Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

patrick moore from a beginners perspective

russburslem

I can't understand why Astronomy has to be "hip" and dumbed down for the current generation. That IMO was what was wrong with "Stargazing Live"

S@N has inspired generations of people to become scientists, astronomers and astronauts and there is no reason why it should not continue to do so.

"Horizon" is a good example of a hipped up dumbed down programme which was ruined (it does now seem to be improving again, I suspect they listened to the criticism for once!)

who said anything about being dumbed down?

personally I love the 'crusty' nature of S&N and the slightly eccentric way in which it is presented. the proof of a 'more hip' (I repeat NOT dumbed down) programme being more attractive to the mainstream is in the reaction of the public to Stargazing Live.

unusual interests always have a core fanatical following (like us) and to become more attractive to the mainstream surely a programme has to become more mainstream (I quote Wiki "Hip is a slang term meaning fashionably current and in the know. Hip is the opposite of square or prude.").

nothing and no-one will replace Patrick Moore but if we get more people into astronomy there's a chance we might get ever so slightly darker skies which is good for everyone?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My own view is that Sir Patrick should stay until he drops dead makeing an episode. The man is a legend and he is involved less now and passes over the main topics to the now 4 man cast.

I realise that a lot of new comers to the show will find him hard to understand but it is a small price to pay if you realise you will be able to say in a few years time, "I watched the programme when Sir Patrick Moore presented it.

I would still want him on the show if he was unable to speak and just waved at the camera at the beginning.

who said anything about being dumbed down?

In my experience and observation of TV these days it always seems to happen.

Most TV output is mindless drivel.

I mentioned Horizon earlier. It always used to be flagship science TV ....then the MTV generation with their media studies degrees came along and thought they could hip it up and improve it with frankly annoying direction and camera work and "celebrity" presenters. They ruined it!

S@N is not broken and it doesn't need fixing.

If young prospective astronomers are put off by Patrick and cannot appreciate what a giant he is and has been in the field for so many decades then the fault is with them, not him.

As an aside I agree that Chris Lintott does a good job, is a very knowledeable chap, a good presenter and does it without the celebrity baggage.

When Patrick decides to spend more time with his cats Chris gets my vote FWIW. :glasses1:

My own view is that Sir Patrick should stay until he drops dead makeing an episode.

I would still want him on the show if he was unable to speak and just waved at the camera at the beginning.

I totally agree :glasses1:

The Fact that so many have taken the time to comment of their affection and respect for Patrick Moore speaks volumes.

He, after all has inspired a substantial number of people into this Science over the years.

He has led the way in science programs all these years, and is still as passionate today as he was all those years ago in show 1 let alone show 700

His only fault is that he is not immortal and at some time will inevitably have to stand down, I for 1 would like to officially thank him, for being there all these years, inspiring and educating.

He and Carl Sagan are the 2 names I associate with astronomy, and are the reason I have studied it and Physics all these years. However, the weakening state of British education means we have to continually Dumb down programs such as these to appeal to the masses. Stargazing live was a good start, but a little more science and a little less OOOOHHHHH!!!! and AAAHHHHH!! effect, I think would make it much better

at the risk of sounding unscientific, I think Astronomy should be enjoyable and (shock horror) fun too.

I also enjoy reading and doing a little science but mainly I do it for fun. otherwise, as I see it, there's no point in doing anything that we don't get paid for.

I for 1 would like to officially thank him, for being there all these years, inspiring and educating.

Here here

but a little more science and a little less OOOOHHHHH!!!! and AAAHHHHH!! effect, I think would make it much better

Couldn't agree more

I was first inspired by Sir Patrick Moore, and by a book I was given when aged 6/7. I also started to study physics & maths, but couldn't continue. I would love to start that again.

In my experience and observation of TV these days it always seems to happen.

Most TV output is mindless drivel.

I mentioned Horizon earlier. It always used to be flagship science TV ....then the MTV generation with their media studies degrees came along and thought they could hip it up and improve it with frankly annoying direction and camera work and "celebrity" presenters. They ruined it!

S@N is not broken and it doesn't need fixing.

If young prospective astronomers are put off by Patrick and cannot appreciate what a giant he is and has been in the field for so many decades then the fault is with them, not him.

As an aside I agree that Chris Lintott does a good job, is a very knowledeable chap, a good presenter and does it without the celebrity baggage.

When Patrick decides to spend more time with his cats Chris gets my vote FWIW. :)

I don't get what you mean by dumbed down? Surely the point of science tv shows is to be accessible to the widest audience available? Astronomy or should we say Stargazing is available for everyone and I don't think it should be put across as "elitist" because "x" person isn't 100% savvy with how black holes are formed etc.

As to celebrities,dumbing down programs, maybe you are right, Sir Patrick himself played a large floating head on a kids computer gaming TV show, totally ruined it for me! :p

I really have tried to watch "The Sky at Night" but the program is over to quickly and I always feel that I just need another fifteen minutes ;) but for it to last this long has to be a testament to the fans and Sir P's persistence and determination.

Can I understand him...not a word :glasses1:

Patrick Moore and Heather Cooper (remember her?) are who got me into astronomy when I was a kid (and a good physics teacher at school). so much so I ended up doing my degree in astrophysics.

And through the uni I managed to have lunch with him once. Smashing bloke.

I don't know if I dream't this but I recall a program that stated that NASA used Sir Patricks observations and documentation of the moon to determine appropiate landing sites for their moon landers.

I hope I got that right, imagine knowing that your research contributed to one of the most significant events of the 20th Century.

I don't know if I dream't this but I recall a program that stated that NASA used Sir Patricks observations and documentation of the moon to determine appropiate landing sites for their moon landers.

I hope I got that right, imagine knowing that your research contributed to one of the most significant events of the 20th Century.

This is very true and Sir Patrick will tell you too.:glasses1:

They do say 'if it's not broke don't fit it'.

hi gra and welcome to sgl i too am from the same hymn book as you it must have somethin to do with being from liverpool were are you talkin from me im from roby village what do you think of the site i think its very useful i have a skywatcher 130 with a 5" lens which is not bad but will get bigger the longer i dabble clear skies hopefully tonight with a full moon can"t wait jimmythemoonlight:icon_salut:

• 2 weeks later...

I credit Sir P. for single-handledly getting me into Astronomy 40 years ago. He's a legend.

With him being 88 years young I'll take the time and trouble to listen carefuly to his words.

He was being interviewed on Radio 4 this morning about next weeks 700th show. If you can't find the podcast, the key points were:

> He'll only stop when he 'makes a bad show' or the BBC tell him to

> His proudest contribution was the fact the Russian's used his moon maps on their missions

> He's only missed presenting 1 show in all that time.

Awesome.

Long Live Sir P!

Archived