Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Newcomers Feedback

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This realy is the best forum i have ever been in and i am a member of alot.friendly helpfull people no question is to stupid to ask you dont get the feeling they are laughing behind your back or turning there nnose up at you because youu are new just great advice and info.keep up the great work admin youu guys rock :)

• 2 weeks later...

Would it be possible for newcomers to buy from the classified's without having to make a certain number of posts. I agree that selling should be restricted but as newbie looking to add to my equipment it would be good to see what members were offering.

The site and it's members are great to newcomers and in the few posts I have made I have had only helpfull friendly advice.

Les

I am in favour or keeping the restrictions for newbies in the classifieds. One of the benefits to all of us when buying or selling is the reputation of the parties concerned and having the restrictions at least mean that there is a degree of creditability built up before either side can enter into a transaction. It is just as important for sellers to know they have someone reliable buying as it is to have a buyer know the seller is reliable. By having a minimum post restriction on both sides it means that a history is built giving both sides confidence.

I realise that I am a relative newbie here myself but I have had some experience of running forums myself and often the trouble makers are weaned out within a few posts so it is a good thing that there is a restriction on the early days of membership IMO.

I do agree... this forum is very welcoming to new members. I probably wouldn't have started at all if it wasn't for the help of members here. Buying and selling requires a degree of trust on both sides when doing it on a forum and the restrictions helps build up that trust.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Another SGL lover here, such a helpful community. I can see the reasons behind restricting classifieds to committed members but when i clicked on that section it stated i need 250 posts to submit something for sale. Is this only for selling or am i able to purchase now i've passed the magic half century?

Another SGL lover here, such a helpful community. I can see the reasons behind restricting classifieds to committed members but when i clicked on that section it stated i need 250 posts to submit something for sale. Is this only for selling or am i able to purchase now i've passed the magic half century?

If you can see the ads in the classifieds then there's nothing stopping you buying...  :)

• Like 1

First off, I think this is a great forum and source of material. Everyone has been super-friendly and the South Wales group have taken me under their collective wing (until they meet me, when they will probably throw me in the Usk!)  :D

As feedback, could we have a sticky on useful books to consult? There are many good recommendations but nothing codified, as such. Something on the background to astronomy, both the practical science and the theory, would be extremely helpful. Apologies if this is already there and I have missed it!  :confused5:

The minimum of 50 posts to access the classifieds was done to discourage traders buying up all the good stuff and then reselling it at a profit on a certain internet auction site.

I was looking for this 'elusive' sections as I want to buy a used telescope but when I found out that you had to have 50 posts before you could view it, I felt a little downhearted as it meant that I had to be more patient when it came to buying my telescope. But I do agree with this rule completely as it is in place for our benefit and it has also led me to do more research as to what equipment is best for me rather than buying something on the whim and later regretting it.

The forum itself is perfect! Everything is laid out in well defined sections which makes it easy find the topics/subjects that appeal to you and I have found many pinned posts very useful. But ultimately, the forum is what it is due to the members and contributors who give up their time to share their knowledge with others :icon_salut:

• 4 weeks later...

Well this is my first week with the forum. Very friendly and advice/opinion galore. My only issue is the thing is huge. Mi keep getting lost and struggle to keep up or re-find things. (I'm going to make a fine stargazer he aren't I? Lol).

That's not a criticism by the way, merely an observation. It might also be down to me and the way I use said forum.

I guess the best thing for me is to suck it and see. I do miss the edit function though and often cringe at any little typo after I post. Quicker I get to 250 posts the better.

If it doesn't exist, I'd like so see something like a scope finder for new people which asks a series of relevant questions to determine the best scope or setup for your needs depending on the answer. I know people can help out with this, but I mean like an automatic application sort of thing.

Loads to learn and see - so little time. :-)

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Big thanks for everything here. All the way through thinking about maybe buying a scope, to building my first telescope, knowing what to expect, from the technical to the human, this has been my reference site for the last six months. Really great to find such a community!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

been on the forum for around a week now as a none member and finally signed up today,

all i can say is this site is fantastic for all the help and support, I haven't seen anything at all negative up to yet and thats really appealing as a new comer.

the only thing I'm struggling with is the black and white back ground from the laptop sending my eyes funny but thats just me. 

Darren.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I have been here for about 3 weeks and it is now the place I go on my tablet and phone all the time. Its a great site I have received advice on many topics and so far have met some great folks willing to encourage those of us with little knowledge and ability to advance in this hobby ranging from just basic equipment to the expensive world of astrography. Unfortunately the later is my desire as it would then combine my 2 loves as far as interests are concerned. I attach a photo taken with a £40 scope and a nikon Slr mounted on a camera tripod which I used a a T adapter to conect it directly this was one of my first forays into lunar photography and wont be my last as I have now splashed out on a more expensive 200mm newtonian and a Equatorial Mount for £300.

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah, SGL had some issues with people editing posts and changing the content to just a single full stop. Which I'm sure you'll agree causes a few issues with the threads becoming unreadable.

When you get to 50 posts you can edit posts, but only for a short period of time (think it might be half an hour...).

Cheers

Ant

More like 15 minutes, I think. But there's a way to avoid a problem with typo's and other human blunders: Write your post out on Notepad (or similar) and then proof-read it and alter it to your liking. THEN copy & paste the final product as your post.

That's something I should consider doing as well!

Part-time goof,

Dave

see below

Edited by Dave In Vermont

the only thing I'm struggling with is the black and white back ground from the laptop sending my eyes funny but thats just me. 

Darren.

Hi Darren,

I have the same problem as you as my vision doesn't cope well with a black background and white text.

In the very bottom left of the page you will find a link named "Change Theme". Click on that and select "IP.Board" and the whole site will transform into a white background with black text :wink:

Derek

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

In my very short time on this forum so far it's been awesome, all you have to do to get advice is just ask , There is always someone able to help in some way.. A very helpful forum indeed..

And lots of friendly people too...

Glad to be a part of it...

Regards Badgerjc....

+1 I can't believe the quick responses on this site. :headbang:

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Well I've only been here a few days, but so far I'm finding it very useful, incredibly quick responses and a lot of very useful topics, to top it off, it's a friendly place, no arguments or mocking other people

The only forums I use normally are car forums (full on petrol head here lol) and they're just full of people shouting abuse at each other, so it's nice to be on one that's really laid back and polite :)

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

I'm another who has only been here for a short while but has been amazed by the other members here. Firstly, incredibly friendly and absolutely top advice no matter how silly or stupid the poster may feel by asking the question. This has been a massive plus for me as I've been around long enough and been a member of so many different 'hobby' pastimes, that when met with condescending or just rude opinions normally make that particular hobby or pastime not worth pursuing. 

The advice here is second to none. The best Ive received in numerous other forums. Really is quite refreshing to be here and wish that other forums that Ive been part of took a leaf out of the way that members help each other here instead of just trolling.

So thanks SGL for making this place somewhere to enjoy and while away the hours together with gaining some knowledge until the cloud decides to let us play!!

Dan

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Hi ive just joined the lounge...the people r very freindly and i carnt wait and very excited to learn and find out alot more in this feild...

a big thank you to all them who have made me verey welcome....thanks agin

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Howdy. 

I have uploaded some images, unfortunately I uploaded them twice, I  can't seem to delete the unwanted images. I have tried deleting in editing but doesn't seem to work. 

Help please  ☺