Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M101

johnrt

This data has been sitting on my desktop for a couple of months irritating me, and as the run of terrible weather continues I couldn't resist *another* re-process. The Met Office incidentally predicts the cloudy wet summers could go on for as long as another 10 years!!!

I made good use of the new Pixinsight TGVDenoise process on the luminance channel, the rest was standard processing with a very selective high pass filter in CS5 to finish off.

Here's hoping the weather improves and I don't have to re-proces this again!!

Altair 6"RC & Atik 314l+, processed in Pixinsight and CS5.

Thanks for looking :)

9099403031_cab5521f80_c.jpg

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Incredible image and processing, I was always led to believe that an F9 scope is too slow for DSO imaging, evidently that is not true given the superb image that you have created, perhaps there is hope for my very unexciting sw 127 mak.

Regards,

A.G

Thank you everyone for looking and all the great comments, to answer a couple of questions.....

@lensman57 - I don't use this scope at it's native focal length and f/9 ratio, it is indeed woefully slow for deep sky imaging. I use an Astro Physics x0.67 reducer which speeds the OTA up to a useable f/6 and brings the focal length down to 900mm, give or take the odd mm or two here and there. I really would not recommend this scope without reducer for deep sky work, especially in this country with it's weather!!

@ultranova - there is 12 hours of exposure time 7.5 hours luminance and 4.5 RGB. All shot in 5 minute subs.

I should say when I said irritated I meant that I new there were better results to be had from this data than my previous 3 or 4 processes had managed, it was sitting on my desktop taunting me "have another go, dooooo it!!! You may as well it's going to be cloudy for ever!!!"

Thanks all for looking once again!!

The background looks spot on to me and just to agree with th comments above - a stunning image.

I find a lot of galaxy images have colours that are overdone; it seems to be the fashion to have electric blues and bright magentas and IMO they often look over processed... But somehow in this image you've managed very vibrant colours without making it look forced and unnatural. it's just fantastic...

Thanks all for the further great comments!

Interesting comments on the background, I purposely leave the background in my images quite light, I do not believe the space around DSO's is or should be jet black, more of a brownish grey to it. Maybe I have over done it here, but personally I don't think so.

The background does look a little brighter than on other sites I have viewed this image on, maybe because it's set against the jet black forum theme and this just highlights the background more?

Archived