Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

SGL Perseid Challenge 2021

August is the month of the Perseid meteor shower, argualbly the best meteor display of them all.  Although the night of 12th - 13th will see the maximum zenithal hourly rate the overall period of activity extends to several days either side of this.  The moon should be setting conveniently early so lets hope for clear skies!  

Start date 1st August 2021

End date 31st August 2021

As previously the winner and runners up will receive an SGL challenge mug showing their image along with a virtual medal-of-honour for their SGL signature.

Please post entries directly into this thread

To keep the thread manageable for the judges please do not post comments about entries, emoji reactions are welcome of course.

--

RULES

All data must be captured and processed by you (no collaborative entries). 
Data must be captured during the challenge start & end dates. 
Multiple entries are allowed but please make a fresh post within the thread.
Multiple submissions of the same image, processed differently, will not be accepted.

• Like 7

I will call this one  " Perseid-verance "  ... as the 10th /11th August was a murky, high cloud infested evening and early hours here in Harrogate and it was a struggle to see stars visually.

Saying that, modd-ed  Canon 600  with 20 sec exposures at 800iso, I managed to bag one at about 3:45am !!  EDIT: forgot to say  Samyang 14mm

480839179_PerseidCLOUD2021Aug11.thumb.jpg.59cdd0ef679db0769ed4be6661a265da.jpg

Hedge needs a trim....

Edited by Craney
  • Like 9

Stood in a field near Glastonbury next to an avenue of cedar trees on Monday the 9th until blue hour on the morning of the 10th.  The sum total amalgamated into one image.  As always, saw some real rippers outside of the field of view of my gear!  Including a monster fireball that travelled across the sky from west to east leaving a snaking vapour trail in its wake...  Again outside the camera field of view!

Canon 6D - Samyang 14mm @ F3.5 - 25 second exposures

2021.08.10_Perseid_Low.jpg

Edited by Zummerzet_Leveller
More info
  • Like 15

This is an image made up of 120x 30s exposures of the Cygus and Lyra region taken on a Canon 600D through a 28-80mm lens set as wide angle as possible. Taken around midnight on the evening of 12th to 13th. Exposures combined together and those with planes and satellites removed, though may have removed some faint meteors by mistake!

Perseids and Cygnus.png

• Like 6

This is my first attempt at capturing a meteor shower.  It is a stack of 20 x 19 second images taken on 13th July using a Canon 1300D and kit lens at 18mm.  I even managed to get a small Andromeda in the shot.  

The tower in the foreground doesn't lean in reality, but I was stood on a hill and didn't pay as much attention as I should have.  That being said, I quite like the look as it is.  I think it unlikely to compete within this category, but I am satisfied for my first attempt and thought that I would enter.   

Jem

Perseids.thumb.jpg.71a12ca8be37086f0dbb4d772d064d67.jpg

• Like 5

Just enough gaps appeared in the sky on the night of the 12th to get some imaging done. I went up on Over Owler Tor, near Hathersage, and was met by a sea of people but luckily all but a few left after their dramatic sunset shots were taken.

I set the Nikon Z6 camera going at 14mm f1.8, ISO 800 and 20 seconds and bagged a mere 482 for the sky and 8 for the ground ! 482 is quite a few to look through when you're trying to find faint streaks ! In all I found just 9 with Meteors and not all of them are Perseids I'm sure. I only used 2 ground shots f4, ISO 800 for 10 seconds illuminated by a small torch.

Processed in Photoshop and Lightroom using masking and layers and you can just make out some colour on a few of the longer streaks

633753426_Allimagesmaskedaligned.thumb.jpg.399cd12b1a6e8cc7c95abbe761dc4a83.jpg.

As a byproduct of so many shots I got a dramatic timelapse but it was spoilt a bit by so much torchlight in the area.

For those interested, and I know a few are, I consumed 2 plain chocolate Bounties and 2 flasks of coffee. No crisps, I'm on a diet 😇

Dave

Edited by davew
  • Like 10
  • Haha 2

A single Perseid above the Dome of the Blackett Observatory. Taken with a Canon R5 & 15mm f2.8 lens, clicking away taking 20 sec exposures at ISO1600 - caught a load of satellites and just a couple of meteors. That’s not say I didn’t see plenty - over 60 in about 1.5 hours, it was just the camera was rarely pointing in the right direction!

F4C54F84-E896-490F-AE77-E0F1FD1E2E72.thumb.jpeg.9ea85736f9befc10e4444c2734712a61.jpeg

• Like 3

My first Perseid shower imaging session with a new - recycled Sigma lens at F4.5 and f=10mm.  A cropped compilation of about 30 x20 second light frames at ISO3200 with a Canon 600d DSLR on a fixed tripod. The images were taken from the cliffs at Pakefield-Lowestoft ,looking  out over the North Sea.  Sadly, the CEFAS offices and Labs have been refurbished recently with more LED lights than you can shake a stick at!  Sadder still, they appear to have decided to leave everyone of them switched on all night.  I shall be writing to their new Chief Exec! On a more positive note Mrs H and I saw about 40 meteors, including one green fireball (extreme left on the image) all in  a period of 2 hours,  a pretty good display in recent years!

Best Perseid Meteors Crop.png

• Like 6

My first entry to an SGL challenge: Milky Way and a Perseid. 

Captured 13th Aug 2021 from the New Forest, using Canon 2000d, Samyang 14mm f2.8 lens, at ISO1600. Stack of 84 x 30s tracked exposures.  In the space of an hour we saw about 15 - 20 meteors, about 5 of which passed through the FOV, with this one being the brightest and distinguishable from all the satellites.

MilkyWay_PNG.thumb.png.996d9ad2afd4afa09443fc496acfa271.png

Adam

• Like 6

Some stunning images on here this year - glad a lot of people managed to bag some!  Here’s my first, taken on the night of the maximum over Ferry Lagoon, in the Fen Drayton Lakes RSPB reserve in Cambridgeshire.

145A1717-AC3B-4BC0-B99B-5C6EBA65B397.jpeg.9f54c10de59819f9c60b8ee4e8ffe2d9.jpeg

13 second exposures (32 stacked here), taken on a Canon 6D with Samyang 24mm lens at f/2.8 and ISO 3200.  Stacked in Sequator (using the shot with the meteor as the reference frame), edited in Lightroom and Photoshop.

• Like 7

My entry for The Perseids 2021 is the only image I managed to get on the night of 12th Aug. I started around 10.15pm and wrapped up around 2.15pm. I used my Canon 700d modded using my 18 -135mm lens set at 18mm at 800asi. I used my Intervalometer set at 20 secs and then 30 secs with an interval of around 10 secs. I reckon I saw around 6 meteors and the one I imaged was one of them. Really pleased with it!

IMG_9159.JPG

• Like 3

I had just set the camera up and focused it, the view was limted by a huge row of trees. I was just about set the timer and a beauty steaked through where the camera was pointing. I quickly pressed the trigger on the timer as the ionised smoke trail was dissipating.

Delighted to see the colour in the trail, bit noisy i guess though

IMG_9690-reducedhalo.thumb.jpg.9e4f4265e1106a01d3e8c250878fe99b.jpg

• Like 4