SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

What do you drink while stargazing?

The60mmKid

Not meaning to be a kill-joy, but I've known observers doing a long stint at the eyepiece on sub zero nights, fall asleep briefly. Alcohol, despite seeming to warm us up, actually causes arteries to dilate, increasing heat loss and cooling us down. It would be easy to suffer hypothermia even on a night that isn't freezing. Hot, alcohol free drinks only for me. I'm a cheap night out! :angel:

• Like 3

Far more importantly that any risk of hypothermia, doesn't ethanol also negatively affect visual acuity? 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ags said:

Far more importantly that any risk of hypothermia, doesn't ethanol also negatively affect visual acuity? 

Or one’s ability to safely tear down one’s gear safely and transport it into the house? 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Moonlit Night said:

I don’t drink alcohol at all if I am honest, never mind a pan galactic gargle blaster

That fact does not make your original post any less funny or less relevant - it made me chuckle so thank you !

• Like 1

15 hours ago, mikeDnight said:

Not meaning to be a kill-joy, but I've known observers doing a long stint at the eyepiece on sub zero nights, fall asleep briefly. Alcohol, despite seeming to warm us up, actually causes arteries to dilate, increasing heat loss and cooling us down. It would be easy to suffer hypothermia even on a night that isn't freezing. Hot, alcohol free drinks only for me. I'm a cheap night out! :angel:

22 minutes ago, Moonlit Night said:

Or one’s ability to safely tear down one’s gear safely and transport it into the house? 

10 hours ago, Ags said:

All good points but it's so tasty....

• Haha 2

It depends. My stargzing is entirely indoors (I'm an imager) so it can be anything I like.

In the observatory, either Cola or, more usual, hot chocolate. it's nice having a kettle near the telescope!

Beer or wine is not uncommon if I'm in the house driving the equipment over the LAN.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Moonlit Night said:

I don’t drink alcohol at all if I am honest, never mind a pan galactic gargle blaster

I've not heard that term in years! I really must read the books, again.

• Like 1