SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Stargazing live 2014

northwalesparry

Hi all, yes it's that time of year again,and hopefully the weather will relent enough to allow us to see something(anything!) 'live'.  Whilst I'm pleased that anything astronomical is on primetime T.V.,I can't help but feel that I'm a bit of a 'party pooper'.O.K.,'Star gazing live '  may well introduce lots of newbies to astronomy,but I feel that the programme could be better. The presenters tend to let it down in my opinion- i.e. Brian Cox (the thinking womens' crumpet?)who seems to present every other science programme on the BBC,and Dara O'Briain,who seems to interrupt every 20 seconds with some inanity. Whilst I'll watch it,am I being a bit of a grouch? I'd much prefer quarterly 'specials' by the S@N team. Comments anyone?

Attempting to appeal to the masses I'm afraid but totally agree.

It would be good if a portion of the programme were to be a little more "techie" but although we pay the licence fee, we don't have control over what it's spent on or who spends it on what. :sad:

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cheers for the support,Nuclear Dwarf! Whilst I'm in full on 'rant mode',I have to say that I thought that last year's series spent far too much time on cosmology (a bit like a mini series of 'Horizon'),rather than STARGAZING (the clue is in the title!). I'm sure that viewers, 'newbies' especially,would be more interested in learning about what they could see at this time of year-be it with the naked eye,binos,or a small telescope,rather than the facts of stellar evolution and 'black holes'. Is it just me,or is everyone else fed up to the back teeth with telly progs on Black holes? I agree that info on 'gear' would be of great help to beginners- steering them in the right direction,and avoiding wasting money on  over-rated 'toy telescopes'.This last point is especially relevant,I feel.as many viewers may find their astro-appetites whetted by the show (and NO complaints about that!),and they will want to delve deeper into the subject.

Cheers for the support,Nuclear Dwarf! Whilst I'm in full on 'rant mode',I have to say that I thought that last year's series spent far too much time on cosmology (a bit like a mini series of 'Horizon'),rather than STARGAZING (the clue is in the title!). I'm sure that viewers, 'newbies' especially,would be more interested in learning about what they could see at this time of year-be it with the naked eye,binos,or a small telescope,rather than the facts of stellar evolution and 'black holes'. Is it just me,or is everyone else fed up to the back teeth with telly progs on Black holes? I agree that info on 'gear' would be of great help to beginners- steering them in the right direction,and avoiding wasting money on  over-rated 'toy telescopes'.This last point is especially relevant,I feel.as many viewers may find their astro-appetites whetted by the show (and NO complaints about that!),and they will want to delve deeper into the subject.

I would suggest that the potential of the programme is being wasted.  Describing what is in the sky, how to find it and what equipment is worthwhile would assist in new purchases and may well lead to prolonging interest in astronomy.

As a relative newcomer to this hobby and having taken delivery of our dobsonian 200p today (yes today, woohoo!!!) I'm actually glad SGL don't go into too much technobabble. Me and the missus need to learn the fundamental basics before launching into the science behind it all.

Well done BBC!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Alas it is my daughter's bed time and I promised that we will watch todays episode when I get back from work tomorrow. So I will be watching this week a day late each time. So for us it is more like Stargazing 22 hours afterwards ;)

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk

Just come upstairs after watching Stargazing live. Very good first one of the new season. I was very impressed with the live footage from Tromso in Norway showing the Aurora Borealis as my wife and I are going on an aurora cruise in a few weeks up the Norwegian coast and deep into the Arctic circle. Just hope we are lucky and manage to see it.

Just come upstairs after watching Stargazing live. Very good first one of the new season. I was very impressed with the live footage from Tromso in Norway showing the Aurora Borealis as my wife and I are going on an aurora cruise in a few weeks up the Norwegian coast and deep into the Arctic circle. Just hope we are lucky and manage to see it.

Snap!  We're going on 22 Feb  :grin:

Isn't it lovely when everything goes to plan!

I must say, I did enjoy it.

Not a great fan of any of the presenters, but they were hugely fortunate with the fabulous Aurora footage and what a heist to get Dr Carolyn Porco on!

There are some things, that when they work, the BBC do very well. You won't find the like any where else.

Cheers

Anyone else see Chris Lintott look a bit surprised when he was introduced as being from the Sky at Night whilst Lucie wasn't? Most likely because she is a solar researcher primarily but anyway I'm sure there was nothing in that.. but it did cross my mind for some reason.

Great show it was!

liked it. I WANT ONE OF DARA'S GLOBE WOTSITS"  how cool was that !   and that image of earth with Saturn was fantastic.

my only slight criticism is it feels a bit rushed at times , trying to get so much in to the programme ,but I suppose  its  to keep the masses interested.

all in all though very good . well done beeb

liked it. I WANT ONE OF DARA'S GLOBE WOTSITS"  how cool was that !   and that image of earth with Saturn was fantastic.

my only slight criticism is it feels a bit rushed at times , trying to get so much in to the programme ,but I suppose  its  to keep the masses interested.

all in all though very good . well done beeb

Very much get that feel, it seems everyone is desperate all the time to say something, so much that the answers to questions don't get finished and get cut off. But for me it shows enthusiasm for the subject which is great. :grin:

I thought this was better than last year's. I was trying to work out why and then I suddenly realised there were no "celebrities". Who on earth managed to persuade the BEEB that we don't need court jesters to dumb down the programme? Well done who ever that was. Plus there were some seriously interesting astronomical discussion going on.

Archived