Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Another one bites the dust.

spaceboy

Well I guess some of you had gathered my heart wasn't in it anymore when I put my Nags up for sale. I was hoping imaging might renew my interest but so far this doesn't seem to be panning out the way I had hoped. So I have finally decided to hang up the obsy keys for the last time. After six years of getting in observing as and when I could I finally get the opportunity to get some nights to myself and some observational mileage under my belt, all I have seen the past 13 months is cloud, light pollution and now I have to deal with the neighbors combi boiler spewing out hot air in front of my southern views. Fighting a loosing battle I no longer see the point in loosing a nights kip over it. I have been humbled by everyones help and advice while on SGL and I thank you all.

Merry Christmas

Nick

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sad to read this, respect your decision. Interests and attitudes change throughout our lives. You have gained enjoyment, knowledge and experience in astronomy. I hope you find something else to fill the gap. i suspect that whatever it is, it will not impact your sleep levels to the same extent :-)

Ian

Sorry to hear that. It is sad to lose the feeling of joy that was found in a once-treasured hobby. But you'll be back eventually I think. The stars will still be up there waiting.

Keep a pair of bins and a little frac on a light tripod? Just for the nights you feel sentimental...

Anyway, all the best for your future endevours.

Hi Nick, really sorry to hear this :icon_salut: I understand and respect your decision. I hope a break from the frustrations of our hobby will give you your evenings back. May be one day you will be able to return.

Merry Christmas,

Justin

Nick, sorry to see you reach this decision, you had got of to a flying start with imaging, i hope this is just a temporary decision, but one only you can make.

I wish you and your family all the very best for the festive times, and hope to see you on the this forum from time to time

regards mate

I can only echo what the others have said Nick. Very sorry that you have got to this point but I also respect your decision of course.

I've been through a few low / inactive patches in the hobby over the years but somehow always found my way back - never really lost the interest just sometimes things conspired to make it difficult to be a practitioner for a while.

Whatever the future holds, good luck and it's been a pleasure having your company on the forum :icon_salut:

I am sad about this too. I hope you remain a member of the forum as you are an asset to it and perhaps this will eventually lead you back mate.

Keep your chin up and enjoy whatever you do next and more time with 'the best wife in the world'. :):) (you know what I mean!).

I, of course, think that I have the best wife in the world :icon_salut:

I echo the above. I just want to emphasise that you never know how things will pan out in the future: About 10 or 15 years ago I made the same decision as you, but circumstances changed, I altered my observing expectations (I no longer expect to observe from home), and have happily got back into the swing of things. Hope everything goes well for you.

Ahh.

Sorry to hear this. The weather this year has been awful. The combi boiler is a stinker. Neighbour at my parents had one, so understand the frustrations.

DO hope you'll continue to swing by here as often as you can.

All the VERY best for the future,

Andy.

You do realise im expecting to see the thread

"finally on the 120mm equinox"..........as an idea sell the gear of, get a 120 ED and eq5 and find a dark site, your not far from redditch and that area is full of good area`s like stables and such, just a thought

Sorry to read this Nick, as others have said, keep a grab and go at least. You never know what's around the corner, you might inherit a castle in the highlands with an obsy in the grounds!

All the very best mate and happy crimbo, Pug

Sorry to disappoint you young feller, but you can never retire from astronomy. It's impossible.

Every time you venture out under stars, when they eventually do reappear in our skies, and they will, you'll yearn for that equipment you are on the verge of relinquishing.

Sure you are on a downer, and if you were finding things hard money wise, and let's face it, many people are these days, then I could well understand what you intend.

Don't do it simply because you are fed up at this time. That kind of depression never lasts.

Keep talking to your friends on SGL for a while, say 10 years, and if you are still undecided, don't quit :icon_salut::):).

Ron.

Sorry to disappoint you young feller, but you can never retire from astronomy. It's impossible.

Every time you venture out under stars, when they eventually do reappear in our skies, and they will, you'll yearn for that equipment you are on the verge of relinquishing.

Sure you are on a downer, and if you were finding things hard money wise, and let's face it, many people are these days, then I could well understand what you intend.

Don't do it simply because you are fed up at this time. That kind of depression never lasts.

Keep talking to your friends on SGL for a while, say 10 years, and if you are still undecided, don't quit :icon_salut::):).

Ron.

So true are these words..

Once an astronomer you are forever stuck with it in one form or another, it does seem to be a permanent scratch.

I ate an awful lot of kitkats but the inevitable happened and I got another scope.

It has done wonders for my neck ache.

Still, I empathise with you on the problems faced with LP and stuff and hope you enjoy your rest.

I am another one who hopes to keep seeing around on the forum.

Best Wishes

Thank you all for the support and kind words. This time of the year is always hard for me as the pressures of Xmas and ever demanding boys wanting the latest toys from Santa means that I often doubt the luxury of having expensive astronomy equipment. Last year wasn't so bad as I'd managed to sell a lot of stuff and had a float in the piggy bank but this year as much as I loved the Nags, having a small fortune sat gathering dust after 8 months of cloud left me with a dilemma. At least with imaging the camera could be used for other stuff but with ever mounting costs of guide scopes, guide cams etc, etc would have left me in the same boat I was trying to bail from. Last nights break in the cloud made me realize that astronomy isn't cheap and trying to do it on the cheap is futile. That and the _____ neighbors boiler. They are the sort of ___holes who have their windows open and the boiler on full. I almost ended up in a law suit last month attempting to divert the steamy fog from entering my observatory hatch. Thankfully they didn't die of carbon monoxide poisoning and the boiler didn't explode but things could have been so different. My dark site is great but it's costs too much to visit regularly so my dob is sat gathering dust. The council taking the micky insisting to make a fool of me regards the the dam st light flood lighting my garden has all had me questioning what is the point. Maybe I should just stand back from astronomy for a bit and see how I feel but not having a regular income I cannot afford to have equipment gathering dust.

I will be sure to acquaint the lounge in the future and hopefully I may feel differently when the pressures of "the season to be jolly" :icon_salut: is over with.

Thanks again and Merry Christmas!

Spaceboy,

I have a feeling that you will regret 'giving up' astronomy. There is a 'short sharp shock' of financial outlay at the beginning, but provided you look after your gear, all you really need is a good Dobsonian and a few eyepieces to keep you sorted for an entire lifetime.

Keep it simple.

In my experience, I get two ABSOLUTELY amazing observation sessions a year - the rest are affected by; light pollution, neighbours, clouds, exhaustion, work and dewing. On average this year, I get out about three times a month.

But those two observation sessions carry me through and makes it all worth it.

You could have some amazing sessions simply by making time to go out - even twice a year! Take some bedding, food, mobile phone, flasks of hot drinks and make it a night out by slipping the car seat back and flattening it out, if you have to travel far. Some of our American friends will travel up to two hours an evening in their attempt to seek dark skies.

Ask yourself the question; If that combi boiler stopped spewing steam, if the neighbours kept their lights off, if the street lights were turned off, or you had the opportunity to move to darker skies, would you still chuck it all in?

If the answer is yes, then perhaps you are ready to throw in the towel.

Like others I'm sorry to hear you're calling it quits. Whilst I live in a town, and have limited visibility due to light pollution, my neighbors on all sides are decent folk and co-operative when it comes to clear nights (they go out of their way to keep curtains closed etc), so I'm fortunate not to have the battles some of you guys seem to have.

I have differing views on demands kids impose at this time of year.... lets just say my lot won't see me selling any of my kit just to but then the latest XBOX / PS3 or whatever....

Sorry to hear you are selling up, but at least (hopefully) you won't be leaving the forum

Archived