Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M101 part 2 (the part that nearly never was).....

johnrt

Following on from my Luminance image http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/215629-m101-atik-460ex/ I have been chipping away at the colour channels for my M101 project.

Just as I had everything ready for a process the hard drive on my iMac died taking everything with it - not a problem as I had all the data backed up, or so I thought. Turns out yes I had all the original files straight from the camera BUT I no longer had flats and in the meantime I had adjusted camera spacing, cleaned optics and replaced my filter wheel!!! No way could I get the original frames into useable condition to produce an image.

Not to be defeated, as I had captured about 15 hours of data by this point, I did something a little drastic to produce a final image.

Now if you're an imaging purist, or just faint of heart read on no further.

I processed my colour files with accompanying calibration frames, and then used the jpeg I had uploaded to Flickr as the luminance  to complete the image :o:Envy:

Crikey.

Well a few tweaks and processing head scratches later the final image has made it to daylight, which I feared it never would, it has survived poor spacing from chip to reducer, light leaks, equipment replacement and hard drive failure but here it is :)

14138938754_d259c04f0c_b.jpg

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh my, as if it isn't hard enough already! You did well to not just sit in the corner crying... The result is great!

Ah I generally reserve that kind of behaviour for when I'm at work :)

An excellent result, John... Lovely detail and colour balance...

I'm always amazed at this hobby - Just as soon as you think you've got every step of the process ironed out, a curve ball flies in from left field to try and knock everything askew again.  However, in this case, if you hadn't told us(!), we'd never have known :smiley:.  A testament to your processing skills, sir :icon_salut:

Nowt wrong with your methods mate :)  it was a means to an end.

Colour is colour is colour (as long as its yours of course).

I dont think its possible to be a purist unless youre using film, as with digital data you have to do things to it in order to get the desired result. For instance, my 383 has a small column of dead pixels near one edge - I just fix it with a clone brush since its not the kind of thing that stacks out easily.

Archived