NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

What annoys you in Astro......

Alan White

I thought it was time we had or had a new one if one has gone before this....

What annoys you in astronomy..........
One short input each on a single annoyance.
If you have many it's 'one at a time please' on this thread.

So time to all let out inner Victor Meldrew out :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

So entry one for me:

Undercuts.
The undercuts annoy me as they do snag from time to time and as an alt az manual mount user,
a snag means I pull myself off target, very annoying if ramping up magnification at the time.

• Like 4

The weather forecast- particularly the met office one on my phone. Last night it predicted clouds, rain and  even had a thunderstorm warning! All night! At 11pm i looked out to perfectly clear skies- horizon to horizon. It was too late though to set out with scope so i missed a much needed session 😡 This happens regularly and often Clear Outside is no better- they often completely contradict each other! Where’s the best resource for live satellite views of the weather? I’ve downloaded an app but it’s a very tight view of UK- something wider would be useful to see the patterns

• Like 4

Books, tv, websites and magazines that show images of objects but don’t necessarily make it clear that this is not how it will appear to you when you observe it for yourself.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, markse68 said:

The weather forecast- particularly the met office one on my phone. Last night it predicted clouds, rain and  even had a thunderstorm warning! All night! At 11pm i looked out to perfectly clear skies- horizon to horizon. It was too late though to set out with scope so i missed a much needed session 😡 This happens regularly and often Clear Outside is no better- they often completely contradict each other! Where’s the best resource for live satellite views of the weather? I’ve downloaded an app but it’s a very tight view of UK- something wider would be useful to see the patterns

Had the same thing last night looked out as I was turning in and not a cloud in sight, forecast said cloud and rain.

I use Sat24, you can zoom in,

Dave

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When you look outside and it’s wall to wall cloud and raining only to read about someone in the Anybody Playing Tonight? thread raving about the clear skies and perfect seeing where they are. Grrrrrrr 🙁

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

Windows 10. All I want is a computer operating system, not one that constantly tries to integrate my accounts, data and grab information disguised as a software update at inappropriate times, even outside the scheduled update slot I have set.

• Like 6

Neighbours burning rubbish late at night, having a BBQ, bonfire, etc.  The smoke and thermals causing haze and scintillation!  Not to mention the possibility of soot particles on your primary mirror!🤬

Edited by Guest
grammar

14 minutes ago, merlin100 said:

Neighbours burning rubbish late at night, having a BBQ, bonfire, etc.  The smoke and thermals causing haze and scintillation!  Not to mention the possibility of soot particles on your primary mirror!🤬

A particular hate for me also. While living in Canada they had a simple solution. Bonfires and burning of rubbish is simply banned in residential areas. Only BBQs allowed and even then you could be prosecuted for making too much smoke with your BBQ.

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, markse68 said:

I have exactly the same problem...🤨 At this point I prepare to a certain extent every night in anticipation of the forecast being up the creek (as it usually is)

• Like 2