Jump to content

Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Russe

Imaging with the 130pds

Recommended Posts

Meanwhile, I had some spare time today and I processed some partial data for M27. 8h of O3 and 4:40h of Ha. Need more data. Perhaps ~16h of O3, 10h of Ha and some RGB.

M27-F588-2018-05-07-HOO_p01_crop.jpg

M27-F588-2018-05-07-HOO_p01_half.jpg

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, moise212 said:

Meanwhile, I had some spare time today and I processed some partial data for M27. 8h of O3 and 4:40h of Ha. Need more data. Perhaps ~16h of O3, 10h of Ha and some RGB.

M27-F588-2018-05-07-HOO_p01_crop.jpg

M27-F588-2018-05-07-HOO_p01_half.jpg

Nice color!

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Could someone please post a picture of the secondary viewed from a collimation cap? I ask because I'm trying to align the secondary mirror to the primary mirror  but can only make it to show two of the three primary clips..

Thanks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

1 hour ago, Atreta said:

secondary viewed from a collimation cap

Here's mine. AFAIK -in Europe at least- a collimation cap is an old film canister with a hole in the centre. Maybe that's not it? Some confusing terms!

This snap is with the secondary positioned ready for the primary to be tweaked with a star test.

Post a picture of yours and we'll be able to help better.

HTH

IMG_20180510_075227.jpg

IMG_20180510_075318.thumb.jpg.95861c67985186a6d16c6851ce769378.jpg

Edited by alacant

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Collimation is something ive never been very good at--ever since i took all the mirrors out to put flocking in, I don't seem to be able to get the mirrors lined up properly. Right now, both a laser and the Cheshire say its collimated properly, but the primary is obviously tilted towards the eyepiece side of the tube.

Does that mean i need to tighten the screw on the opposite side of the secondary to the focuser, so that I can then relax the primary mirror again? It's all rather confusing, and never seems to work out the way all the tutorials ive read/watched say it should. 

John

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Starting on a new target last night ... M5 .... I only got time to capture the luminance channel then it started to rain ..... and the forecast is calling for three days of heavy dust!!!!! I'm quite sure I didn't buy any new equipment!!!!!

This is about 90 X 64s exposures.

lum no flat.jpg

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, JohnSadlerAstro said:

Collimation is something ive never been very good at

Have you made sure that the focuser is aligned (if this was removed).

Mark.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, spillage said:

Have you made sure that the focuser is aligned (if this was removed).

Hi,

I didn't remove it for the flocking process, although I did make sure that was level all the way round with its mounting. I guess part of the trouble is that I never did much collimation until i got my PDS and the image coma became an issue. With some more practice, I'm sure it will improve. ;) 

John

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, al-alami said:

Starting on a new target last night ... M5 .... I only got time to capture the luminance channel then it started to rain ..... and the forecast is calling for three days of heavy dust!!!!! I'm quite sure I didn't buy any new equipment!!!!!

This is about 90 X 64s exposures.

lum no flat.jpg

Following me jajajaja

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, alacant said:

Post a picture of yours and we'll be able to help better.

Thanks a lot, Alacant. 

This is how it looks like through the cap and with the focuser racked all the way out :

DSC_0023.JPG.b09355fbed9a40e3883bc0bbb8a1b75d.JPG

This one is from the secondary without anything on the focuser just to show its position related to the draw tube:

DSC_0024.thumb.JPG.41634a849c61eaf7b51d6dda540a4ca1.JPG

I noticed that if i rack in the focuser and look through the cap, the position of the reflection shifts., it moves over to the left. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Atreta said:

This is how it looks like through the cap

OK. Can you post a shot of the cap? Is it a sight tube with cross-hairs? A Cheshire with cross-hairs maybe? IMHO best to forget that ATM and concentrate on the second shot you posted. Make a simple cap (see my shot here) so that your eye or phone are centred in the focuser tube. From the orientation you have ATM the secondary needs moving up the tube -away from the primary- and vertically -up relative to the orientation you have taken the photo-. Make it concentric. That will get you close enough for a star test or your other cap. Whatever your cap is is, I don't think you'll be able to see all three mirror clips using it as it has too small a diameter.

HTH and good luck.

Edited by alacant

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Atreta said:

if i rack in the focuser and look through the cap, the position of the reflection shifts

Mine does that too. So also does a new one I bought for another project. They also slip unpredictably and change focus when you use the lock screw. Hopeless. YMMV but I've had no luck with sw focusers. Ever. Leave it locked in the focus position and collimate from there is your best bet. HTH.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, alacant said:

Mine does that too. So also does a new one I bought for another project. They also slip unpredictably and change focus when you use the lock screw. Hopeless. YMMV but I've had no luck with sw focusers. Ever. Leave it locked in the focus position and collimate from there is your best bet. HTH.

Yes I have noticed this issue as well. Unfortunately the default focusers just don't keep steady at different focus points. (Although, once they are locked in position its all good, so not realy much point in getting a new focuser unless you plan to image with 2 entirely different cameras in one night. :))

John

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JohnSadlerAstro said:

Yes I have noticed this issue as well. Unfortunately the default focusers just don't keep steady at different focus points. (Although, once they are locked in position its all good, so not realy much point in getting a new focuser unless you plan to image with 2 entirely different cameras in one night. :)

John

You can change the focuser to a Moonlite :-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, alacant said:

OK. Can you post a shot of the cap? Is it a sight tube with cross-hairs? A Cheshire with cross-hairs maybe? IMHO best to forget that ATM and concentrate on the second shot you posted. Make a simple cap (see my shot here) so that your eye or phone are centred in the focuser tube. From the orientation you have ATM the secondary needs moving up the tube -away from the primary- and vertically -up relative to the orientation you have taken the photo-. Make it concentric. That will get you close enough for a star test or your other cap. Whatever your cap is is, I don't think you'll be able to see all three mirror clips using it as it has too small a diameter.

HTH and good luck.

Thanks again, i used the upper part of the Cheshire.   I'll make those adjustments you mentioned and try again.  

Here's a picture of what i used, i guess the hole is too small compared to your picture. DSC_0027.thumb.JPG.9294b1a1c525372d5c02dfae6dc7c5a1.JPG

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Atreta said:

 I'll make those adjustments

Your cap is fine. Better than mine. Does your Cheshire have cross hairs?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One more and perhaps the last solely with the 130PDS. I will add more data to this, but taken through another scope.

This is 8h Oiii and 7h Ha.

M27-F588-2018-05-12-HOO_p01_crop.jpg

M27-F588-2018-05-12-HOO_p01_half.jpg

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At last I managed to catch the Eagle!
(fell a sleep and spoiled 50% of images... lesson learned... beer+AP=no no!)
I am not yet good at processing, any advice will help! :) it looks bit too red for me.

Thanks for watching!

[Eagle Nebula [M16]. SW 130PDS, Canon 1300D +LP filer, [30x120s, ISO800] - Woolwich]

EagleN-1.thumb.jpg.b6a2b5a55affcddcf8fad0056b0c43d9.jpg

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A very nice one. I think it *is* very red actually (and confirmed by my first try at it last year).

But your stars are all white or reddish so it might be too red and need a bit of color rebalancing. Depending on the software you use, it may have the option to auto-calibrate colors based on known star colors (use it with high-depth image so ≥ 16-bit). Otherwise have a play with manual white balance, maybe after subtracting a bit of red channel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, RolandKol said:

bit too red for me

Hi. Not sure. I tried balancing it a bit but lost a lot of the nebula:( Great shot anyway:) Maybe do longer light frames? HTH and clear skies.

16-1.jpg.thumb.jpg.4359a32afaa57ded1b21f004d6e9f5aa.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RolandKol said:

At last I managed to catch the Eagle!
(fell a sleep and spoiled 50% of images... lesson learned... beer+AP=no no!)
I am not yet good at processing, any advice will help! :) it looks bit too red for me.

Thanks for watching!

Well done!

It's a challenge here, but I should be able to get an hour and a half on it if I time things right.

 I could set up on the kitchen's flat roof and get a better view, but I think the neighbours might object to me being level with their landing window...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, alacant said:

Hi. Not sure. I tried balancing it a bit but lost a lot of the nebula:( Great shot anyway:) Maybe do longer light frames? HTH and clear skies.

 

 

Thanks, this what actually happened to me also... So I decided to leave the reddish one :) 
 

Yep, I hope I will manage to add a bit more images to the stack, and unfortunately, 120sec is the top I can go for as LP does not allow to go for longer ones... 

Even at 120sec Histogram is very close to the right... LP filter does not help, + Moon!

P.S.

Thanks guys for advices, I think I will try to subtract background 2 or even 3 times and see what happens with color calibration after.

Edited by RolandKol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RolandKol said:

Thanks, this what actually happened to me also... So I decided to leave the reddish one :) 
 

Yep, I hope I will manage to add a bit more images to the stack, and unfortunately, 120sec is the top I can go for as LP does not allow to go for longer ones... 

Even at 120sec Histogram is very close to the right... LP filter does not help, + Moon!

P.S.

Thanks guys for advices, I think I will try to subtract background 2 or even 3 times and see what happens with color calibration after.

Split into two layers, use the reddish one as luminance and change the colour balance of the other one.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My last one, m8-lagoon nebula. 

Only 58 minutes worth of integration. 

 

173120188_m9flats-editada.thumb.jpg.d37f97c0f5efe64839fb6b149a2c25a9.jpg

Ps: i named it wrong when saving :)

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Similar Content

    • By AstroRuz
      For sale is my beloved but now superfluous to requirements HEQ5 Pro for £650
      It's in a used condition as you would imagine. I've had it for about 4 years and found great success with this mount. Ideal for those beginning astrophotography and also good for visual users.
      I'm calling it "deluxe" due to the upgrades I've had done.
      - It's belt modified
      - It's had brand new bearings and grease
      - The backlash has been expertly setup 
      - It has the latest polar scope
      - The power port has been replaced with an aviation style port which is a lot more secure
      It'll come with the hand controller and at least 1 counterweight (if I can find the second it'll come with both). The polar scope cover has been lost. The counterweight is rusty as always. There is some marring on the counterweight bar housing as shown in the photos.
      It also will come with the modified power cable required also.
      Note: the power LED sometimes doesn't illuminate but the mount is still powered (please see the photo with the hand controller).
      Collection or local delivery within Northampton







    • By Spacecake2
      Hello,
      I know you've seen these questions a lot (unless your new) but I'm struggling a lot on if I should buy a Skywatcher 250px (10") or 200px (8") (dobsonians). I have a 5 inch and i'm looking for a big step up for noticeable changes. 
      Thank you 
       
    • By Hoopla
      Hi All,
      im totally new to this and have been getting setup over the past 3 months. I’ve purchased a Skywatcher 150P on a EQ3 Pro mount. 
       
      I have a 2x and 3x Barlow with 10x and 20x eyepieces. I’m trying to view and photograph Mars as it’s so bright at present and easy to see however I’m really struggling to see anything more than a bright ball when viewing and when photographing it’s just a blurry ball. 
       
      I have a canon 700d DSLR with t ring and adaptors  
      can folk suggest what combination of Barlow / eyepiece would be required to view Mars in all its glory and possibly lens and iso/exposure settings to get some nice shots too please. I’m aware I may need to stack and am tech savvy so this bit should be ok. I just can’t seem to get anything at present to process.
      help!! 
    • By Astrid
      My 200P just arrived and oh my God... I have been trying to wrap my head around the mount for 4 hours.
      The manual didn't really help so I decided to go on youtube, but again, I didn't find any good and detailed videos so I decided to ask here if there is any video or perhaps blog post that might help me set up the mount. 
      Thank you very much! 
      *by the way, is the EQ5 supposed to have slow motion cables? I only got 2 knobs (not cables) and I'm not sure if there is something missing or not... sorry, this is the first time I've used a serious equatorial mount or telescope. 
      Thank you very much!
    • By Davehux
      There’s a new kid on the block now, so it’s time to move this brilliant scope onto another happy owner.
      Bought new from FLO just over 2 years age, it’s produced some awesome image - shown below - all taken with this scope and an ASI294 camera.
      I’ve upgraded the focuser to an OVL model, and the difference from the standard one is immense. Runs smooth from one end to the other, and has no problem holding a lump of a cooled camera or a DSLR without slipping. It also has a standard 2” connector.
      Also included is the Skywatcher 0.85 focal reducer/flattener with 2” adapter, so swapping out the camera for the eyepiece is a 2 second job.
      The optics are all clean, bright and scratch-free. There’s a piece of Velcro on the tube, where I used to have my ASIair V1 stuck on. Apart from the usual bite marks on the dovetail, it’s in excellent overall condition.
      The standard SW 9x50 finder scope, 28mm eyepiece, a couple of adapters, and diagonal are all included, also comes with the aluminium case.
      This whole outfit would cost you £842 plus delivery, to buy from FLO today. It’s yours for £525 delivered to a UK mainland address. 
       









×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.