Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Newcomers Feedback

I think that there may be a glitch in the album software - post up your query in the Suggestion/bugs section and someone cleverer than me (or me if your unlucky) will help you out. Post a link to your images if possible when you post.

cheers Ant

In the short time I've been at it the forum has been fantastic and I honestly can't think of anything else the management/admins could do. The structure is perfect so I've known where to post questions and where to look for info and the community is welcoming and friendly. So the only feedback I've got is keep it as it is :)

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

The information on this site is invaluable, its great how everyone gets involved and answers questions for us newbies, ive had my old scope for years but have rekindled my interest along with my wife, she bought a new scope which is somewhat of a huge upgrade and we are loving it.  many thanks to everyone for making our interest better by the information passed on,  clear skies all.     Pete

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Having just joined a few days ago I have been overwhelmed by the helpful responses to my posts. I have already ordered my first scope and accessories and saved a lot of time and money by following the advice provided by the members here. 

At this moment in time I cannot think of any way to improve the site.

10/10 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Rich_B said:

Having just joined a few days ago I have been overwhelmed by the helpful responses to my posts. I have already ordered my first scope and accessories and saved a lot of time and money by following the advice provided by the members here. 

At this moment in time I cannot think of any way to improve the site.

10/10 

Another innocent victim of the astro-virus! :happy6:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Another innocent victim of the astro-virus! :happy6:

He has already been assimilated into the collective. Resistance is futile :evil:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎28‎/‎12‎/‎2007 at 10:46, daz said:

This is directed to all newcomers to Astronomy, with the aim of generally improving the 'service' that SGL gives you.

The Management Team are always looking to improve things on the forum i.e. make it easier for you to find information and make decisions. We see a huge range of questions being asked and hopefully, you get the help and advice you were looking for, and we thought it about time to find out your views on this process.

So, quite simply, what else could we do for you? How can we make it easier for you to get to the information you need? Or do you just have some general feedback?

We really do want to know, however, if you don't want to post your comments here, you can PM me (or any other Admin/Mod) directly.

Many thanks :rolleyes:

My only request with regard to answering newbies is this. Those that know what they're talking about tend to use acronyms. This is sometimes confusing if we are not familiar with the terms.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Thruxi said:

My only request with regard to answering newbies is this. Those that know what they're talking about tend to use acronyms. This is sometimes confusing if we are not familiar with the terms.

I do agree that those answering newbies should be careful when using any sorts of jargon and acronyms; it does not take a lot of time to include a brief note or explain the acronyms even if they seem obvious to the poster... There is also a responsibility on the newcomer part to search for the acronym and jargon used by the community. It is only fair that some efforts should be made when learning a new craft.

The Sticky post here explains most of the acronyms but the list can never be exhaustive as new acronym are bound to appear overtime...

Edited by Vox45

• 3 months later...

I have found the boards remarkably helpful. It's enabled me to take the plunge and order some better eyepieces for my telescope, as well as choosing a filter to help with seeing things in my light polluted garden, as well as suggestions to help once I plucked up the courage to ask. Search function works well, very few broken links. Very pleased overall.

• Like 1

I have not been on this forum for long; joined this year.

The help received and resources of older posts has helped me a lot.
Friendly helpful advice, a general banter and a very warm welcome all make SGL a good place to be involved with.

As far as I am concerened, if it aint broke, dont fix it.

A few more stickies perhaps for repeating questions, but realise that is a big ask by the volume of similar threads that start up.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

All the members love to help and that makes me love SGL. Considering members have given some really good advices on observing the night sky and on selection and use of equipments, I think it will be worth having a FAQ section to summarise the frequently asked questions. Just a suggestion :)

Thank you for allowing me to be part of your amazing forum. I've only been a member for a few days now after receiving my first ever telescope for Christmas from Mrs Daz, but the warm greetings, help and advice just in these few days has been brilliant and to be truthful, not as I expected.

I'm a member of quite a few forums due to my "quite a few" hobbies, but this so far is the best forum. 

Keep up the good work! :)

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

I got my telescope a couple of weeks before Christmas and before shopping asked for advice on SGL.  As a result I got the cracking telescope in my signature.  Since then I have read plenty of threads and looked at other beginners' enquiries (many of which have also helped me) and compared this to that received myself and I honestly cannot fault the recommendations received before I bought my telescope or the support received since from all those people who contribute to this community.  In addition I would like to say how 'slick' I find the whole experience of posting onto SGL - the mechanics of the forum are first class and the experience here far surpasses other forums I have used - I esp. like the way you can view a posting made whilst typing a reply without losing all the text you have already typed, and the notifications 'bell'.  Well done everyone and thank-you. 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Have been on here less than a week and have already had a couple of questions answered in language that I understand. Great group of people so willing to share knowledge and wisdom. I look forward to a long and enjoyable time as an amateur astronomer.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Been a member for for a few years now, although when i first joined i was surprised about how much info is here. I must of hit the search button a million times! The tutorials and help this site has given me with my equipment is invaluable. Sgl is the first and last place i go to with any questions. Its also nice just to browse the amazing images you lot take. Massive thanks to the founders, but more importantly a massive thanks to all the posters that cram this site with all the information a noob needs!

Best astro forum..... ever  [/comicbookguy]

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

SGL was suggested to me several years ago by a member I was working with at the time (and described then as very friendly bunch). I've only really started visiting recently but like to thank everybody for the warm & friendly welcome and help I've received. Credit should go the organisers, admins, users and FLO for creating/supporting such a useful and helpful community. The patience shown to me as a user with little more than an old Tasco 4.5" newt bought from Argos 15 years ago has been greatly appreciated. The advice given to similar newbies with similar questions is courteous and helpful (especially given they may have just spent considerable sums on the 'wrong' or inappropriate gear).

The forum format and mechanics are very good, navigation is easy and the various categories are well thought out. The only snag I've encountered with the forum is when I've been logged out automatically while typing a post/reply or changing sections - I now click the 'remember me' tick box and this seems to fix it.

Since re-connecting with SGL, the feedback I've received has re-booted my enthusiasm for astro for which I thank you all - it could easily have gone the other way.

John.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

Hi mikeyggg. 

I agree setting up an Astro scope can make you nervous. Especially in a dark site alone. 

I have some good places to go not far from where I live but going out at night with expensive equipment especially makes me feel jittery if not paranoid. 

It's why quickly stowable scopes apart from convenience have an equal appeal to aperture. Inexpensive looking unattractive Dobsonians are also less likely to be nicked than shiny white refractors if you have to leave in a hurry.  

Going anywhere in a car have a dash cam and rear view cam running while observing. 

Safe watching!

• 3 months later...

In my short time as a member I can only echo their posts in this thread and say it is a wonderful forum. Very friendly, the more experienced are extremely helpful which means you are not afraid to ask any question at all. I have gathered so much advise in such a short time on here, and it's been fun. I now have my first scope but due to good advice I have not lashed out £100's on something that just wasn't right for me. No I have saved a lot of those £100s to save up more and eventually probably will blow it on something, but it will be something that is right for me at the right time.

Also a very easy site to navigate for us older less computer savy.

Looking forward to clear skies now because they aint been any since I brought my scope home - far from it :icon_scratch:  :hmh:

Thank-You Stargazers :thumbsup:

Steve

• Like 1

You're right Steve - this is a great adventure, and SGL is a wonderful forum for sharing experience, helping, and learning.  Just loosen the purse-strings, and you're off!

As for the sky, you just get used to grabbing whatever gaps appear in the clouds!

Doug.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Hiya

I've only been on the site for a few months but have found it very helpfull and from the questions i have asked so far in the fourm i've always got a response which has helped me on my way. You are doing a great job on the site keep up the good work.

• Like 2