Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Which Scope Did Memebrs Of SGL Start Out With

My first scope was a cheap tasco (?) ~40mm long refractor, bought by my parents when I was a kid. My first 'proper' scope was a C8 SCT (8se). I also now have a Meade 5000 ED80 APO.

I think if I was starting again I may have gone for a longer focal length, bigger aperture refractor, since I now seem to spend more time on photography than visual.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Gordyb

I started with the Celestron 8" Starhopper Dobsonian (£100 from ebay ) , bargain :p The best scope to buy is the one that will get used the most ! Big scopes are great , if you can move them :D

If I was starting again something like the Skywatcher Mak 127 Goto looks a good deal :)

my 1st scope was a helios 114 short tube on a wobbly eq2 that i did not get on with so optical view changed it for a startravel 80 which i really liked, then i treated myself to an orion 150mm long reflector that i did not get on with! went back to a refractor, my evostar that i still use, this was about 12 years back,

knowing what i know now, i would have an evo or star travel as a 1st scope

The first scope I used was a 6", equatorially mounted, cheapo reflector, that I borrowed off a friend. Shortly afterwards I bought (so the first I owned) a Celestron 6SE - lovely scope. Since then, I've been through a C8, couple of refractors, and now have a 12" Dob.

My SW150p is my 1st scope as I started late in life :)

I've added Goto and a few extra ep's but that's all

If I started again I would go for an 8 or 10" Dob with Wixey and manual setting circles as I feel that would be ideal for my needs.

My first scope was a 50mm refractor and a copy of the spotters guide to the night sky which i received as a present when i was about 10 (31 years ago!) I could only really use it for the moon but my imagination convinced me i could see more

Same here, 50mm refractor. I just hope it wasn't the same one oldfruit! Mine wasn't 50mm & it wasn't achromatic- still amazed it didn't put me off for life.I guess there's a lot to be said for the

power of enthusiasm?

...If i was staring out again,bearing in mind i'm visual:

either a 4" refractor or 6" reflector, you can get "lost" in space with too big a first scope IMHO.

My first was a Britex Fetherlite 20X35 (rebranded Hilkinson Ranger) made in one of the many small optical factories that survived in outer London until they were wiped out by the Japanese invasion. Nobody young could possibly afford proper astro gear in those days.

I poked it out of the (boarding) school window and just managed to see Saturn's ring bulge when the planet was at maximum tilt in 1958. Then I was caught and caned for fooling about after lights out. Thesedays I manage to observe without being assaulted - Hugh

In 1961 I saved my paper round money and bought a 50mm Charles Frank refractor. A looong cardboard tube with a +1 Diopter spectacle lens at one end and another sliding cardboard tube holding a 25mm focal length single lens in a large lump of rubber!!

In woodwork class I built a small Alt-Az mount and Terry Clips held the tube...

Until I was donated a 6"f8 by Ian Nicholson a few years later, that was as good as it got. Norton's Star Atlas and I spent many years together. I used the 6" all the way through until 1977.

Started out aged 8 parents bought a 30mm refractor on shaky pillar and claw mount singlet lens in grey pvc tube eyepiece and focusser another singlet lens push fitted into main tube slide in and out to acheive focus ! ,nearly put me off astronomy replaced by 8x30 binoculars.

Age 10 made a 4 inch newtonian ground my own mirror ,supervised by my astronomy mentor brian williams who designed and built the powy's observatory.

Cardboard tube wooden equatorial mount ,worked ok still have the mirror.

Archived