Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Star Hopping - How to find anything from SGL6

mdstuart

I have prepared some guidelines for those new to the hobby describing how to find objects in the sky using star hoping.

They describe how to find a galaxy NGC 2903 in Leo but also include techniques designed to find fainter objects.

The notes come from my own experience of finding galaxies over the last few years.

I hope they help.

Regards

Mark Stuart

Star hoping.pdf

• Like 16
  • Thanks 5

Many thanks Mark, I've made this a sticky.

I really enjoyed the session you did at SGL6, and hopefully this guide will inspire many other people to go hunting for themsleves!

Helen

• Like 1

some very useful information in there, thanks.

I would also add, know the field of view of your widest angle "finder" eyepiece, as some times it's easier to hop using that eyepiece instead of the finder

I always have fun and games trying to remember how my finder and scope flip, reverse and invert images...with mental gymnastics required to determine if i'm seeing the right stars, just the wrong way round!

Edited by WayBig
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Wonderful. Thanks. Save me posting a newbie question. I was trying and failing to star hop last night but could not get my head round up/down east/west in Turn Left At Orion. Trying to navigate while looking throught the eyepiece is confusing me. My sense of direction depends which way I stand to it.

Will try again armed with your article.