Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Another one bites the dust.

spaceboy

Nick, find out what equestrian centres are located at Romsley, its close to you and very rural, you would find a stable that would be willing to let you use the land for astronomy, i have delivered to that area and its full of horse stables, i bet its less than 15 minute drive from you, just an idea me ol mate.

My house is near hopeless, with high building in one direction plus high tree`s other, i now have to set up on front path just to snap the moon, but i found a dark site (stables)

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sad to see you go, I can understand your frustration as when I am back in the UK staying with my partner and all I can see are boiler outlets, street lamps etc it is easy to lose the faith so to speak. Try to hold onto some of your gear and if after a while you think the same way then sell it on.

I understand the financial aspect, and I certainly would never be able to justify the cost of a nagler. But I don't agree that astronomy has to be expensive. I think forums are to blame - all the talk of exotic setups goes to my head! A simple mak on a light goto will at least show the solar system effectively and be resilient to poor seeing. OK cool down is an issue, but not a killer in my experience.

Nick

Sorry to read about all your astro troubles. I hope you can continue with astrnomy somehow and stay with us.

Regarding the combi boiler, you describe as if the steamy fumes (known as "pluming" in official language) are causing a nuisance by blowing directly into your obsy. If that is the case then you can contact Gas Safe who will have a record of who installed it and can insist that the flue outlet is altered.

Good luck

Karen

I agree with Ags: an 8" Dob and some Plossls are all you really need. The Naglers are nice, but they aren't necessary. The high-end stuff is expensive and creates an upgrade-path mentality, whereas in reality a small cheap Dob can provide a lifetime of observing pleasure. It's not just a "starter scope" it can be the only scope you ever need to buy.

Nick,

I can fully understand the frustrations and the annoyances that are there, that get in the way of what should be a really relaxing pastime. It really sucks when the simple things cannot get done easily and the fixing of the problems is out of your hands. It sucks, and it's incredibly frustrating to know that there is this thing that you enjoy but that there is stuff conspiring against you enjoying that thing as you used to. I really do understand, and I do feel your frustrations.

I've been in similar situations with hobbies in the past (for various reasons including some health fun and games), and I gave up on astronomy towards the end of secondary school into college. I got back into it though after 15 years off..

I would suggest though that you keep a small compact grab'n'go setup, like an 80mm short focus refractor or 130mm Dob with two or three cheapie eyepieces that won't take up much capital or much space in the cupboard, that you can take out whenever there's something big going on like the next really bright comet or the like. If you have something cheap and useful, you can scratch that itch easily enough if it reappears. I now wish I had kept something portable to use through those years.

Personally I found that though I was out of astronomy at that time, I was still paying attention, though I now wish that I had spent more time looking at comets hale-bopp and hyukatake, I didn't have any scope at all at that stage. I missed the 1999 Leonids as well, though I did spot a few flashes behind the clouds..

Do keep up the contacts you've made through here, and keep a look in here every so often - you'll probably feel less bad about it if you do keep up the personal side of things.

Sorry to read of your troubles Nick, but do appreciate this is a decision you have not come to lightly, but do not burn all of your bridges my friend, there may come a time when circumstances change and you can renew your interest, until then the best of luck and may the force be with you.

Merry Christmas to you and yours :icon_salut:

John.

Sorry to hear about this. But you can alsways come back to astronomy if you feel the urge later on down the road, I'm sure the stars won't hold it against you.

All the best for Christmas and the new year anyhow.

Sorry to hear about the problems you have been having Nick try to keep a pair of bins and maybe a grab an go I'm sure there will be a time when you look up at the night sky and feel like doing a bit of viewing and wish you hadn't sold everything what ever you decide to do I wish you all the best and hope to see you back on SGL in the not to distant future you are a great asset to this forum and will be a sad loss:sad:

Robbie

Everything said has been taken on board and I have decided to keep one of my scopes just in case. My others are for sale but I will continue to get what observing in I can while I still have them to see if I can over come the frustrations. The talk of astro gear becoming expensive in the near future due to the troubles in China has obviously been on my mind as there is no doubt I enjoy astronomy but recent struggles with aperture hunger, boilers, st lighting and cash flow has had my head spinning and doubting if astronomy really is for me. I think I will take some members advice and just take a break. Maybe someone will shoot out the nuisance st lights and the neighbors may find a bird flew into their flu pipe and damaged the boiler beyond repair ????

Thanks again to everyone for your support. I doubt I could ever step away from astronomy even if I do give up my scopes so SGL hasn't got rid of me yet :)

Everything said has been taken on board and I have decided to keep one of my scopes just in case. My others are for sale but I will continue to get what observing in I can while I still have them to see if I can over come the frustrations.

AWESOME!!!! :(

I am seriously delighted for you. You will NOT regret it. Just remember, it doesn't sit there, rust and fall apart like a car does, so you could not bother observing for five years and your telescope won't deteriorate if you store it indoors and cover it up.

Don't do this to us again!! :)

Glad you still see some light at the end of the tunnel, and it's not the headlight of the oncoming train :).

I have had some frustrating times, and the weather outlook now is not great for the next week (dark time down the drain, most likely). You sometimes do wonder why you go through the trouble and expense. I then usually peruse my logbooks to remind me of all the great things I have been able to see.

Keeping a pair of bins handy has allowed me to make use of brief observing sessions, just to keep my hand in when the weather is uncooperative. Likewise, the little 80mm APO can be set up so quickly that even a short break in the clouds can be used. Keep a scope you can set up quickly, and that travels well.

Clear skies!

Michael

Remember that selling off most of your gear doesn't mean that you have given up on astronomy. I spent many years with no kit at all despite a life long interest. The light pollution is a real nightmare, but a good dark site visit just a few times a year seems to keep me going. I spent Saturday at a dark site and was full of enthusiasm again. I wont make it there for another few months, but in the mean time there's always the ocassional look at the moon, planets and clusters. It's not an all or nothing decision so keep hold of a scope and an eye on the forum but take a breather for bit too.

Nice one Nick, i started this hobby about 12 years back, after frustations with the weather, and the ex missus and working away from home my scope fell into dis use, the mount all but rotted, but i came back, i have very poor views and street lights that will end up with a direct hit from an air dried boilie, launched from my fishing catty, but when i find some thing new, or get a good view of an object that i like, its all worth it, last night i was trying to split the trapezium with my tal100, just glimpsed the E star for a moment, a joy to do!

Keep at it lad, find a dark site near you, or go for lunar and planets, if you got rid of all the equipment you would find your self looking up at the night sky and wishing you had one still!

You have already proved you can do good lunar image`s with your dslr, try going for in crater detail, or planet imaging

best regards mate

Really sorry to hear that you feel this way Nick :(

I really enjoyed our chats at PSP2011 and was looking forward to seeing you there next year :)

I hope you manage to sort the demons in your head and see you about on the forum in the future.

I have long accepted that I live under mag 4.5 skies (at best) and local light pollution make observing a challenge. I try and get as many trips to the national parks as possible to get my DSO fix.

Archived