its virtues.

Ian

hi Ian

I have verbally committed to buying one of the first batch of Lunt 50s from FLO when they land :0)

On the eyepiece front I am very happy with mine but in all honesty I reckon this is the sort of hobby where you constantly feel you have to consider the new shiny offerings that come up both new and used. the marketing guys do a fantastic job on us all I think. :grin:

I'm happy with my set, don't need anything else. However, I said the same thing before the Ethos was introduced and now am only the 4.7 short of having the entire Ethos line so never say never...

Well its been a whole 10 days since I started this thread and although I really 'was' happy with my minimalist 3 EP set I'm already thinking of other EP's!  :grin:

My Leica is amazing but now I've had a good play with it with my big scope at my dark site the 60˚/70˚ it gives from 17.9mm to 14mm is too narrow, from 14mm to 4.8mm to TFoV widens to between 70˚ and 80˚ which is fine...

I'm also quite liking the 80˚ that the Leica and my 26mm Nagler gives, so this has got me thinking whether I could go the hog and move up to the 100˚ Ethos and use them with the eyecups folded down so I could see the whole 100˚? IF I could then a 17mm and 13mm Ethos would 'definitely' complete my eyepiece case!

I guess the moral of the story is never say never!  :grin:

For some reason objects look a little different at times using a variety of eyepieces,so a selection can be good-to me anyway.A good example is viewing Jupiter,I switch back and forth from "cool" EP to "warm" EP finding whats best for the evening,or the hour.Nebulae also seem to have different characters in each eyepiece.It is all about the experience to me,maximizing the moment, regardless of the brand or FOV of the EP.

The 100 deg eyepieces offer an experience that is unique and that has its place,I love them for some stuff.Not needed for sure,but nice.It is the diversity of eyepieces that makes me very satisfied with my set up.

The ES 30 mm 82 degree is a real gem. Nice choice.

It sure is a real gem! Really glad I got this EP. Too bad the nights doesn't get really dark right now though.

Oh nooooo! Tempted yes, but not enough to invest in more EP's. For the time being... :grin:

Luke,

Just read something you posted a few days ago, congratulations and I now blame you for all the bad weather :laugh:  :laugh:. Goldern rule of eyepiece purchase never, never more than two at a time, I think Noah bought 3 eyepieces all those years ago .

Well its been a whole 10 days since I started this thread and although I really 'was' happy with my minimalist 3 EP set I'm already thinking of other EP's! :grin:

My Leica is amazing but now I've had a good play with it with my big scope at my dark site the 60˚/70˚ it gives from 17.9mm to 14mm is too narrow, from 14mm to 4.8mm to TFoV widens to between 70˚ and 80˚ which is fine...

I'm also quite liking the 80˚ that the Leica and my 26mm Nagler gives, so this has got me thinking whether I could go the hog and move up to the 100˚ Ethos and use them with the eyecups folded down so I could see the whole 100˚? IF I could then a 17mm and 13mm Ethos would 'definitely' complete my eyepiece case!

I guess the moral of the story is never say never! :grin:

That's my thinking too Mike, but surely a 21e too? :-)

I had thought my few EPs were enough, but now I have decided I would like a `grab and go` scope; an 80mm or 100mm Frac; this will totally upset the apple cart and require me to add a couple of shorter focal length EPs....."oh dear, how sad, never mind" ( as Windsor Davies used to say in `It ain`t half hot mum`.............for those who can remember that far back!?) :smiley:  :laugh:   :rolleyes: 

Ahem, after declaring myself done just a few days ago, I have a shiny new Tele Vue 3mm Radian. Just over £130 brand new from Telescope House with the IAS 10% discount. Too tempting, especially as it will get me up to a reasonably sensible 120x mag with my 60mm frac. This really is complete now :grin:  I am not in any way tempted by a 2.5mm :rolleyes: Or rather, if there was a 60 degree, 2.5mm with 20mm eye relief, it would be more tempting than free beer. But there isn't one of those as far as I am aware. So I am done. Definitely. Probably. I would think so.

Luke,

So that's 3 Delos eyepieces and a Radian no wonder I have not had a clear sky this month.

2.5mm HR planetry from TS is long eye-relief and 60 degree FOV, these are by all accounts decent quality and not expensive, I would buy one. I reviewed the 2.5mm from TMB about three weeks back, the TS one is the same or better as it was from a design rubber stamped by TMB or so I am told.

Alan

Never say never for sure. but with   arrival of a 14mm Delos, it sort feels complete in a satisfying sort of way with a nice set now for the foreseeable future. A nagler zoom may be, or a separate 4mm would be nice but no rush. In the end I managed to stay away from the barlow/powermate route, though it could also be a solution for some high power combinations for me I may consider.

Next an OIII and a paracorr, an H beta at some stage, then it feels even more complete. :grin:

Only if the wide angle bug will strike me at some point and the whole cycle may start over. One or two more orhos in there for the fun of it would also be nice. 

No doubt more scopes may perturb that whole thing  but not planning to get another scope for  forseeable future, except for the 5 inch I am still tempted to perhaps get a small 6 inch f/5 Orion UK Dob or something similar that will take 2 inch eyepieces. 

Of course I'll not mention that word solar and Ha, seeing I've seen some members selling their kit  because they are hooked on it. Best solution for me,  Don't look through a solar scope, don't want to go an sell half of the stuff I bought again :grin:  

I thought I was nearly done, but have since decided I'm not quite as nearly done as I thought I was. In fact I now think I'm closer to being undone :D

:iamwithstupid:

Is it that 8mm Ethos on UK AB&S beckoning you Steve ?.

Archived