SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

What do you drink while stargazing?

The60mmKid

If it’s the end of the week then usually Stella, not too many mind have to navigate precious OTAs through a few doorways. If I’m using the dob I’ll usually have a few more. Great for double star viewing. 🤩😅

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Franklin said:

Humorous comments, but seriously the best thing to drink through a long session at the eyepiece is water. Keeping hydrated helps your vision, caffeine and booze will only impair it.

This! 

• Like 2

lol... you certainly can tell when the sky is cloudy . Posts like this appear . 

Have to say i cannot remember a time when i drink anything whilst using the scope , but if i were to then it would be tea . I do have some lovely Georgian wine in the house which i will save for when i am having a very relaxed evening without worrying about incoming clouds or rain .

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 19/02/2024 at 21:42, The60mmKid said:

For me, it's peppermint tea. It stays hot in the thermos for hours, and the relaxing taste and aroma complement the serenity of observing.

I once spilled kombucha all over my eyepieces while excitedly reaching for my sketchpad 😢 It was one of those rare moments in life when the thought arises, "I bet this is the first time ever in human history when anyone has done this."

Peppermint tea  sounds a bit too posh for me. If I ever take a drink out with me it would generally be coffee or hot chocolate. Sometimes I'll take Ovaltine, but then I have to sing the song "We are the Ovaltinies, Little girls and boys,........" with a slight warble in my voice as if I'm on a WWII radio. It's embarrassing!  I do the same thing with chocolate bars. My family refuse to buy me Toblarone anymore!  You're probably too young to remember these old adverts, but they've stuck with me throughout my life, and once in your head, they'ed keep you awake at night.

When I was younger, the two older astronomers I used to go on field trips with would take flask's of OXO. It may sound a strange thing to drink, but honestly, when you're cold and tired it's a god-send!

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, mikeDnight said:

Peppermint tea  sounds a bit too posh for me. If I ever take a drink out with me it would generally be coffee or hot chocolate. Sometimes I'll take Ovaltine, but then I have to sing the song "We are the Ovaltinies, Little girls and boys,........" with a slight warble in my voice as if I'm on a WWII radio. It's embarrassing!  I do the same thing with chocolate bars. My family refuse to buy me Toblarone anymore!  You're probably too young to remember these old adverts, but they've stuck with me throughout my life, and once in your head, they'ed keep you awake at night.

When I was younger, the two older astronomers I used to go on field trips with would take flask's of OXO. It may sound a strange thing to drink, but honestly, when you're cold and tired it's a god-send!

Thanks Mike, now I am stuck with the Ovaltinies song.............................  🙉

Never tried Oxo but have taken a flask of Bovril out occasionally.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, PeterStudz said:

Hot chocolate, coffee (although I drink far too much) and to push the boat out a whisky or my own home made cider.

I've run out of home made cider - I have a 13% ginger ale though... I only serve it in 1/3 pints..

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, mikeDnight said:

We are the Ovaltinies, Little girls and boys,........"

That brought a smile to my face as everytime I have a mug of Ovaltine I think of the song.

• Like 3

To be honest whisky/alcohol is really only occasionally drunk after I’ve been out, or packing up, especially in winter.

Hot chocolate is something that my daughter likes (well, I do too) , along with toasted marshmallows - it helps the night along. 

Edited by PeterStudz
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, mikeDnight said:

Peppermint tea  sounds a bit too posh for me.

Oh come on. I know your address now. I'll mail you a bumper sticker. "Peppermint tea is too posh for me and my perfectly painted Takahashis."

• Haha 5

Hot chocolate, especially on cold nights at the eyepiece. If I'm indoors keeping an eye on an imaging session then it varies. After 9pm it's usually decaf coffee or peppermint tea.

• Like 2

Sat in the backyard, gazing up at a crisp night sky (as you do), sipping a cold Robinsons Stockport Golden, is a favourite tipple (or else a Guinness if I cannot got hold of the Robinsons) whilst pausing in-between views. 

Travelling to a dark sky location, which I haven't done for a while, definitely a largish thermos flask of coffee.  

• Like 3

At home, possibly a cold beer, coffee, tea or maybe a hot choc...

At Kielder last Autumn approaching midnight the thermos cup was filled with a mix of coffee, hot chocolate and Pusser's Gunpowder Proof rum. A very comforting brew in the cold! 🥴

Edited by ScouseSpaceCadet
  • Like 4

On 21/02/2024 at 23:55, ScouseSpaceCadet said:

hot chocolate and Pusser's Gunpowder Proof rum.

Pretty much the only way to improve hot chocolate is the addition of rum - and Pussers gunpowder is a fine choice :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Elp said:

Have you tried Diplomatico RE?

Yes, it's a lovely smooth rum, isn't it ?  I describe it as a "gateway rum" and give it to people that think/say they don't like rum - it generally turns out they don't like cheap rum :)

• Like 1

One of these…..

But be warned, After two of those babies, the dullest, most by-the-book Vogon will be up on the bar in stilettos, yodeling mountain shanties and swearing he's the king of the Gray Binding Fiefdoms of Saxaquine

You have been warned 

IMG_3263.jpeg

Edited by Moonlit Night
  • Haha 6