NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Another one bites the dust.

spaceboy

Well I'm very sad indeed to hear about this but glad you are keeping some gear. Are you keeping the frac (C100ED)? If so this is a great decision.

I understand your fustration with the hobby. Thats why when I have a quick peep outside and the sky is good I have fracs which I can just pick up and place outside within a minute and I'm good to go. If it wasn't like this I wouldn't be doing it! The last time I observed was around 2 months ago when it was brilliant but that was an exceptional night so I know what you mean.

What are we going to do now about the never ending 'FINALLY ON THE TV FIRM' thread!!!

I hope you stick around mate!!!!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What are we going to do now about the never ending 'FINALLY ON THE TV FIRM' thread!!!

:) Those days are long gone mate. More like back on the 6YO TAL plossl firm again :p

At least you did the sensible thing in the first place and buy used kit so you don't lose money in selling. :(

I wish Bish!! Never the patient one most of my kit was purchased new. I have lost a good few pennies on the NAGs that probably seen the light of stars maybe 10 times and my scopes flocked with protostar isn't going to help keep the loses down. "Got to take the good with the bad" my old boss used to always say...... right before he went bust. Such is life!

At least the TAL plossls will have half a chance in the F/9 frak.

It's not just me that just can't wait for kit then? I had you as the ultimate stealth bargain hunter, biding your time for the best deals. At least you got a baragain on your 5mm BGO:D

I guess if you work out the sums it would be like renting them for £10 or so per night of usage (no idea what the hit was on them, so my guess may be way out!) - still cheaper than renting camera kit. I get the feeling there's going to be a thread in the future 'finally on the 16" dob firm'.

LOL a 16" dob is out of the question Bish. I racked my brain trying to deal with aperture hunger and the reality of it was I just wouldn't use such a big dob. I have a flight of stairs to deal with observing from home and a tape measure showed my observatory would resemble more a case to keep such a big dob in. I'm still on the fence regards imaging, clinging onto the hope that unguided imaging will give something worth hanging on the wall. Attempts at getting a cheap imaging setup didn't get off to a good start and after the hit I took on the nags I don't plan on buying new again so I will have to make do with the scope, mount and unmodified DSLR.

The 5mm BGO got a look in on Jupiter the other night. I don't know if it's just me but how good has Jupiter been this year. I swear it was like looking at a stacked webcam image the detail was so good. Thank god for Jupiter though hey. UP YOURS LP!!!

LOL a 16" dob is out of the question Bish. I racked my brain trying to deal with aperture hunger and the reality of it was I just wouldn't use such a big dob. I have a flight of stairs to deal with observing from home and a tape measure showed my observatory would resemble more a case to keep such a big dob in. I'm still on the fence regards imaging, clinging onto the hope that unguided imaging will give something worth hanging on the wall. Attempts at getting a cheap imaging setup didn't get off to a good start and after the hit I took on the nags I don't plan on buying new again so I will have to make do with the scope, mount and unmodified DSLR.

The 5mm BGO got a look in on Jupiter the other night. I don't know if it's just me but how good has Jupiter been this year. I swear it was like looking at a stacked webcam image the detail was so good. Thank god for Jupiter though hey. UP YOURS LP!!!

You've a good mount, frac and DSLR so with practise and some trial and error no doubt you will soon be churning out those astrophotos. I think you are right about jupiter being good this year. yeah, two fingers to the LP - especially when Saturn rolls around again!

I have also had some good to excellent views of Jupiter this year. Sadly cloud has blocked me for over a month.

Same here. Clouds, clouds, clouds, with the occasional gap and a frantic rush to get kit outside, only to see new clouds rushing in. Big bins are ideal in that case.

My trusty ST80 on its alt-az is my new secret weapon. It doesn't help that my mak's RDF is bust yet again. I got a replacement RDF on the weekend and it was bust too. RDF = Really Dodgy Finder.

well spaceboy you sure have a lot of good pals on this forum and sounds like you just need a break. I love fishing but have not been for ages but thats a good thing its allways there if i want to go back to it and a break is often a good way to take stock of what we have achieved. When christmas has gone we can all chill out again and be normal :beer:

Sent from my GT-S5670 using Tapatalk

well spaceboy you sure have a lot of good pals on this forum and sounds like you just need a break.

I agree. I have been very humbled by the support from other members. I guess the city dwellers have all had to face the same challenges and can relate to the difficulties my enthusiasm is facing at present. It's not so much that I want to chuck in the towel it's more so the frustration of expensive equipment laying idle for several months of the year while there are bills to be paid. I wouldn't mind but even when there are stars in the sky I'd still end up with mediocre views due to a pee shooter 10" dob, LP, boiler flue's or a high level haze/smog. But despite all my grumbling and moaning the support I have been given by other members just reminds me what it's all about and how I can't help but think what I'd be missing if I let all my kit go. I doubt my interests in observing are what they once were as looking through a 16" dob has made me realize just how pointless it is trying to pick out faint and fuzzes with anything less. My camera and newts will have to do the DSO hunting from now and I'll have to stick to planets and brighter DSO's with a longer focal length frak. With less kit gathering dust hopefully I won't feel so bad sending the wife out to work :)

well i went out this evening first clear night for weeks and just sat there leaning on the wall staring at the stars. Sometimes thats enough saw a shooting star whizz pass jupiter too. Have a break it will do you good :)

Sent from my GT-S5670 using Tapatalk

In my log book I underline the highlights to remind me of the good bits when I get down. Perhaps astronomers are prone to depression (as well as manic spending sprees)... :-\

Manic spending sprees I wonder......:)..yes that is me... 2 Naglers later :(:eek::p

Archived