Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Which Scope Did Memebrs Of SGL Start Out With

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My first scope was a Dixons 60mm 15-60x refractor on an alt-az tripod bought for me back in 1970. Damn fine little scope, Japanese made and optically very good. I wish I still had that scope.

My second scope was a Dixon's 60mm scope, the Prinz Astral 500. I was really chuffed with both the Tasco and Prinz.

I started back in '83 with a 3" long FL refractor. I'm not sure of the brand as I bought it second hand from a guy in Frinton and I do not recall any names or model numbers on it.

It had a giant wooden tripod and a basic Alt/Az mount - but I remember spotting Venus / Saturn for the first time - brilliant.

Ant

I started out with a 60mm Tasco refractor as a 12 year old.

Despite the derision this name normally instils, I saw much more with this scope than I could ever see with my naked eye, or in binoculars.

It took me until well into my 20's before I could afford a proper scope.

Then I could just about afford a 90mm Vixen refractor on an Alt-Taz mount.

This was just before Halley's comet re-appeared.

There's far too much choice today. But hey, that's a good thing.

My first scope was when I was about 9, and I built it myself using a 2 inch lens my dad got for me and cardboard tube....saw Saturns rings with it though :)

In the '80's, through until 2002, I had a Charles Frank 6 inch newt.

In 2002 I got a Helios ST120, massively rekindled my interest, and the next scope, in 2006, was a Meade LX200GPS 14 inch....that was the first driven scope I had, and what a luxury that was!!

I pointed it at m82 the first night out, and nearly fell over :eek:

Cheers

Rob

First scope was the sky watcher 130p and the eq2 mount a lovely little telescope for starting off with but quickly wanted something bigger so took it back and replaced it with the sky watcher explorer 200p and eq5 mount which a love to bits.

If I was starting from the beginning and knowing what I know now, I would have gone for the sky watcher 200p and the EQ5 mount a moon filter and a big wide field of view eye piece to go with the supplyed eye pieces. I would have still avoided a go to system and just got the RA drive controller fitted.

If I didnt want to get into imaging like I do know I would have gone for a 12 inch Dob but think Im going to get one later on as well.:eek:

My first scope was when I was about 9, and I built it myself using a 2 inch lens my dad got for me and cardboard tube....saw Saturns rings with it though :)

In the '80's, through until 2002, I had a Charles Frank 6 inch newt.

In 2002 I got a Helios ST120, massively rekindled my interest, and the next scope, in 2006, was a Meade LX200GPS 14 inch....that was the first driven scope I had, and what a luxury that was!!

I pointed it at m82 the first night out, and nearly fell over :eek:

Cheers

Rob

Snap Rob. After a few gap years I got back into Astro in 2000 with a Helios ST120. Mine was the gloss black version, very svelt:D. Tons of CA but it could pull in dsos nicely, I wished I could have kept that scope but you need to make room for others at some time.

Philj

You got your first scope the same year i did Ant :eek:

And from what i remember, we had more or less the same scopes later......the BC&F 10" on MkIII and Meade LX10 :)

How uncanny, yep my second scope was a 10" BCF 10" on a mains driven MKIII. I managed to snap the mount on that and the insurance company replaced it with a shiny new 10" LX10.

Those were the days.... :p

Mid-60's: 30x30 refractor of Far-East(?) origin. More interestingly, my Uncle then

GAVE me a rather attractive 15x40 Brass, 3-draw, "spyglass" by Dollond. :eek:

First "modern" scope - My ST102. But given the total spend on experimentation,

in retrospect, I should have simply bought e.g. a Celestron C8 on a GoTo mount? :)

For the last 14years I have been using a 4in Tasco reflector on and off. The EQ mount is a bit wobbly and trying astrophotography was a nightmare because of the wobble.

Can't complain as my first use showed me the rings of Saturn and I could not believe it!!

I started out with a 60mm Tasco refractor as a 12 year old.

Despite the derision this name normally instils, I saw much more with this scope than I could ever see with my naked eye, or in binoculars.

It took me until well into my 20's before I could afford a proper scope.

Then I could just about afford a 90mm Vixen refractor on an Alt-Taz mount.

This was just before Halley's comet re-appeared.

There's far too much choice today. But hey, that's a good thing.

Almost the same start, a Tasco 4.5 inch reflector, I was thinking earlier that it was around 20 years ago but have been rudely reminded that it was nearer 30! it was the closest thing to a "real" telescope that I could afford. It was also the first telescope that allowed me to see M42 and Saturns rings, neither sight has been forgotten. It was instrumental in keeping me interested in astronomy and although I've moved on a bit the scope is still giving good service to a friend who I gave it to just a few months ago.

The first scope I used much was a 70mm F/10 achromat at school, after which I built a 6"F/8 Newtonian on an alt/az mount. Had a great deal of fun with that. I still suggest 6" Newtonians (F/8 if you can handle the length, brilliant on planets!) as excellent starter scopes, but given how prices have come down, I would not advise people to build one (better still, get an 8").

I started out with a very cheap 50mm Tasco toy telescope on a plastic mount. It showed reasonabe(ish) views of the Moon but not much else.

That gave way to a somewhat better quality 60mm department store refractor. Still not much to write home about, but at least it came with a decent tripod. It showed me my first view of Jupiter and it's moons and started a life-long interest in astronomy.

When I came back to the hobby 6 or 7 years ago, I bought a Skywatcher Evostar 90mm. Now that was a good scope and seriously rekindled the interest. In fact, if I were starting again now, I’d probably buy another (or similar, long FL achro) because despite owning a number of “Better” scopes, I still had some of my best views through that one.

I'm just about to buy a SkyWatcher Skyliner 6" dobsonian, a pair of binos (8x56 octans bak4), and a barlow from GSO (2" 2x). I'm also buying a Cheschire from GSO to collimate my dob *-*

OMG I'm REALLY excited!!! *-* OMG!

=)

I started out with a cheap Tasco type 60mm when I was about 9. I rapidly moved onto a 10" Odyssey Compact from the now departed Coulter Optical in the US (when it was nearly £3 to the dollar it was cheap). The scope was rubbish - the cardboard tube was OK as I knew I was getting it but the mirror wasn't up to much .... None the less I got to see a lot.

The first "real"'scope after that was a Celestron 10"'Newt on a CG5-GT.

If I was starting again I think I'd have gone straight for a goto or at least motorised mount and reflector in the region of 8".

James

Hi,

I can't remember being without a pair of Binos. My first scope was an

Opticron 100mm spotting scope,it was no slouch on the Moon or Jupiter,I

still have it for digiscoping.

I then bought an ETX 125 but we did not get on. Sold that and bought an

Equinox 120 ED. I now have 3 refractors and various mounts.

mijijim

Archived