Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

patrick moore from a beginners perspective

russburslem

I know what you mean but he 'owns' the program. I don't even feel it should continue as the sky at night after he feels it's time to quit; they should come up with a new program name in my view.

Proper legend. I recently read his autobiography which can be had for pennies off Amazon etc. it really makes you see him in a whole new light.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember sir patrick appearing with his glockenspiel (or whatever it was) on various kids programme as a nipper, and i was fascinated with him them, and I am still fascinated with him now.

I think S@N should include chris, pete and brian but with Sir Patrick still at the helm, and make it one hour long so as to be a little more detailed in some areas.

I totally agree Mr Moo. not that I have any influence but I feel there should be a new 'more hip' program along the lines of Stargazing Live (but with more 'stargazing live') and called something else.

I for one was definitely not suggesting that no replacement came about.

Sir Patrick Moore is legend, and a giant of a personality.

I would say he's well aware he cannot carry the programme alone anymore, and that's why he has Chris. L, Pete. Lawrence, Paul Abel, and all the experts he needs, pertaining to the particular subject matter of a programme. Patrick embodies the Sky at Night, and has done from day one. He should have a presence on the prog. for as long as he is able, he's more than earned that right.

Whilst Brian Cox through the recent programme has certainly given a boost to Astronomy, let us remember, Sir Patrick lit the fuse all those years ago, and that's not bad for an Amateur, the beacon most other amateurs have found so inspirational for so long.

It will be a very sad occasion, when the time comes he steps down.

A replacement will be found, and I for one won't envy that persons task, following in the footsteps of a giant of a man in many ways.

Ron.

....... but I feel there should be a new 'more hip' program along the lines of Stargazing Live..........

I can't understand why Astronomy has to be "hip" and dumbed down for the current generation. That IMO was what was wrong with "Stargazing Live"

S@N has inspired generations of people to become scientists, astronomers and astronauts and there is no reason why it should not continue to do so.

"Horizon" is a good example of a hipped up dumbed down programme which was ruined (it does now seem to be improving again, I suspect they listened to the criticism for once!)

I can't understand why Astronomy has to be "hip" and dumbed down for the current generation. That IMO was what was wrong with "Stargazing Live"

S@N has inspired generations of people to become scientists, astronomers and astronauts and there is no reason why it should not continue to do so.

Sometimes I get to thinking that this is because we as a society appear to have created a celebrity-addicted generation (or two) that is, in the main, hooked on immediate gratification, has the attention span of a goldfish and, as my dad often used to put it, "knows the price of everything and the value of nothing".

But, on the other hand, perhaps this has always been the case and the communications revolution has just made it easier and more obvious.

Of course the most likely possibility is that I'm just getting very cynical in my old age :)

James

I can't understand why Astronomy has to be "hip" and dumbed down for the current generation.

I agree most TV programs for young people are dumbed down, in your face and down right silly as a result (I saw a snip of the modern Blue Peter the other day, Lord knows what John Noakes and Shep would have made of the presenters of today!)

Astronomy me can be appreciated by many people at a number of different levels eg aesthetic, intellectual etc. To make it hip would be demeaning.

As for Sir Patrick, I feel he still has a valuable contribution to make to the S@N.

Why do people assume that as people get older they automatically become less valuable?

I am still writing scientific papers with my old Prof, he is now in his 80's and producing some of his best work.

hey we cant get rid of the gamesmaster!! and also where else are the bbc gonna film the S@N?? there cant be that many presenters(inculding coxy) that have a massive scope and obsy in the back garden! i agree the S@N is sir patricks domain,so lets have a whole NEW program!!

I suppose, slowly but surely, Joe/Jill Public, voted with their feet:

BBC NEWS | Entertainment | TV and Radio | Tomorrow's World axed after 38 years

Gone are the days of 10-million TV audiences... for anything? :glasses1:

If fairness though, there is immense competition from: "The Internet" and "Computers" - the (oxymoronic!) "social networking" etc. Also Kids are restricted in their independent activities and <ahem> extra-familial relationships. Lest anyone worry, I speak merely of the archetypal "Old boy in shed", who was into "weird stuff" with *us* kids - Like fixing TVs, Amateur Radio SWL etc. :p

If I might be critical of some "celebrity" scientist's online activities, so much seems to be about... "faith bashing", their "fringe politics", their forthcoming "gigs" etc. Fair enough, but I already have an infinite supply of such opinion, at a button push on my TV remote! With the "public ear", and such credibility, it seems a real opportunity to talk about science - Even Astronomy? :)

i can see this thread running for a while !

but for me it`s Sir Patrick all the way, and i used to watch him on the show when i was a kid and it never put me off not having a younger chap on the show, although i do like the imaging sections of the show which are done by another master we all know of.

long may he continue !

It doesn't have to be hip and dumbed down. We all know the inspiration PM has given to us.

But what inspiration do you think the average 18-25 year old gets when they watch PM on S@N for the first time?

Stargazing Live was supposed to introduce newcomers to the hobby and I think it was pitched about right with that in mind. I astronomy is more off putting to people starting out than we realize.

I bought my niece a telescope for Xmas, an easy to use alt/az refractor, I went over it all with her Dad (who is a very intelligent bloke) but still had to go back a couple of weeks later because he "couldn't get it to work". It made me realize how steep the learning curve can be in astronomy.

I find it hard to understand PM, but let's face it, the man is getting on a bit. Most people of his age aren't presenting TV programmes or anything like it.

Long may Sky at Night continue and I think the other presenters do an excellent job. I really enjoyed the programme on Orion which was up to the usual standard.

Stargazing Live was also good in its own way. We were clouded out totally for each night it was on but that is the British weather for you, Mind you, I've only had two decent nights observing since the end of November.

I also listen to several very good podcasts which help keep me up to date, something which would not have been possible before the Internet so there is plenty of good stuff out there in different formats.

Sky at Night is still the benchmark however.

Geoff

Patrick has always said he would give up presenting when the programme was not up to scratch. He has wisely passed on much of the presenting to others such as Chris and Pete but remains as the perfect master of ceremonies.

This sums it up nicely for me. Long may he preside.

Hopefully Farthings will become an astronomy centre aimed at encouraging all levels of age and experience when nature takes it's inevitable course and Sir Patrick goes back to the stars from which we all come.

I know if I was wealthy, I'd finance it for sure.

I've been watching The Sky at Night for a fair while, much longer than i've had a scope and it will be a sorry day the day SPM retires. I do find it quite hard at times to follow what he says (i think it's the dentures )but , tbh, thats part of it's appeal. It kind of feels like he's an old friend, I wouldn't have him any other way. He is THE MAN for the job.

I do hope they don't hip it up and as much as I like Brian Cox I do hope he doesn't get the job. I'd much prefer Chris Lintot, he's very likeable in a nerdy way ( sorry Chris if you're reading this).. not in a pow pow nice hair teeth and smiles media superstar way like BC.

And yes to a statue, good idea!

I think the problem may be what he says rather than how he says it. To someone new, who may not know the topic or termanology well (as they are new to astronomy), it could sound unclear. And, he is there to cover all aspects of astronomy, not just intoduction to the subject. I have heared PM in a public event which was pitched at a basic level for the planets - everyone, I would guess, understood the message he gave.

Prof Brian Cox is also a great presenter. His programmes tend to be pitched at the widest audience with an introduction and information feel. Can't fault his style - he comes across clear and interesting (as does PM, although half the time I am not up to speed on the subject)

Both suit the role the have. Brian Cox is excellent as a teacher (as he is a professor) and Patrick is excellent in discussing the subject he is 'professional' in, amateur astronomy.

Both great, more of them on TV I say. :glasses1:

Archived