Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Does buying more gear really make you any happier ?

Solar B

My astro purchasing this year has gone right down, almost to a trickle, if not a drought. However, for my other hobbies which includes retro computing, arduino, raspberry pi, electronics etc seem to be going on a steep incline!

Anyhoo, I guess I am at a stage now where I am happy with the astro kit I have now, but to get there did mean an awful lot of money spent. On the plus side my other hobbies don’t nearly consume a fraction as much as I spent on astro equipment, so I’ve still got a happy smile! ;) 

Edited by Knighty2112
  • Like 1

Someone on this site said that the perfect amount of telescopes, is n+1, where n is the number of telescopes you currently have. Sorry I can't credit the right person. I just don't remember who it was.

Although I'm sure it was meant as a joke, there's a lot truth in it for my part. Four days ago I received my Daystar Quark. Through a combination of work and overcast I have yet to point it at the sun with my Evostar 80 APO. But just moments ago I found myself browsing FLO for a bigger and better refractor to complement my Quark. Unbelievable right?

I've come to the realization that it will never ever be enough. No matter how much money I sink into it, there's always something better (or just different). And even if I did buy the best that money can buy today, next year there'll be a new and improved model.

I've once again, after my recent purchase, vowed to not buy any more equipment until I've fully explored the capabilities of what I currently have. I hope my determination to uphold my vow does not dwindle as quickly this time :).

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I too have trawled the used sections and retailer websites and fallen into the pit of spending and constant change, this has been a heck of a journey, but also quite some learning curve.

I know what kit I like, how I like to use it and what bothers the heck out of me as well.

Did I get pleasure spending, NO, but I am at heart tight and don’t enjoy spending, but that’s driven from my upbringing where every penny counted and in a way Oddly still does.

So in answer to Brian’s question it is yes and no, pleasure from use, pain from spending.

Edited by Alan White
typos of course
  • Like 1

I've bought a few things recently, mostly out of curiosity / boredom, which have been low cost. Low enough to take a punt on without worrying about it. What has be pleasing is that they work rather well, certainly somewhat better than their cost would suggest they should :smiley:

Sort of feels like I've "beaten the system" a little bit :grin:

It's also nice to know that you can have a lot of fun in this hobby without splashing much cash about.

• Like 4

For me it's about the joy of research and the joy of ownership and the joy of use. There's no issue with anyone buying anything as far as I am concerned as long as they don't over stretch themselves. The most worrying thing for me about the op is the sneaking around and what appears to be an element of deception which leads to feeling guilty.

I would also feel like this but my wife and I get a small allowance every month from the family budget and we can spend that, birthday money, Christmas money, anniversary money, sale of kit funds etc with impunity. 

I still have kit worth a fair bit. My wife's has long gone on makeup, shoes and bags, many of which end up recycled. I also ignore the "I've had it ages" remarks when she wears a new pair of shoes. As far as I am concerned, "happy wife, happy life".

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Moonshane said:

For me it's about the joy of research and the joy of ownership and the joy of use. There's no issue with anyone buying anything as far as I am concerned as long as they don't over stretch themselves. The most worrying thing for me about the op is the sneaking around and what appears to be an element of deception which leads to feeling guilty.

I would also feel like this but my wife and I get a small allowance every month from the family budget and we can spend that, birthday money, Christmas money, anniversary money, sale of kit funds etc with impunity. 

I still have kit worth a fair bit. My wife's has long gone on makeup, shoes and bags, many of which end up recycled. I also ignore the "I've had it ages" remarks when she wears a new pair of shoes. As far as I am concerned, "happy wife, happy life".

Well said shane,

I tell swmbo what I am buying and happily she doesn't care two hoots as long as I never say to her we can't afford something she wants due to an astro related purchase. If I did that, questions may be asked.

She is actually more concerned with the space kit takes up in our living room. So I have told her my new truss dob (soon to arrive) will be packed down small enough to store in the garage so I can sell the the 10" pushto that sits in the living room. She is happy as larry over this, and so am I 😘😅

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think astrophotography purchases come in waves.. buy first dedicated setup...lots of cash 

then

I need a longer focal length... more cash or I need tighter filters....

Edited by Wyvernp
  • Like 1

I think it is a consumerist "want, want, want" mindset we have in the West (and increasingly worldwide).  We are never happy and always want something new.  This is especially evident in children nowadays but we are all guilty of it to some extent.  I'm reminded of a phrase in the movie "Fightclub" where Brad Pitt's character says "The things that you own end up owning you".  Of course there are some things that you do actually really need.  But with hand on heart could you still enjoy astronomy without that new thing you have your eye on???  Oftentimes I'd suggest the answer is yes, you could.

So to address your question, beyond the immediate buzz of the new thing (whatever it may be, astronomy or otherwise), no it does not make you happy.  It makes you unhappy and uncontented, feeding the monster within that needs its next fix.

A very wise fellow astronomer of mine once advised against making the hobby buying stuff.  Good advice.  Fortunately I’m mean, careful with money, even though I am fortunate enough to be able to afford more kit or more expensive kit.  I hate buying stuff and not using it.  So, yes, sometimes I do the internet equivalent of window shopping. I enjoy looking at lovely stuff on line or at astronomy shows. But a little voice in my ear usually asks “Do you really need that?”. Usually I don’t. And what I have got, I use! 

Edited by Ouroboros

On 11/06/2020 at 05:47, cotterless45 said:

So so with this . I regret buying Astro gear in the past when I began and all that sparkled was thought to be essential. Now I've settled on the best gear I can afford and in that way am really happy.

Before you sit on money , remember that there's no pockets in a shroud. My parents had a huge house and money. It's now gone with mother being in a care home for ten years. They never went on holiday and had a pretty miserable life worrying about money !

We spend a right amount on holidays and trips. This has taken us to fabulous places and experiences. This has luckily included dark skies. If you really need to spend to enjoy the sky , then ensure you get to a dark sky ( when this virus has allowed).

Same for spending on our grandchildren, we have a weekly WhatsApp quiz and take their prizes ( games for indoors and the garden) around a few days later. You can spend for pleasure and memories. Sparkly things soon lose their lustre, just chill out and enjoy what you afford,

keep safe , 

Nick.

Nick , yours is probably the best answer ive seen on this thread . A realisation that money is in fact just a commodity .. yes we cant live without it , but its there for a reason . Some people will save and save for the metaphorical rainy day that gets hijacked by unplanned life changes . It doesn't mean they were wrong just as it doesn't mean spending on new astronomy gear is wrong .

• Like 1

Late to this thread ... but its such an interesting one that i want to comment . 

I am the typical "never satisfied " customer who is ALWAYS looking at the next purchase  . In that time i've had the same astro gear on more than one occasion ( three az-gti's Ahem!) . I was literally just saying to my wife that i am really happy with the gear ive got at the moment , and then i saw a celestron 8SE  up for sale !!! . Maybe its the thrill of buying new gear . 

Even i realise though that there will ALWAYS be something better out there . I have two fairly modest scopes now that have given me more pleasure in the short time i've owned them than anything else . Yes i need better eye pieces , yes i want a better barlow lens yes i want another star tracker but they can wait . 

The fact remains , although the gear is expensive " the sky will always be free ! 

• Like 2