Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hi from rural Devon.

cheddar-man

I'm an 82yo long time amateur wildlife photographer who has been hooked on the heavens since I witnessed the Perseids meteor shower the other month.

I picked up a Sky Watcher Star Adventurer mount and am learning how too use it - not impressed with the illuminator but I have found a remedy for that on this forum 😁

I've watched loads of Youtube and read copious copy and am amazed at my first attempt last week with Andromeda.................

I'm using a Sony RX10Miv camera on the mount and this is the result of just 20 X 30sec Lights at ISO1600 f4 (note the tech language already 😎) and 10 Darks  & Biases processed in SiriL with a bit of touch-up in Photos (Mac-Book pro.)

result.jpg

Edited by cheddar-man
  • Like 12

Great image that, well done with the star adventurer. I'm not far from you in rural North Cornwall, I was looking at the omegon mini track lx2 for my canon 450d for a quick mount onto my tripod for outdoor use without batteries, the star adventurer is a bit out of my price range. 

Wow! Fantastic first image! :) 

Welcome to SGL! I think everyone knows what you mean about being hooked... I had a couple of years break for one reason or another but now I'm back and raring to go... this hobby always brings you back around in the end!

• Like 1

Hi and welcome to SGL........I too have had a life long interest in photography and astronomy after reading books at school...I'm now 52.

I use Nikon DSLR's with some fast prime lenses.....can I ask at focal length was this amazing picture taken? I ask because I now have the Omegon LX2 and want to get out as much as I can e.g would like to put my 300mm f4ED Nikkor and try some 20-30 second exposures and then stack them.I won't be taking anything longer than 20-30 secs as I don't think the LX2 will track that well because of the payload having said that I will be only 5oz's over the 2kg /4.4lb weight limit.Although there's a fella on facebook an Italian called Stefano Moschini who takes amazing DSO photo's using the LX2 and long lenses!

Next available clear sky I'm out there tracking Andromeda down!

Clear skies and keep safe all.

Ash.

• Like 1

On 14/10/2020 at 18:52, MrZuiko said:

Hi and welcome to SGL........I too have had a life long interest in photography and astronomy after reading books at school...I'm now 52.

I use Nikon DSLR's with some fast prime lenses.....can I ask at focal length was this amazing picture taken? I ask because I now have the Omegon LX2 and want to get out as much as I can e.g would like to put my 300mm f4ED Nikkor and try some 20-30 second exposures and then stack them.I won't be taking anything longer than 20-30 secs as I don't think the LX2 will track that well because of the payload having said that I will be only 5oz's over the 2kg /4.4lb weight limit.Although there's a fella on facebook an Italian called Stefano Moschini who takes amazing DSO photo's using the LX2 and long lenses!

Ash.

After reading some fantastic reviews and videos, I've ordered the omegon lx2 aswell, should be delivered moro I have a canon 450d with kit lens and tamron 70-300mm lens, can't wait to try it out and get some good nebula shots when stacked, clear skies 🔭🌌📷

Edited by LeeHore7

Congrats.......I've just ordered the polar scope bracket from Bernard at Modern Astronomy where I bought my LX2 first class service and great prices. I'm hoping that with a proper finder scope the polar alignment will yield better results at the longer focal lengths.Although I'm familiar with photoshop I've never stacked files before but I'm sure I'll get the hang of it!

There's a guy on Youtube Nebular photos who doesn't even use a tracker just a camera,long lens and a tripod and 1 second exposures etc. Amazing photos and videos where he shows you the full process from start to finish.....!

While my intervalometer counts down the many files required........I'll shall be cruising the milky way with my Nikon 7x50 tropical bins.

Clear skies and be safe.

Ash.

• Like 1

On 14/10/2020 at 18:52, MrZuiko said:

Ash.

About 500mm on my Sony RX10Miv I seem to remember. Didn't keep all the originals once the processing was completed.

The most difficult thing was first locating the Galaxy at wide angle and then slowly zooming in maintaining focus as with the RX10 as you zoom in the focus changes and it wasn't always possible to see something to focus on. I'm learning!

• Like 1