SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

About Stargazers Lounge

Ouroboros

I’ve only been a member of SGL for about 12 years and it’s only just occurred to me that I don’t really know very much about it.  For example who owns and manages SGL? How is it supported financially?  When did it start?  Whose idea was it? That sort of thing.

I feel the site might benefit from an “About” section that provides a bit of background.  Maybe there is one and I’ve never stumbled across it. :) 

• Like 3

I wouldn't imagine moderators have "full control".  FLO will always have a tight hold of their baby, but I do think it's a brilliant idea which will have taken a lot of forethought, time and effort to create.  I'd imagine the primary purpose is to provide a loyal customer base for FLO, but SGL also serves as a place of encouragement,  communication, and a place to share experiences, observations, and build friendships. 

• Like 7

I’m sure there used to be a page outlining the history of SGL. From what I recall it all started out as a bulletin board group thingy (possibly a Yahoo group) run by astronomy enthusiasts, some of whom are still involved or were until recently. I’d always assumed the model was that SGL was run as a ‘open’ group type model with its own rules, with FLO being the authorized sponsor. But I may be wrong or things may have changed. Perhaps someone can clarify? 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, mikeDnight said:

I wouldn't imagine moderators have "full control"

I did say "full editorial control", but happy to hear from a moderator on that ???

I do notice that unwarranted comment on ALL suppliers is not tolerated, which speaks well of the approach.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stephenstargazer said:

I do notice that unwarranted comment on ALL suppliers is not tolerated, which speaks well of the approach.

... and actually, while criticism of competitors is carefully vetted, the proprietors are quite comfortable with members praising the competition, posting links to their websites, highlighting their special offers ...

• Like 3

I can answer as to who does what.

FLO - FLO is the site sponsor. They provide the means for SGL to exist.

Grant (FLO/Admin) - looks after the software, implements updates, fixes any site issues.

Admin - admin are the top level decision makers. They are responsible for site policy. They also provide support for the moderation team.

Moderators - we look after the day to day running of the site. Anything from moderating posts, moving things around, offering help and advice on site matters or site policy, and managing members. All moderators are available by PM for assistance if required (providing we are online). For immediate issues there's the report button - the report section is monitored constantly by whichever moderator(s) is(are) online.

Site members - yes, you! SGL mostly runs itself because of our members. Thankfully SGL is a happy place full of the finest contributors we could wish for. The moderation team relies heavily on SGL's members - we don't have eyes and ears everywhere and our members are generally on top of things and know when something is/isn't acceptable. Thanks guys - you are awesome 👍

• Like 31
  • Thanks 5

On the topic of editorial control, when I used to do equipment reviews for the forum, FLO would kindly supply me with items to compare and test on a free loan basis (they even covered the postage costs both ways) and with no time limit.

FLO did not ask for any editorial control over the reports that I posted on the forum - I was entirely free to write what I felt about the items negative or positive. Which is just what I did 🙂

From my experience as a moderator (nearly a decade), much thought and discussion goes into moderating behind the scenes. The admins / moderation team mutually supportive and great care is taken when making decisions on moderation action. The default position is always to take a "light touch" approach and I think it works excellently 👍

• Like 17

Hopefully the O.P. has had his questions pretty fully answered with the helpful replies posted above.

Speaking as an enthusiastic member since 2009, when I really had the chance to re-engage with this great hobby after a decade or so hiatus from Astronomy due to work and family commitments, I consider SGL to be an important and rewarding part of my life.

I've made some good friends on this forum, some of whom I have met in person, and I have learned so much from other members about equipment, observing skills, interesting targets to observe, etc.etc.

I find that questions are answered quickly, advice is freely given, (and gratefully received), and all of this is "lubricated" with some great humour and banter.

Full credit to FLO for having the foresight to set up and offer this great resource, free of cost to us users, and for supporting a reliable and easy to use platform for our wonderful member community.

Of course, FLO gain something for all this effort, in terms of market awareness and growth of their brand and business. But they have actually increased the size of the astro market in the UK for ALL suppliers, which in turn generates competition between suppliers in terms of product choice and customer service.

Long may all this continue, and a big thank you to SGL, the Moderator team and all the brilliant members of SGL for making g SGL such a great place to spend time..🙂🫡

Dave

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Yes, thanks @Mr Spock for your outline of how it works and how SGL is sponsored. It works pretty much as I imagined actually. I also agree with everyone’s comments. SGL is a great resource, friendly and helpful. I broadly approve of the editorial stance and moderation. It all goes to make SGL a safe and welcoming place for anyone regardless of age, background or knowledge in the subject.   I always liked the acceptance here that there is no such thing as a silly question.

Are we coming up to, or have we passed, the 20th anniversary of SGL?  

• Like 1

I’m pretty sure there used to be a page which gave an interesting overview of the origins of SGL, I’m sure it has its roots in a Yahoo group or similar. Perhaps the page can be reinstated if there is enough interest? 

19 hours ago, Saganite said:

I always thought Ant was a founding member, but may well be wrong.

When I first joined, I thought @Johnwas the founder due to the number of posts he made😄. Additionally, SGL is one of only six websites I have permanently bookmarked, and the only 'social media' I can bring myself to care about.

Edited by Roy Challen
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

However the site started, I am most grateful that it was, thank you @FLO for making that possible.
The site has helped me grow in knowledge and as others have said make friends and indeed meet some of you.
I am truly thankful for the site being started and for all of you dear fellow SGLers for sharing our fine hobby between us.
Astronomy is not such a solo persuit with SGL.

Edited by Alan White
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Stu said:

I’m sure @Steve can fill in the history of SGL 👍

I should first say I wasn't there at the very beginning. 

In 2004, Ant wanted a convenient place where he and Russ could chat and share images, so he started a Yahoo group called Backyard Astronomy. Over time, others liked what they saw and joined. When membership reached around 100, they moved the group from Yahoo to a PHP-style forum and renamed it Stargazerslounge. I think Ant came up with the name. The forum then went through a significant change following the arrival of Grant with his knowledge of PHP, website design and astronomy. As the forum grew and costs increased, FLO became the forum sponsor. FLO continues to cover all of SGL's costs. 

The ADMIN team has changed over the years. Ant has moved on but still logs in occasionally as a regular member. I think Russ does too. Grant, Daz, and I continue as ADMIN. The mod team also changed over time. The current mod team have several years of experience and all were long-standing members before becoming mods. 

But Spock is right. SGL is, first and foremost, a community of astronomy enthusiasts. The forum is you. Without you, SGL would cease to exist. 

I think next year is SGL’s twentieth anniversary. I’ll ask Ant. He and I are overdue for another get-together. 

HTH

• Like 12
  • Thanks 10