Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Astrofest purchases?

AWR

Confessional time!

Did you go, and if so did you splash the cash?

I succumbed to the lure of 20% off TV eyepieces and bought a 35mm Panoptic - my first item of green and black. I should get great views of the clouds with it (if the wind stops).

Andrew

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A red head light and Patricks new book - duly signed by both Brian May and Patrick :)

Pity those that queued for Coxy!! I bet his hand was falling off by the time he finished!

You'll be able to read it under the bed covers tonight then;)

Steve

Got a couple of Radians, 20% off. There are some rumours ( on a well known

US forum ) that they are being discontinued. So I asked Sandra Nagler if she

could comment, she smiled and said "new stuff is coming out all the time."

But several Radian focal lengths were not available, and one of my purchases,

an 8mm, was the last they had on the stall. Time will tell !

Yes I know, Green Witch were doing a 3 for the price of 2 Radians last year.....

Regards, Ed.

Massively disappointed this year with the sheer lack of bargains and reluctance of the dealers to do any sort of deal. One stand refused to lower the Hyperion by a single £1. They weren't there to strike deals apparently! And the prices on SCS and Widescreen were eye poppingly high in some cases.

But looking around the shiny new kit was great, and that was after all what is was mainly about.

I was also quite disapointed also, perhaps attending 3 years running has made me too familiar.

Very good lecture on Near Earth Objects by Alan Fitzsimmons (if the conference counts as a purchase!).

I did by an Orion Centreing eyepiece adaptor and a Farstar binocular & rdf mount, so got out of there with change from £100 - which is excellent for me.

Astronomia had a very nice wooden observing chair, adjustable seat on one side (tilt and lift) and steps on the back £250 though ;-( if it were £150 I would be very tempted.

Cheers,

Karl.

Just returned home from a very enjoyable Astrofest. I thought the 20% deals on Televue at Widescreen Centre was very good - 21mm Ethos from £679 to £543??.

I was able to chat to David Nagler about my collection of TV eyepieces and what I should and should not bother to change/buy in the future- you can't do better than this!

Mark

As ever, I went both days - Friday to look round and buy and Saturday to meet up with friends.

Nothing really took my fancy that was both affordable and a practical proposition - it was a close run thing but the Paramount looked to heavy for me to take on the tube. However, I managed to find some books to interest me and then made the sad mistake of going over to Foyles and buying some more. :)

Off topic but I just wanted to say how interesting I found Session 4 of the Conference. I'm more drawn to the physics of the Universe than observing and imaging it, so the "How Astronomers Are Mapping Our Galaxy" and "Recreating The Early Universe" were right up my street. The final part of the session was Allan Chapman's lecture on Sir Arthur Eddington - both Allan's talk and what I learned about Sir Arthur made me feel very humble.

Mike

I ended up buying a Bahtinov mask as I'd been meaning to make one for a while but I just didn't get round to buying the card and didn't fancy doing the cutting. So seeing them on sale saved me a job and they were tidier than what I would have made :)

As an Astrofest first timer I spent a couple of interesting hours looking around the exibition, and picked up lots a back editions of Astronomy Now for next to nothing... It was amazing to see some of the mindblowing scopes on show. There was some serious kit there with some serious price tags! However, I'm still very happy with my little skyhawk and my new Celestron Eye pieces, I feel very much the budding amateur... If I was to be totally honest I was surprised there weren't more bit's and pieces on show.

Gotta say this though - as like on this forum; the people involved in this hobby all seem to be be really friendly and helpful... I must give the Royal Observatory girls a special mention... We took up their invitation and spent all day Saturday enjoying their facility, and took the opportunity to spend time in Greenwich icluding a visit to the wonderful Greenwich Market which I can recommend for some interesting hot food :)

A bargain is only a bargain if you know the full price of the item before any discount. Even if an EP was reduced by half to say £300...........it would still be too rich for me and i would walk away.

I'd most likely buy a few magazines,cups of coffee and a slice of carrot cake.

Its nice to "window" shop though.

Haha even with 20% off all TV EP's............................i still would still not part with that much cash.

Its not that i wouldnt have the cash..........................

I'M JUST CHEAP.

I really would like to plan to be in England next year and go to Astrofest 2012.

Flights are cheap(ish) and i could stay with family in Sussex/Surrey for the weekend and get the train up.

We have nothing here in Ireland.

Archived