NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Aurora to night

I wonder if FLO will get an aurora bounce with lots of enquiries Monday morning for beginner telescopes :) Hopefully a lot of people got a kick out of looking at the night sky last night and it may stick. 

Jim 

Map shows how far south it came I’m right on the Sussex coast never dreamed I would ever get to see them from here, couple of pics of what it was like from here 

6679E49B-DD3D-40BB-A449-966AB945A2E2.jpeg

F70192CF-8F51-496A-BD39-1ED47D1B5F5F.png

9773F192-FD57-4D0E-839B-1904CAB04829.png

• Like 3

I've seen the aurora before in Norway, so I dismissed the unusual radial pattern rather than "curtains" as high clouds or plane trails.

But so many of the posted images are similar to mine, perhaps it's the angle from viewing at a "low" Latitude:

Aurora08.thumb.jpg.c2929893cf7926a3b64767cc5d31edbd.jpg

Hand held Canon 6D ISO 6400.

Michael

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, City9Town0 said:

Fantastic here in IP12.

Never thought that I'd see the aurora looking South from here!

It was good last night, understating my feelings here.
I am lower down from you in SS7 near the Thames and it was good to the South from here.
East was the most notable though.

First image is Due East over my house.IMG_8483.thumb.jpeg.6d2fb8591a52212d8a33f5c80c878857.jpeg

IMG_8455.thumb.jpeg.e442a58e42873aa020c6bc9cb7126083.jpeg

IMG_8460.thumb.jpeg.175a64a92c956c064a185a3baa00bf1b.jpeg

Edited by Alan White
  • Like 4

Well I’ll be the first to get on my knees put my hands together and thank the cloud gods for holding the clouds back last night 🙏
Mind you they probably thought we’d suffered enough so gave us a treat 😁

• Like 1

Love to share my views of last night! Mrs Apricot was rudely awoken by an overly excited astro partner and dragged outside to share the view with me :). This is the first time I've ever seen the Aurora Borealis, and goodness me were we all spoiled stupid or what!? It really was awesome. Seeing those streamers and tendrils, pinks and greens so prominently naked eye was just unreal! You could see the changes in shape, colour, brightness both real time and yet not at all. And the silence... That eerie silence! Wow wow wow.

These are all straight out of my Samsung A52S, various 1,2 and 4s exposures at ISO 640...

20240510_231551.thumb.jpg.c8d56472473c256934c13ac552d16bdb.jpg

20240510_232019.thumb.jpg.75e8cb25dd4f11362fb44b9b4f72cde3.jpg

20240510_233341.thumb.jpg.0f3d378624ac19a8bb3ce62e0274964d.jpg

20240510_233558.thumb.jpg.790dc20c87eb9f7548862d18bd0ce7d0.jpg

20240510_233619.thumb.jpg.206a25179e036f79792e2a2c0159f825.jpg

20240510_233842.thumb.jpg.6a0d6f271b8d2e65bece62c6fee5a56f.jpg

20240510_234852.thumb.jpg.5c0dd49549ffacdd3dcc25c7735bd961.jpg

• Like 6

I set off for camping in Suffolk on Friday to do some galaxy hunting knowing I only had a couple of hours astronomical darkness and got ‘clouded out’ by the display. To begin with it looked just like light pollution to the north then suddenly as if a fog had lifted I could see the magnificent colours. At some point it was right overhead and down to the east and west. 

IMG_3761.jpeg

IMG_3756.jpeg

IMG_3758.jpeg

• Like 2

Phil, that was my experience as well. 

I had started with looking at the Moon and then was planning on finding some Galaxies. I had noticed the sky in the  North was light and the sky was getting 'murky'. I started to get suspicious that things were happening Aurora wise. I want inside to tell my wife and when we came back outside again the Aurora was in full swing 😀

Cheers

Ian

• Like 2

we should see tonight fingers crossed

Si vous avez raté le premier acte, rassurez-vous, le spectacle devrait continuer. Des aurores boréales devraient de nouveau embraser le ciel français samedi 11 et dimanche 12 mai, conséquences d'une tempête solaire "extrême" qui a commencé à frapper la Terre vendredi, selon les agences spatiales internationales.

"Nous subissons, en ce moment, la plus importante tempête solaire de ces 20 dernières années", détaille l'Agence spatiale européenne dans un message aux médias. Le phénomène est lié à une série d'éjections de masses de la couronne solaire. L'impact de ces masses coronales sur Terre a débuté devrait persister jusqu'à dimanche, explique l'Agence américaine d'observation océanique et atmosphérique (NOAA) dans un communiqué

7 minutes ago, JOC said:

Which direction is best to look please, we are assuming North?

Last night it stretched from west to north-east here and well past the zenith southwards , too much sky to cover by eye even.

I'm watching the numbers fall away right now though so don't be too disappointed if it's a no show tonight ... :drunken_smilie:

A distinct possibility of another blast in a day or so though ... 😉

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, JOC said:

Well north is a good place to start, tho last night it was overhead and also southerly from here as well. Looking outside a short time ago, sadly there's some high cloud over a lot of the sky so who knows if we''l get a second look tonight. Will see how it looks when darker by the sky cam isn't showing any colour in the sky so far 😞

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, JOC said:

I used to think that the northern horizon was where to look but last night the direction to look was up - the "pillars" of the aurora seemed to be pointing towards the zenith. I was surprised at the large scale of the thing with large swathes of the sky being covered at times.

Rather cloudy here and no sign of similar levels of activity, as yet.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, John said:

I used to think that the northern horizon was where to look but last night the direction to look was up - the "pillars" of the aurora seemed to be pointing towards the zenith. I was surprised at the large scale of the thing with large swathes of the sky being covered at times.

We saw them in Greenland last year, and it was strange looking south to see them. Last night was one of the best displays I've seen and the lights were overhead like a nexus with bands stretching east to west and north to south

• Like 1

Blimey, I thought galaxy imaging was hard, but Auroras are on another level. Not only do you have to contend with terrestrial weather, you have the vagaries of space weather as well. Currently 10/10ths cloud and no activity in Shropshire, serves me right for missing last night.:clouds1:

We've given up.  Sat outside 2230- 2320 nothing.  Fippin' amazing, yesterday biggest astronomical event in the last 20 years and I miss it :-(

• Sad 2

44 minutes ago, John said:

Same here, and the pillars were all pointing to the zenith like you say.

In fact, I took photos in all directions at one point last night and every way you looked, the colours were visible. But I did find the pillars generally across the north to the east, occasionally starting from the north west. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

nothing to report here tonight, and light cloud now rolling in off the Atlantic, I'll give  it a while longer

Edited by Jem7