NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Which Scope Did Memebrs Of SGL Start Out With

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I came here and did a lot of reading before I bought my 10" skywatcher dob, in the end there were several good choices as pointed out by the experienced people on this forum and I just figured I'd go with the aperture. If I were starting out today I would buy the same thing, after all, its the only telescope I've ever looked through so why would I change my mind:D

Prinz 550 (60mm f15) refractor. I was probably about 15 at the time. My dad bought it from Dixons on 'weekly'. Lol, it cost a lot of money...

Only had it two years, I sold it for £27.50 to pay for driving lessons.

prinz 500r newt, 84mm d 750 f from about 1971 when i was 8. still have it, sits in my bedroom and gets used occasionally throught the window just before i go to bed.

when i came back to astronomy was a skywatcher 150 on an eq 3-2 which had been modified with a meade autostar goto system. mount gets used occasionally, ota gets used a bit more when someone wants me to take a scope to their house etc to see "the stars" usually it ends up on an AZ3 of all things and actually works pretty well like that

A wobbly supermarket-type refractor on a really shaky mount. The chromatic aberation was shockingly bad - I can still clearly remember the purple fringes around Alpha Centauri and Jupiter, 25 years later. That telescope gave me the biggest wow feeling I have ever had from a telescope.

I've got a NexStar 4SE now. I went for it over an unpowered dob because I wanted to share the views with family members and I wanted a stable tracking mount (after my experiences of the little refractor!).

I'd buy a similar telescope if I had to do it all again, I just wish I had the money for a larger aperture SCT!

I started out with the Meade 114mm Newtonian on an EQ3-2 manual mount.

Found many DSO's with that scope and I knew that if I could manage with that then the Explorer 300P on an NEQ6 goto mount that I evetually upgraded to would be a breeze.

If I was starting again I'd go for Newtonian everytime on a Dobsonian mount but if I had the feeling I'd like to try imaging I'd go for an EQ mount.

'Twas a home made - 1969-70 - (including the mirror) 6" f/8 Newtonian on an equatorial mount made of iron water pipes - the threads acting as bearings. It was optically pretty good and the mount worked really well, considering how crude it all appeared! I still have the H N Irving focussing mount and the two (Ramsden, I think) eyepieces and a Charles Frank 2x Barlow - none of which will fit any "modern" scopes!

My first scope was a 60mm refractor bought with my first pay cheque in 1965. Shortly after (1969) I bought a S/H 6" Newt and put it on a Charles Frank eq mount.

I never bought another scope until 1999 when I got a Celestron 5" goto SCT. Really enjoyed that scope and my knowledge of the night sky improved 100%. Looking back I am glad that I bought this scope.

Mark

Olly made a great point the choice and the quality of telescopes today at a really cheap price is incredible, anyone know what was the price of a 3" refractor or 6" reflector 20-30 years ago Thanks

my first two birding scopes were 60mm refractors which were really quite good optically but not great for visual on the sky with focal lengths of about 300-400mm.

my first astro scope was a Skywatcher 130PM but I was a little unimpressed with the build quality and too the seller up on the offer of a refund if not happy (the very next day). I never even really looked through it.

After this I bought my actual first proper Astro scope, a Celestron 120mm OMNI XLT refractor as it was for sale at an excellent price. This was a stunning scope and performed well but after this I bought a large dob and it blew me away. So, as large a dob as you can handle would be what I'd buy if starting now - probably a 12-16" in my case.

Firts started with a 4.5 reflector back when Moses was a lad. Restarted a couple of years ago with a Skywatcher 130PM.

Know what I know now, and of course with equipment being available no that wasn't when I restarted I'd probably buy one of the following;

CPC 800 (maybe)

12" Dob with GoTo (would have to feel the weight)

Some unspecified long focal length refractor.

I'd do it slighgtly differently because I'd weight the factors slightly differently but GoTo and tracking would stay as a requirement.

My first telescope was a 2 drawer plastic "Dan Dare" model which I "won" in some silly advert competition in the "Eagle". It was of the Galilean design and about 30mm aperture and magnified about 2x. I never tried it astronomically but I'm sure it was what spurred my interest in telescopes.

Prinz 60mm Refractor with primitive zoom eyepiece back in 1970 (from Dixons too). Saw the rings of Saturn, craters on the moon Jovian moons, loved it and wish I still had it for nostalgia purposes. I then built a 6" f8 newtonian including grinding the mirror. Back in 1975-6 there was no way I could have afforded ready built 6"newt, how times have changed, great kit available now at good prices.

I jumped straight in with out checking the depth first... To start i ordered a Heritage 130p as it was cheap, and then changed my mind about an hour after ordering. I thought i may quickly out grow it. I finally ended up with a 200p on and EQ5. about 4/6weeks later bought a second had HEQ5. Depending on budget, I think I would still buy the 200p but i think i would have got the HEQ5 straight away.

I didnt know anything about telescopes when I bought mine, and really should have done some research first.

Keiran

My very very 1st scope was a Swift 20x25 pocket scope back in the early 60s, then I got a paper round and upgraded to a 50mm. Yes 50mm Tasco with table top tripod. Thats scope although poor optically showed me the moon and planets and hooked me.

What would I have now if starting over? Not an easy one but I reckon I would eventually end up with what I have as its taken years to get my gear just the way I want it.

Philj

My first scope was a 50mm refractor and a copy of the spotters guide to the night sky which i received as a present when i was about 10 (31 years ago!) I could only really use it for the moon but my imagination convinced me i could see more

Archived