Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Imaging with the 130pds

Russe

14 hours ago, Ross1204 said:

Hi,

I have recently started to get the secondary mirror on my 130pds dew up pretty fast and am wondering if one of these heaters would be suitable? I am just a little unsure on how to measure the stalk as there are two sizes available. I also already use a dew shield  which has helped but not stopped the problem on the bad nights. 

The product also states for a 'glued secondary mirror' is that what the 130pds has?

Yes it's glued on, not held by clips. I use a long dewshield from camp mat and rarely have dew issues. On two very damp nights I've used a heat gun on a low setting to clear the secondary.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Yes it's glued on, not held by clips. I use a long dewshield from camp mat and rarely have dew issues. On two very damp nights I've used a heat gun on a low setting to clear the secondary.

Thank you for the reply. 

Out of interested if I were to use a hairdryer or heat gun do you need to remove the camera and direct low heat directly on to the secondary or can you just direct the air straight in to the ota? 

Also how long roughly would you say you need to use it to clear the mirror? 

Ross

Edited by Ross1204

15 minutes ago, Ross1204 said:

Out of interested if I were to use a hairdryer or heat gun do you need to remove the camera and direct low heat directly on to the secondary or can you just direct the air straight in to the ota?

Probably about a minute, directed in the end at an angle so it 'swirled' around the tube rather than at the mirror.

I have no idea if this is the best approach, it just seemed appropriate.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Probably about a minute, directed in the end at an angle so it 'swirled' around the tube rather than at the mirror.

I have no idea if this is the best approach, it just seemed appropriate.

OK that make sense. I always find it hard to see the mirror fog on the reflection from the primary but I generally know something is wrong by the histogram slightly moving more to the left the worse it gets. 

On 14/09/2018 at 18:49, Ross1204 said:

OK that make sense. I always find it hard to see the mirror fog on the reflection from the primary but I generally know something is wrong by the histogram slightly moving more to the left the worse it gets. 

Its not the best way of going about it because the change in temperature of the tube will muck up your focus as you are also heating the entire tube. You are better off with a dew shield. 

One thing I would say about dew on a Newtonian is that I got it constantly as you do, then once I got an observatory I have not had it happen once. Its a roll off roof so the scope is still exposed. I think its more associated with taking a warm scope out of the house. If you can keep the scope in a unheated environment such as a shed it will help you no end. 

Adam

6 hours ago, Adam J said:

Its not the best way of going about it because the change in temperature of the tube will muck up your focus as you are also heating the entire tube. You are better off with a dew shield. 

One thing I would say about dew on a Newtonian is that I got it constantly as you do, then once I got an observatory I have not had it happen once. Its a roll off roof so the scope is still exposed. I think its more associated with taking a warm scope out of the house. If you can keep the scope in a unheated environment such as a shed it will help you no end. 

Adam

Unfortunately I don't see an observatory on the cards anytime soon so still scouring the internet for the best solution for the 130PDS. 

There are a few different heater options for the secondary on Newtonian telescopes but I think the secondary on the 130PDS is too small for this Kendrick heater.

Kenderick.thumb.jpg.e0085df801a216db1f770338b5949511.jpg

I did read on one retailers site they stated the minor axis of the 130PDS to be 47mm which is obviously too small for this heater unfortunately.

So with this being said you also have the option for something like this.

S-Mir_heater.jpg.d0cc8798fee25b2f9269bf2a91d506dc.jpg

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p8571_AST-Heater-for-glued-Newtonian-secondary-mirrors-with-holder-D-31-mm.html

But again I am unsure whether this is the right size and would be suitable. 

I currently own this Dew Shield but unfortunately the secondary has still slightly fogged up, granted way less less than without it so definitely helps a bit.

https://www.telescopehouse.com/accessories/dew-removal/omegon-5-dew-shield-145-165mm.html

Ross

14 hours ago, Ross1204 said:

Unfortunately I don't see an observatory on the cards anytime soon so still scouring the internet for the best solution for the 130PDS. 

There are a few different heater options for the secondary on Newtonian telescopes but I think the secondary on the 130PDS is too small for this Kendrick heater.

Kenderick.thumb.jpg.e0085df801a216db1f770338b5949511.jpg

I did read on one retailers site they stated the minor axis of the 130PDS to be 47mm which is obviously too small for this heater unfortunately.

So with this being said you also have the option for something like this.

S-Mir_heater.jpg.d0cc8798fee25b2f9269bf2a91d506dc.jpg

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p8571_AST-Heater-for-glued-Newtonian-secondary-mirrors-with-holder-D-31-mm.html

But again I am unsure whether this is the right size and would be suitable. 

I currently own this Dew Shield but unfortunately the secondary has still slightly fogged up, granted way less less than without it so definitely helps a bit.

https://www.telescopehouse.com/accessories/dew-removal/omegon-5-dew-shield-145-165mm.html

Ross

My solution would be to get some Nichrome wire and make your own to fit. 

Being unable to go out these days due to the storms, I have spent my time fine-tunning (a bit more) the SW130PDS Moonlite. I have added a second hand (but new), Losmandy dovetail (330mm), and tested how they fit my home made 3D boxes for the hub usb and my power distribution unit. Due to the lack of space the dew controller box (the one I made following the project myDewController3 from Bob Brown) will be fitted on the RA mount axis.

Cheers.

Mario.

P_20180919_193618.jpg

IMG-20180919-WA0007.jpeg

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Susaron said:

Being unable to go out these days due to the storms, I have spent my time fine-tunning (a bit more) the SW130PDS Moonlite. I have added a second hand (but new), Losmandy dovetail (330mm), and tested how they fit my home made 3D boxes for the hub usb and my power distribution unit. Due to the lack of space the dew controller box (the one I made following the project myDewController3 from Bob Brown) will be fitted on the RA mount axis.

Cheers.

Mario.

Very nice, I have been thinking about that focuser, what coma corrector do you use?

I am worried about how it grips the MPCCMK3?

Adam

3 hours ago, Adam J said:

Very nice, I have been thinking about that focuser, what coma corrector do you use?

I am worried about how it grips the MPCCMK3?

Adam

Hi Adam I use the Baader MPCC Mk3 coupled to the QHY168C, the distance from the sensor to the MPCC is around 57mm in order to avoid coma.

Needless to say the Moonlite transforms this scope in an upper class one. It holds perfectly without tilt the "heavy" QHY (700 grams), with your 1600 it will be even easier.

Cheers.

On 20/09/2018 at 21:11, Susaron said:

Hi Adam I use the Baader MPCC Mk3 coupled to the QHY168C, the distance from the sensor to the MPCC is around 57mm in order to avoid coma.

Needless to say the Moonlite transforms this scope in an upper class one. It holds perfectly without tilt the "heavy" QHY (700 grams), with your 1600 it will be even easier.

Cheers.

I can't say I've ever had problems holding my 450D (with built on cooler) on the stock 130P-DS focuser and CCD inspector says my tilt is 0.1 arc-seconds.

4 hours ago, Lead_weight said:

Is there an equivalent version of this scope in the U.S.? I would love one of these smaller fast scopes, but can't seem to find an equivalent, and SkyWatcher doesn't carry it on the U.S. site. 

It has a slightly different name in the usa, bkp 130ds. I did a search and found a store in Canada that sells it, but i don't know if i can post a link to it here. 

11 hours ago, Lead_weight said:

Is there an equivalent version of this scope in the U.S.? I would love one of these smaller fast scopes, but can't seem to find an equivalent, and SkyWatcher doesn't carry it on the U.S. site. 

You can find it in Skywatcher Canada.

A similar option.is the Bresser/ Explore Scientific 130/650 but its focuser it not prepared for astrophoto, a pity as the Hexafoc from Bressee is a solid focuser.

Moreover I am sure that if you contact Skywatcher USA, they will be happy to bring you one scope from Canada.

Edited by Susaron

43 minutes ago, Susaron said:

Bresser/ Explore Scientific 130/650

Unfortunately the secondary spider with non adjustable 3 prong -fat- arms doesn't help either. I contacted them about a proper 4 vane spider and the possibility of adding the -superb- hexafoc focuser. Whilst they didn't say yes or no, they did offer an upgrade suggestion. If they could get it into production, it really would be IMO the better choice over the pds.

• 2 weeks later...

My new setup for the SW130PDS Moonlite (with steroids), I have added a Losmandy dovetail to improve stability and my DIY power distribution unit (up to 8A) and a usb hub, also you can see a voltage boost to keep the QHY voltage around 12.4 volts.

I did the field tests yesteday and the guiding was for the first time superb, around 0.4 RA Osc (never seen before). The objective due to the Moon was the Double Cluster.

Cheers.

Mario

42812328_10217215100879486_2754997907206701056_n.jpg

CumuloDoble_29_09_2018.jpg

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Are you sure there is a scope under all that?

I know it is hard to believe. With all that staff, specially with the losmandy the weight has raised to around 6.5kg, (including the 30mm guide tube etc..), plus the 0.7kg from the QHY. All very compressed around the tube. I removed the motorized focuser so it can even be worse.

• Haha 1

The balance and  stability improved a lot when I added the Losmandy dovetail (335mm long), with it the weight balance moves backwards so I can move the scope a little bit forward. The hub with the abs box weights only 300 grams, the 30mm guide tube around 500 grams, and the power distribution unit only 100 gr. Also I added to my AZEQ5 a dual Vixen/Losmandy saddle from Geoptik. its length is 14mm so you have a wider support surface.

Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone. I'd expected better for over 3 hours of light frames but at least you can see what it is:)

Thanks for looking and any processing tips for this one most gratefully received.

Canon 700d using 5 minute snaps

1039164037_ele3(copy).thumb.jpg.d8b7f627c6b1a39ff3b57a680d4515c5.jpg

Edited by alacant
@stub mandrel's suggestion on red
  • Like 3