Cold Nights but which clothing do you prefer

Hi All,

Just a random question realy, is there any prefered clothing for use when stargazing that is lightweight, warm and practical?

Also gloves - fingerless or thumbless or full gloves.

And hats dont forget hats.

Not realy interested in brand names just for the sake of brand names but if one does satnd out better that the rest then lets know about it.

Kev.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thin layers works for me too. Thermal long johns and top, sweatshirt, thermal socks, TSBs, snow boots, fleece, deputy dog hat and light wool gloves. That little lot keeps me nice and snug all through winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree with all the above - plus protect your toes! Good warm boots with thick socks and a pair of thin ones underneath are good. If there's room use a thermal insole. And on frosty ground it helps to put some old carpet off cuts round the scope. Your toes will be eternally gratefull to you :)

I heartily recommend Rohan Bags. They are trousers that are like wearing a snug duvet round your legs. Extremely hard wearing (I've had one pair for 20 years and boy have they taken some wear and they are still going strong!), light weight, comfortable, have loads of pockets and are made of fabric that dries extremely quickly if they get wet.

Unfortunately they aren't cheap (£90 I think) but they are amazing.

Socks also very important since the cold comes up through my toes!

Agree with all the above - plus protect your toes! Good warm boots with thick socks and a pair of thin ones underneath are good. If there's room use a thermal insole. And on frosty ground it helps to put some old carpet off cuts round the scope. Your toes will be eternally gratefull to you :)

carpets round the scope is what i do all the time as dropping filters and eps costs a packet as i found out with a 2" filter

I don't like wearing gloves, just keep my hands in my pockets as long as possible when observing or alternate them at least.

hats make a massive difference too.

I often wear jeans and then tracksuit bottoms over the top

good boots and thick socks, scarf too.

I use a piece of foam sheet on the ground when really cold. this makes a difference as I observe on flags (when there's no snow of course).

A pair of snow boarding or ski pants are really warm though not the quietest trousers on the planet and for head gear, there's only one choice, stargazers own beanie - aliens won't abduct you if you've got one of these!

James

I use my fishing thermal trousers and jacket and thermal boots they keep me nice and toasty on those cold winter nights. A set can be bought for around 50 quid and you will be able to stay out for hours.

Sent from my GT-S5670 using Tapatalk

Risking permanent expulsion from SGL, I would offer that most nights I wear sandals, shorts and T-shirt. For a few nights in mid-winter, I wear Wranglers (a brand of denims), a sweatshirt, and a night watch cap - I think SGL sells one that they call a beanie.

When I lived in a colder clime (North Carolina, where it could occasionally reach -10 F) I wore thermals, wool slacks, Beaufort jacket with liner, and watch cap with gloves and glove liners. Later I discovered that skiing kit was very warm.

Still, sandals, shorts, T-shirt and warm smile see me through most nights. (is there a running-away-fast-and-seeking-shelter smiley?)

:)

Risking permanent expulsion from SGL, I would offer that most nights I wear sandals, shorts and T-shirt. For a few nights in mid-winter, I wear Wranglers (a brand of denims), a sweatshirt, and a night watch cap - I think SGL sells one that they call a beanie.

you're barred.:)

was starting to feel cold reading this thread then rabbithutch warmed me up :)

like most of the posts its plenty of thin layers, decent socks and boots and my trusty fleece, which I bought several years ago, just can't let it go..it was £80.00 when I bought it, half price in the sales!

Layers is key. The issue with me is touching the scope in really cold weather since it burns. In order to handle the optics, I find that I take off my gloves and this always leads to frostbite. I have walked indoors many times when stargazing in the winter in tears because of the frostbite!

Isabelle

Swedish army M90 cold weather parka and thermal trousers - so warm I managed to doze for an hour outside at -7c while imaging and woke up warm and comfortable.

Cheap too Buy your Swedish Army M90 Parka with hood, Värmejacka M90, Military Parka from Surplus and Adventure secure online Army and Navy store

For the fingers....

Outdoor Designs Layeron glove liner, get them snug fitting, they'll stop clear skies chilling your hand, but they're thin enough to keep on at all times.

£8 from Cotswold outdoor. I have 2 pairs, one has a small hole in the index finger tip to allow me to use my netbook touch pad without exposing my hands!

Cheers

PEterW

Looking forward to the cold nights so I can wear my beloved Kangaroo Poo Hat again. My hair is even thinner than last year, so it's even more necessary!

astro_hat.jpg

Thermal leggings, too.

Archived