Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Anyone tried Windows 11

iwols

• 3 months later...

Dangerously, out of boredom on Sunday I upgraded my remote observatory PC to windows 11, and yes remotely.  I was a little nervous, panicking after I pushed the upgrade button about my rash decision.  However, nearly everything worked, including windows RDP, SGP, PHD2, PWI3 (Planewave delta-T and EFA), The SkyX64, Pegasus Astro Utility Platform, ASCOM, SIPS (Moravian), and a few others.

I have however encountered 1 issue.  When I power up my devices, my SX Lodestar CCD somehow clashes with my Moravian G3 CCD camera and the Lodestar produces a unrecognised USB device error (never witnessed under Win10).  If I recycle the Lodestar CCD USB port via my Pegasus (which takes about a second), it is instantly recognised and all is good.  I have run 2 all night remote imaging runs with SGP, on M13 since, and had no issues.  In fact I scheduled SGP to start at 23:30, went to bed and happily found 48 image (12xLRGB) on my PC the next  morning, with my scope parked, camera warmed up and guiding stopped.

Alternatively if I power my Moravian up after the Lodestar has connected, this also resolves the issue.  Not sure how this would have been accomplished without a Pegasus or MHP.

The sensible option would of course been to wait until someone else tested and learn from their issues!

I treated myself to a new Alienware laptop for Christmas and it came with win 11 installed.  So far it's been running with no issues although I haven't transferred across all my astro related software. I got it mainly for processing power and so far it has been running PixInsight and DSS without any problem.  I'm also running the AsiAir Pro via Blue Stacks,  and Stellarium again no problems with either yet.  What I haven't done is loaded up the likes of my printer drivers and various other non astro related stuff.  Im trying to keep this laptop as a dedicated image processing & obsy/processing machine -  MS Flight Sim as well :) .  I remember when I changed over to win 10 and my Canon laser printer decided it was no longer compatible - a perfectly capable and otherwise serviceable printer junked!  Anyway so far so good with win 11, very stable too. 

Jim 

Edited by saac
  • Like 1

Not my imaging PC but my everyday laptop, it came with W10 and I upgraded to W11 when it was released. Works fine and I have none of the problems I had years ago after upgrading from 7 to 10. The only quirk W11 produces on mine is it won't open the File Explorer if I left click on the icon in the task bar after I start the laptop. Windows momentarily stalls and refreshes after about 5 seconds. I need to right click and select file explorer from the drop down menu and then it open. After I do this once the single left click works fine until I restart the laptop and have to repeat. A small irritation I can live with.

Upgraded fine with no problems.

Also has the benefit for me of running the latest version of Fire capture, where as in Windows 10 it would crash repeatedly for some reason and I had to use an earlier version.

I purchased a Beelink U59 and it came with Windows 11 Pro pre installed. I installed all my usual ASCOM 6.6, NINA, APT, Sharpcap, ZWO Drivers, Pegasus Drivers, RisingCam drivers, GSS Server, Stellarium, ASI Studio, ASTAP and have not had any issues.

• Like 1

On 01/05/2022 at 22:14, Mr Spock said:

On the latest (insider program) update the systray is gone. You have to select individual items in taskbar setting for them to show on the taskbar.

Things like this are why i wont be upgrading until win10 support ends, and probably not soon after that either. I hate it when windows just decides to change a feature without asking!

Can you remove auto updates in win11? I have done so with registry edits in my win10.

22 hours ago, Skipper Billy said:

Upgraded a while ago - zero issues - it just looks like a 'Fisher Price' version of W10 - childish fonts etc.

😀 Nice one David, that perfectly sums up my feelings about the Win11 UI 

A couple of things that annoy me about W11. Whenever I get a major update, I have to:

• re install Equalizer pro to get my sound right
  • edit the registry to get 'copy to' and 'move to' back in the context menu

What - do they think people no longer move files around?

3 hours ago, Mr Spock said:

It might vary from version to version but on mine copy and move are shown as symbols not words at the top of the context box.  Before I spotted that I found that right clicking a second time brought up those commads as words not symbols. Weird ....

• 2 months later...
On 05/05/2022 at 18:28, Mr Spock said:

A couple of things that annoy me about W11. Whenever I get a major update, I have to:

• re install Equalizer pro to get my sound right

They are still there….😳😳👍🏼

• 3 months later...
On 15/07/2022 at 21:34, Dave_D said:

windows 11 was an utter failure on my quieter3Q, ended up installing windows 10 and using the registry change in the link below to stop windows 11 upgrade constantly nagging me.

https://appuals.com/cancel-windows-11-update/

Apologies for necroing your comment, but what issues were you having with win11 on the quieter 3Q?  I'm about halfway through downloading the 8GB mirror from the mele website to install on mine as I just got it and added an nvme drive. 

• 5 months later...

Hello all,

how did you guys manage to install ASCOM Platform on your Win11 machine?

It seems the .net 3.5 Framework driver would not load, returning an error.

I bought this new pc JUST for astronomy...and here we are.

Help please

Cheers,

Mauro

5 minutes ago, astrombm said:

Hello all,

Help please

Cheers,

Mauro

Have you got  .Net turned on in Windows features? On Win 11 do a search for features and you should see 'Turn Windows  features on/off Control Panel"

It's not enabled by default as per Ascom notes here

17 minutes ago, astrombm said:

Hello all,

Help please

Cheers,

Mauro

I just installed ASCOM on a new Mele 3Q win 11 mini PC yesterday and it went straight on, it never even mentioned .net during the install….and all my ASCOM drivers work fine…