Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What do you drink while stargazing?

The60mmKid

For me, it's peppermint tea. It stays hot in the thermos for hours, and the relaxing taste and aroma complement the serenity of observing.

I once spilled kombucha all over my eyepieces while excitedly reaching for my sketchpad 😢 It was one of those rare moments in life when the thought arises, "I bet this is the first time ever in human history when anyone has done this."

• Like 4

Funnily, it depends on the season.

In winter, sometimes de-caff coffee, sometimes herbal tea. Whichever one it is, there's something wonderful about a mug steaming away on a freezing night.

In summer, if there's a late observing session, perhaps just an hour or two, then a cheeky beer seems very civilised.

• Like 3

In the cold I'll make a coffee or hot chocolate and on the warmer nights I make do with a small bottle of lucozade or juice. I try not to drink too much otherwise there are too many loo trips spoiling my night vision!!!

• Like 4

Cup of tea and some Lidl/Aldi chocolate hobnobs to keep the energy levels up (they are far superior to true hobnobs).

That being said, observing chair near full reclined, pair of 10x50 binos and a cheeky session beer in the summer is fantastic.

• Like 3

Thermos of heavily sweetened rooibos tea for me as well. Very enjoyable to pour a cuppa and walk around a bit when the cold starts to get to me after observing for a while.

• Like 2

Rarely, if ever, during observing except maybe when meteor-shower viewing and definitely no alcohol (said to impair night-vision?). But after a cold night's session perhaps a wee dram  or two before retiring to bed...

• Like 2

Bourbon and Diet Coke with a shot of lime juice.  Oh wait, that's for breakfast after I'm done observing.  😁

Seriously, If I drink anything it's usually warm Irish breakfast tea or a Diet Coke for more caffeine.  Occasionally, I'll drink sweetened coffee but it has to be decaf or I get too jittery.

• Like 3

Coffee for me, usually decaf but not always. It depends how late it is.  If it involves baby sitting an imaging session (because of possible rain) into the wee hours I will keep going on coffee. Talking of the wee hours …. the trouble with shipping all this liquid …… 

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, Marvin Jenkins said:

For planets it's beer. Wine for double stars and Drambuie for Supernovas.🤣

Surely it should be champagne for supernovas?

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

Last night while sorting the ascom drivers out for the EQ6 and waiting for the clouds to move I had a nice straight Jim Beam Black with a Gurkha Reserve 18 Year Koi Cigar.  I'm not adverse to a glass of something while I'm observing.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

For observing from home and away during the colder seasons I drink Earl Gray Tea, with some milk. On a hot summer's night, a G+T will do for a Jupiter session...

• Like 1

A hot cup of tea during the long winter months, black, 2 sugars. Thats mainly to keep me warm.

Now if we are talking about a solar session in the summer time, a gin and tonic, or an ice cold beer goes down very well.

• Like 2