Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

the English obsession

alacant

cp13.jpg.5240b9cc5fc865156ad67e08a3a0ea24.jpg

A friend on the Spanish forum sent me this.

The accompanying message, '... ¡los ingleses por excelencia!'. English par excellence.

For the record, I write English but rarely speak it. Hence I have fewer telescopes than Jeff.

Edited by alacant
  • Like 2
  • Haha 17

9 minutes ago, andrew s said:

Excellent,  SGLers guilty of this own up. You know who you are.

Just need to redraw it every few weeks, months, years with different scopes and  mounts.

Regards Andrew 

Guilty as charged. In fact I think I've got every one of those scopes 

But give that guy a few more weeks and he will have a Tak or two in his collection 🙂

• Like 3

I agreed a strict 4 scope limit with my wife a few years back.

I've currently got 8 .............. :rolleyes2:

But several of them are "projects" which I'm tinkering with and will sell them on real soon of course :angel12:

(Stock Astronomers Excuse #27)

• Like 5
  • Haha 6

Its a fair cop guv, you caught me.

I believe (if I am under oath) that I told my wife I would sell one when I bought the most recent (the 130mm)....That did not happen.

Of course for that comic to be even more accurate, there should be a third pane, which shows clouds have rolled in.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Telescope's needed, three for solar, ha,  cak and white light,  f4 12inch Newtonian for DSOs, 11ich SCT for moon and planetary. Grab and go scope's 70mm ed and actromatic along with 70-300mm and 500mm telephoto lenses, pair of binoculars should cover most "NEEDED" observational situations, lol. 

15 minutes ago, Nigella Bryant said:

Telescope's needed, three for solar, ha,  cak and white light,  f4 12inch Newtonian for DSOs, 11ich SCT for moon and planetary. Grab and go scope's 70mm ed and actromatic along with 70-300mm and 500mm telephoto lenses, pair of binoculars should cover most "NEEDED" observational situations, lol. 

Come on Nigella, you’re not even trying!

🤣

• Haha 3

On 30/07/2020 at 14:18, Ibbo! said:

Q - how many telescopes do you need?

A - All of them  🤡

Wrong!!  - More!!  or All of them and more!! 😁

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, bingevader said:

I'm such a light weight!

20 ish years since the etx90 and I still only have two! :D

You're really not trying hard enough, you know.  You'll give the rest of us a bad name.

James

• Haha 2

Only at 6 here but then not really room to get more. One of them, the TAL-1, was bought just for the 25mm Plossl with 32mm barrel eyepiece it came with in order to complete the set for the TAL-M I already had, figuring I could always sell the scope itself on later. But then I shifted the mirror and replaced the focuser with a 1.25-inch one and it's still here and in use.

Bino's tho, that's a different story, 30+ pairs 😮 

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, DaveL59 said:

Only at 6 here but then not really room to get more. One of them, the TAL-1, was bought just for the 25mm Plossl with 32mm barrel eyepiece it came with in order to complete the set for the TAL-M I already had, figuring I could always sell the scope itself on later. But then I shifted the mirror and replaced the focuser with a 1.25-inch one and it's still here and in use.

Refractors count double, of course 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ah what our continental friends do not know is that you need different telescopes for the many different clouds types you enjoy in Blighty.  Of course all are equally useless at penetrating the grey stuff but we live in hope. :)   

Jim 

• Haha 4

58 minutes ago, Macavity said:

I thought the "English Obsession" allude to something else?!?  🤣
(To be honest I cannot remember exactly what at the moment!)

Love it :) 

Jim 

• Haha 1